MAM (married apple male) seeking new printer for Panther...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by phillyag, Jan 13, 2004.

1. phillyag macrumors newbie

Here's the scoop..... I am looking for a new printer that will function with Panther. Our old HP PSC 950 is not working out, so we're in a bind. Again, we are looking for an all-in-one printer, but one that is completely compatible with Panther, prints color, and is less than $300.

Forum users.... which printer do you recommend and why?

PLEASE HELP!!! :(

2. mahrpsgt macrumors newbie

I love my Epson

I purchased an Epson C84 which is an excellent printer and works perfectly with Panther. It's a printer only, but I saw on Epson's website (www.epson.com) an all-in-one printer (Epson Stylus CX5400) for $149.00. I don't have any experience with the all-in-one, but I like my printer because of the DuraBright ink that these new Epson printers use. It prints beautiful pictures and the ink is waterproof, smudgeproof, and dries instantly. I've only had it about a month, but I've been highly impressed with it. Also the Apple Rep at CompUSA where I bought it recommended Epson over HP and Canon, because Epson's drivers and software are Panther compatible and they are a more mac-friendly company than the other two, he said.
    Hope it helps!

3. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

4. big macrumors 65816

big

I would steer clear of Epson, I went through wo of them in 3 years... they are cheap for a reason. My S9000 is awesome, good enough to print 4x6 photos and offers 13x19 printing as well.

they're on the higher end, though I will say, worth yoour money.

5. Tobeupat4am macrumors newbie

Canon i865

HI, got a Canon i865 a few months ago (Australia $390) so would be cheaper US I guess. Excellent print, some reviews say better the 6 color printers, quick, quiet, and 5 different ink cartridges, large black, small black then three colour ones (or color). (Cartridges are cheap to replace as well, compared to my old printers, but have'nt needed to so far!!)

Also, does print directy onto CD-R or DVD, if ink jet printable surface on them ( not thermal, repeat... NOT Thermal) a real bonus for me, who needs to present final or draft work to clients in a professional manner (without hoping those old CD labels do not peel off in their slot loading CD/DVD drive)

I have had Epson and HP before, but find the leap forward with this one fantastic, well worth doing a search for reviews on it, and if you ever want to label your CD and DVDs in a permanent and professional manner (or simply avoid labels and felt pens) a great alternative, comes with the CD/DVD adapter.

If using for CD and DVDs the software that comes with Toast, Discus, has a template, and I guess you can also purchase it separately. (Much better then the Canon templates, as allows you to do curved printing, greater flexibilty with graphics etc)

6. Tobeupat4am macrumors newbie

7. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

8. macphisto macrumors regular

Epson or Canon

I have two Epson 2200s and use other Epsons on occasion and I have to say that print beautifully. Far better than some of the results that I have seen from HPs. I used Canon in the past and they were a good printer as well. I don't think that you can go wrong with either one. I prefer the Epsons though. I think that if you go with the Epson you won't regret it. www.zdnet.com reviews printers and have Epsons and Canons in their top five.

9. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I hope my HP 6110 all-in-one. Works like a charm under Panther. I hated Epson after they burned me by not supporting my old printer when moving to X. So I got an HP printer and man are they quiet compared to Epson. So when it came to the All-in-one it was between Canon and HP. The HP had a few more features, great price and I already knew the software and company.

Go to compusa.com and look up their stock.

10. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Re: Canon i865

For a little bit more money than the i865 - but well within your budget - you can get the i960.

Awesome printer, and one of the fastest too.

www.pricegabber.com will find it for under $180 for you :)

Check out this very thorough review.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/canon_i960.html

11. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I read a review in UK MacUser that said there were instances where banding was apparent. What does the Canon i865 print like, more so what does it print graduation of colour like.

I'm thinking of a Canon (pict bridge) or Epson 2100 or 1290s

PictBridge would be for connecting my Canon 300D directly.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I bought a CX6400 to take advantage of rebate for my ne PB 12". So far no problems. I have woned nothing but Epson printers for the last 15 years. Never had an issue with the build quality.

sSince photography is one of my big interests I am thinking about one of the HP's that take the gray ink so I can get BW prints without meterisim.

13. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Yeah, I'd like to get a good B/W print out of the printer, I had heard that the 2100 has two black inks to help with this.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: MAM (married apple male) seeking new printer for Panther...

I'd love to be able to tell you about a nice printer, but the printers are looking for rich unmarried partners.

Those married guys always lie and say they'll leave their wives, but never do.

So there's no sense in teasing these nice little printers about coming to live with you.

15. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Re: Re: MAM (married apple male) seeking new printer for Panther...

Oh, it's like that.

well, I don't mind so much what she looks like as long as she knows a bit about Mac OS X 10.3 and can cook really well, like world class chef standard.

You seen any?

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I have the 2200 on my XP system. Haven't tried to get it setup on the Mac as of yet. The issue with BW with the 2100/2200 is that there will some tinting/bronzing/metarisim. The HP is suposed to eliminate that.