Man Convicted of Setting Woman on Fire

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mintlivedotcom, Apr 30, 2006.

1. mintlivedotcom macrumors regular

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

How awful! Some people are truly just terrible. :mad: :(

3. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That's an understatement. :rolleyes: :(

5. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

I think iGary posted something about this a few weeks ago...

Crazy S***

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Yep, that is iGary's and mine neck of the woods.

What is amazing is just how strong this woman has been after the deed. Her resolve has given me pause on my complaints about my life.

7. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Just stay in here, it's safer.

Can't watch the video as am at work but it's nice to know that someone took the time to film it rather than offering help! (although i hope that this is off CCTV). We have had three fire bombings of newsagents in three weeks in my local area and I drove by the most recent on the way to work yesterday evening - a man was killed and so it has become a murder enquiry. Always nice to be reminded how crap an area you live in and to realise that your fellow man can be a complete sh*t.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It was CCTV footage.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That it is. Sad & scary to think that we live in a world that is inhabited by people (or really monsters would be a better term) like this. :mad: :(

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The bigger question is maybe how this trial lasted for as long as it did. After watching the video, it's a quick decision in my opinion --- first degree attempted murder.

Could he get a death penalty where he lives?

11. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I think one of the saddest things about the whole incident was that just the day before (or a few days before) the woman was set on fire a judge had denied her attempt to get a restraining order against the man.

Honestly, I'm surprised the man didn't plead guilty with all the evidence stacked against him.

12. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

max is life in prison

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That is sad...although a restraining order may have done little to influence this guys actions. :(

That would seem like the likely thing for the guy to have done. :rolleyes:

14. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

It took 7 & 1/2 hours to come back with a guilty verdict. That is not saying anything good about the world we live in. I suppose my vision is a bit unrealistic but if I were the jury foreman I would have told the jury not to even bother choosing a seat.

15. After G macrumors 68000

After G

You know, they could always set him on fire as his punishment ... :eek: :p :D

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sounds good!

17. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

While the evidence from our view is overwhelming we know little of the defendant's defense strategy. I believe there would be something to debate as to whether he had planned to kill his wife or whether it was a rash act. If he wasn't in his proper state of mind and it was a spur of the moment thing then first degree attempted murder wouldn't be applicable. I think in that case it would be attempted manslaughter. So...depending on how the action came about, a guilty verdict of first degree attempted murder may or may not be applicable. It's just a guess, but that's what probably took them so long to agree. Verdicts shouldn't be taken so lightly or given with such bias/prejudice. The jurors should definitely debate whether the evidence presented to them proves beyond a reasonable doubt that the charge(s) the prosecution brought against the defendent fit the crime. The news coverage really has only given one side of the story so we really are in no position to judge the man fairly. Now, with that said, do I think the whole incident is tragic? Absolutely. Am I happy with the guilty verdict. Yes. IMHO, I'm glad the jury took a long time to deliberate because it shows that they tried to think this verdict through.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Like I said, I was shocked as well, but when you think about it, he's a guy who lives in a country where a guy like R. Kelly can get away with no jail time for having sex with 13-15 year old girls even when there's video evidence of him doing it, and over 80+ pieces of evidence in 2 different states......Illinois (Chicago) AND Florida (Miami). Oh, and he pees on 14 year old girls and 1 week later, he makes a music video and releases a critically aclaimed hit album, and all is well. :rolleyes:

19. mintlivedotcom thread starter macrumors regular

For me, spur-of-the-moment ususally doesn't involve pouring flammable liquid into a water bottle, driving to a store, throwing the liquid on someone, chasing them inside the store, following them outside the store, and using a lighter or match to ignite the chased person.

It involves my fist.

20. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Spur of the moment my ass. That's as pre-meditated as the tokyo subway attacks. You don't just light someone on fire in the middle of a store unexpectedly.

21. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Okay, fine. Still, if you are in a rage and not in your normal frame of mind during the whole process you can still argue that it wasn't first degree murder (I think, the hubby would have to confirm). That's probably what the defense tried to do (temporary insanity--which doesn't always last "spur of the moment" per se--or something like that). Remember, I'm not saying that I disagree with the verdict (I absolutely do agree). I'm just saying that I'm glad the jury spent the time to re-evaluate everything to make sure the prosecution proved their case. It's very difficult to not want to rule based on the pure emotional aspect of the case.