man and the earth system II

Discussion in 'Community' started by Geert, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Saw a scientific program on TV Tuesday, about oil.
    Couple of British Scientist had investigated when earth's oil supply will end.
    see if I can get this typed:
    Somewhere in the 70ies for every full barrel we got out of mother earth, we only used 3/4 of that. in the 90ies we didn't get 1 full barrel anymore but 3/4 of a barrel, but are consuming 1 to 1,5 barrels. Now in the late 90ies, early 10ns we only get 1/2 a barrel out anymore, but consuming steady around 1,5 barrels. around 2005 we'll be getting less than half a barrel. But the demand will keep rising so fuel prices will elevate tremendously, and by 2010 oil will be scarse.
    a guy that works for some big oilcompanies said that in the 70ies they had no trouble finding big oil reserves, but that now we're down to smaller reserves which cost more money to exploit.
    so they're investigating other options to gain more out of the same area(like drilling sideways etc) that will extend the period a bit. But will at the end only be for the richest folks
    After we finally consumed almost everything of our oil supplies, we'll have gas, but because oil's gone, we'll be consuming that much gas, that we'll be through these reserves rather quickly as well (about 15yrs)
    So that leaves us the sun, water and ...hydrogen (an idea that I like much, we'll have cleaner air, cleaner water, ... you name it.)
    With sun's energy we'll have a clean energy source.
    and also hydrogen (some big carcompanies are having nice prototypes that run on hydrogen, only disadvantage is that they have has to be made liquid, which is still expensive, and that a robot needs to (re)fuel the car.
    So hydrogen is also very clean/cool stuff.

I very much like the idea of a cleaner earth, finished with descructing our atsmosphere.
    How 'bout you guys?

I know where I would invest my $$ in!! :D
    (if I had some)

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

we also have to take into account the rising population of the earth

in nearly 490 years, according to a math class i took, the world will have one square meter of land for each inhabitant (that was a measurement taken from the world growing at the rate it was in the 1970s, before mass measures were taken by countries in asia and europe to curb population growth)

because we won't be here in 490 years, or even in 390 years, is not a reason for us to just procreate like crazy and be wasteful

every measure we take now will make a huge difference in the future 400-500 years from now

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

I read a while back (at least some 3 years ago) that the future of cars would be hydrogen powered.

My +/- arguments:

+ Does not hurt our atmosphere
    + Can be more effecient than regular octane with the right mod cars (I think)

- Currently cars with this ability cost about $1 million
    - Hydrogen is not fully stable
    - Putting liquid H together takes time and money

I think there has to be another solution, something cheap, effective and harmless. It took a while before we discovered the light bulb, but it didn't take forever. :p

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Rule #1 - before posting technical info, do a little bit of research

One of the biggest advances that's going to come along in the near future with hydrogen powered systems is something called a fuel cell. Go on google and look it up - its what being used in the space program to supply power for any number of needs.

www.fuelcells.org has a bunch of great stuff. and fuelcell cars don't cost a million dollars.

there are also substitutes for gasoline - www.methanex.com

D

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i like the improvements electric/hybrid cars have been making

i remember the first one i saw in a car lot and today's version is so much cheaper and more efficient

time will make these vehicles even better and that's just one source

i think we will have to eventually stop relying on oil as our main source

some think that bin laden is a pawn, or minor player in the terrorism war and the big prize is sadaam hussein...this may be true and not gop propoganda to pump up bush/gop for midterm elections

the more i see the sophistiction of the terrorists, the more i see how our money spent on gas, of which some aids iraq, could bankroll the terrorists who run the terrorists who run the terrorists and so far down the line all the way to the one person cells in america and israel

i basically don't like the idea of shoveling money sadaam's way and i have nothing against iraq as i suspect a lot of people there don't like sadaam either