Man Barbecues Ex-Girlfriend

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MACDRIVE, Mar 27, 2007.

1. macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

2. mpw

Mmmmm spit-roast, yum.

3. Moderator emeritus

devilot

That is so tragic. It really is. She was only nineteen. :(

4. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

ah man... i watched Silence Of The Lambs just last night...

5. macrumors P6

dukebound85

that SOB deserves everything that's coming to him. i would show NO mercy towards this guy. who in their right mind would ever defend him

6. macrumors 6502a

i just had barbeque ribs for din-din...

not being able to choose my clients is one of the reasons that i don't see myself becoming a lawyer.

7. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I found the girl's myspace with a quick google. Makes it more real when you see pictures of them smiling with family and friends.

The man is either insane, or pure evil. It's people like that you wish you could just send back in time for a good flogging and hanging...

8. macrumors 6502a

jimN

I thought you could choose not to defend someone, especially if you know them to be guilty. Client-attorney privilege may prevent you from grassing them up but to defend someone you knew to be guilty would be perjury, so you must be allowed to refuse in certain circumstances.

9. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I wish you could hang people in the US. Personally, that would be cool with me.

10. macrumors 6502

Had I been a defense attorney I wouldn't actively seek out that kind of cases, but I wouldn't have turned him down either - everyone deserves a fair trial, even the ones you already know are guilty... ... then again I would never study to be any kind of attorney so it's kind of a moot point.

11. macrumors 68030

benthewraith

Well, you could be a prosecutor...

12. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yuck. I'm not sure how I would live with that.

If I knew my client was guilty then I would probably have to be fighting for some legal loophole. "Sorry, my client can't be punished because according to paragraph C subsection 12, the police officers were supposed to provide 3 copies of document X, and they only provided 2. Therefore, I move that this entire process infringes upon his privacy rights and he deserves to go free."

Ugh.

13. macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

thousands of american teens have met tragic deaths in iraq...

14. Moderator emeritus

devilot

That came outta nowhere. I never said tragedy doesn't exist in other forms. :rolleyes:

15. macrumors 68000

savar

Did somebody delete posts?? I'm having a hard time following this thread.

Anyway, I saw this on CNN. This kind of thing is so shocking to me, because we live in a country where Janet Jackson can't show a nipple, and nobody can roll a joint, but we can read about unspeakable evil on the front page of CNN.

This country would sell super bowls ads to the devil as long as he didn't smoke weed or show a tit.

There was a similar story last week about a poor girl who's favorite dog went missing...some jackal found the dog, chopped off its head, and sent it to her on valentines day with a box of chocolates. (Did I mention the girl's parents both died? She lives with her grandma and that dog was the most important thing in the world to her.)

But anyway, coming back to the topic: on the one hand, the idealist in me believes everybody deserves a fair trial. On the other hand, if we get to trial and this guy admits "yes I did chop up the person I claimed to love and then burned the remains on a weber grill" -- let's just stop the show there and bury the guy alive.

Why do we give attention to people like this? It just spreads the sickness further.

16. macrumors 68030

nbs2

Lawyers can choose their clients. But, a court can assign any lawyer to represent a client. You can ask to be recused, but usually under very strict provisions. The courts don't like to futz around.

Let me ask those of you who would refuse to defend him - what if the guy is a total nutjob? Or what if she came at him with a gun - maybe he killed her in self defense. Sure the disposal method was a probably a crime, but he wouldn't be guily of murder. Your swift condemnation is why every person needs to be defended.

17. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Ok, granted, everyone deserves consideration for extenuating circumstances. If the guy was a nutjob I would want him to be locked away in an institution or otherwise get professional help.

It's just that we hear all too often about folks whose circumstances are highly, highly, highly suspicious, who get off on a technicality (such as a police beaurocratic oversight) or pay their way out with an out-of-court settlement. They are clearly guilty, everyone knows it, they've all but admitted it, but they slip through the cracks. I would hate to be the (stereotypical, granted) sleazy lawyer trying to facilitate such arrangements.

You can probably think of some very high-profile ones, too.

18. macrumors 6502

19. macrumors 65816

zach

20. Guest

calculus

Nobody ever made a false confession then?

21. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm curious; do lawyer's usually know if their client is innocent or guilty?

I mean, the lawyer has to ask for their client's side of the story to defend them, and would be the first to see holes.

22. macrumors 68030

iPhil

Florida - Lethal injection unless inmate elects electrocution. If lethal injection or electrocution held unconstitutional, then any legal method.

:eek: Umm any legal means

23. macrumors 603

wordmunger

As I've aged, I've gradually become more and more opposed to the death penalty. As a teen and into my 20s, I was wholeheartedly in favor of it. Now I think it's a bad idea to punish murderers by murdering. Throw the guy in jail for life. That should be punishment enough.

24. macrumors 68030

princealfie

Hmm... well we could roast that guy on a Mickey D's grill and serve him up to customers as fast food. I suspect that most fast food is the product of dismemberment anyways.

25. macrumors 68000

spicyapple

This gives new meaning to "roasting someone at dinner".