Man claims a bear saved him from mountain lion attack.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Mar 31, 2012.

1. macrumors Core

MacNut

http://main.aol.com/2012/03/29/bear-saves-man-from-mountain-lion_n_1391286.html

2. macrumors G5

Macman45

They always say the golden rule of thumb with bears is NOT to make eye contact. If you do you run the risk of being attacked, but if you are not, a bond can be established. That is perhaps what happened here. The guy had been observing these bears for a while, and the mother knew he was around...She was, however far more likely to be protecting her young than going out of her way to save his life.

Good story though.

3. macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'll be honest (and a grump) and say it all sounds like a load of bollocks. Bruises look less like a mountain lion attack and more like an elderly man who had a fall and takes regular aspirin.

And it is in the huffington.....

4. Guest

eric/

Is is perfect for a little inside joke I have with a few friends. Good post.

5. macrumors 603

Dang. I had read the title as a 'beer' saved the man's life. I kept waiting for the beer ....

6. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Huffington isn't the only one that has the story, and I admit to being skeptical as well since there are no other witnesses.

7. macrumors 6502

Read it the other day in sky news aswell

8. macrumors 68000

RawBert

Looks like the mountain lion 'hulking feline' bit his thumb off.

9. macrumors 68000

Hoax.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/01/SPGO1NSU3S.DTL

In case the link doesn't work, the wounds are inconsistent, as is everything else. He accuses Fish and Game dept as Gestapo, makes all sorts of claims that he is One with wild animals and plays with them, etc. Claims about his healing powers... the more he talks, the less you can believe.

All bogus, yet fun reading about. My favorite outdoor hoax continues to be the Bigfoot in the freezer one. Absolutely guaranteed to be proven a hoax, a gorilla suit in the freezer, yet people with something to lose went ahead with it.

10. macrumors 68020

Good thing a sea-rhinoceros didn't hear, he would of been in big trouble :D

11. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The guy was probably try to catch the bear by digging large hole, filling it with ash, and then lining it with peas. :D

12. macrumors 601

Yvan256

Wow, I'm NOT going to buy Mountain Lion for my Mac mini, they're too dangerous!

13. macrumors G5

Consultant

Wow. That guy seems nutty.

14. macrumors 6502

I thinks we should to conclude that his meds fell out of his backpack when the puma attacked. He's clearly not taking them.

15. macrumors 6502

IFF the story is true, I suspect momma bear saw the cat as a treat to her young and acted accordingly as opposed to deliberately going out of her way to save the man.

16. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And observation mentioned by Macman45 in Post #2.

17. macrumors newbie

MikaelThib

Next os x major release

this clearly hints at OS X 10.9 Bear followed by OS X Polar Bear :D... Following the pattern of the Leopard and Lion.

18. macrumors 601

mscriv

What do you mean "no other witnesses", the mountain lion and bear obviously saw the whole thing. It's my understanding that thus far they have simply declined to comment. ;)

19. macrumors 603

blueroom

Pics or it didn't happen.
    [​IMG]

20. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Saved him for later.

21. macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Bad press for Apple's upcoming OS. :D

22. macrumors 65816

:p

23. macrumors 68030

Hmm... probably fighting over food....

24. macrumors 603

Not entirely true. Polar bears will eat you if you they hungry. Even a little bit hungry. Humans are seen as just another source of food, and you aren't the biggest or meanest thing they eat. Unless you have a gun. And know how to use it. A Grizzly may try to eat you if they are really hungry, and may attack you just because they are grumpy (like being sick or injured, or having just woken up from a nap).

There's an old anecdote from around here, where we have black bears and occasionally Grizzlies.
    1) When walking around in the forest, carry a walking stick with bells (the jingling warns the bear to your approach) and carry pepper spray just in case.
    2) Pay attention to any scat you find on the trail to determine if there is a bear, and what kind they are. A black bear's scat will often include berries and the bones of small mammals. A Grizzly bear's scat will often include bells and smell like pepper.

:)