Man gets $218 Trillion phone bill

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Peyton, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Who did they call? Mars?

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (April 10) - A Malaysian man said he nearly fainted when he received a $218 trillion phone bill and was ordered to pay up within 10 days or face prosecution, a newspaper reported Monday.

Yahaya Wahab said he disconnected his late father's phone line in January after he died and settled the $23 bill, the New Straits Times reported.

But Telekom Malaysia later sent him a $218 trillion bill for recent telephone calls along with orders to settle within 10 days or face legal proceedings, the newspaper reported.

It wasn't clear whether the bill was a mistake, or if Yahaya's father's phone line was used illegally after after his death.

"If the company wants to seek legal action as mentioned in the letter, I'm ready to face it," the paper quoted Yahaya as saying. "In fact, I can't wait to face it," he said.

Yahaya, from northern Kedah state, received a notice from the company's debt-collection agency in early April, the paper said. Yahaya said he nearly fainted when he saw the new bill.

Government-linked Telekom Malaysia Bhd. is the country's largest telecommunications company.

A company official, who declined to be identified as she was not authorized to speak to the media, said Telekom Malaysia was aware of Yahaya's case and would address it. She did not provide further details.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

nor would they address a link to the story :/

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

eva01, here's a link for you.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12247590/

Wow, I wouldn't want to be that guy. I'm sure it was a mistake, and the phone company will figure it out, but it's still more hassle than I would want to deal with.

4. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

So THAT'S how the Bush gov't is planning on paying the deficit! Nice! :rolleyes:

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Told ya those day rate will kill ya......don't get me on the text message thing.

Bless

7. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

All joke about texting and 900 numbers aside, this has to be either the funniest or dumbest line of the article. What person, journalist or not, would think that any amount of use of the line could total even $1t (illegal or not)? Even with inflation, this is only three months...Sometimes I wonder how dumb people can be. I really hope that was mentioned as a joke...