Man Gets Searched for having Slim CDs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xparaparafreakx, Jun 7, 2006.

1. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/15149/Car_Searched_For_Suspicion_Of_Pirated_Music

"Carmas Jonah McLaughlin appeals his conviction for possession of marijuana with intent
    to distribute. He contends the police did not have probable cause to search the vehicle he
    occupied and that the evidence was insufficient to support his conviction. ...Officer Goins observed a semi-automatic
    pistol on the passenger seat and several compact disks (CDs) in the car.
    Officer Goins suspected the CDs were "pirated," because they were in a "poor quality
    made CD case with the labeling." He requested assistance from two other officers that had
    received training concerning CDs. Minutes later, Officers Barker and Perkins arrived. Officer
    Barker testified that he saw CDs on the front passenger seat and on the floorboard of the car. He
    testified that "based on [his] training with the recording industry the thin cases and the
    homemade labels in the cases led [him] to believe they were bogus CDs." He explained:
    They were thin case CD's and the labels on them were real blurry.
    You couldn't really make out the reading on them that well. You
    could just look at them and tell that they were bogus.
    Concluding that the CDs were illegitimate, the officers seized the CDs they saw and searched the car for others."

I can have my AK-47 or M82 or M4A1M203 out but I better put away my slim cased cds away.

2. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK - there's an unsecured semi-automatic pistol just lying there, and they have to pin a reasonable cause for searching the car on --- FREAKING SUSPECTED COPYRIGHT VIOLATION CD's?

Y'all have one seriously #$#*(&#-up system there - you know that, right?

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yup...we can all sleep safer tonight guys and girls...i know i will

Bless

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

While I totally disagree with what went down, I love it when the druggie feels wronged by the criminal justice system.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's great. Three officers to handle CDs. I hope the original officer could handle the marijuana on his own. They probably smoked it while listening to the CDs after putting him in jail. :p

It reminds me of the idiotic undercover officer in a small town in Ohio where I lived. He said that he had a headache and when someone brought him Tylenol, he arrested them for dealing in drugs. :D

7. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

umm he had a gun. Am I missing something? Or is America really so gun crazy that you can just have one sitting on your passenger seat?

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It wasn't concealed. Had it been partially hidden, they'd been upset about it.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

In Canada you have to have a permit to transport a handgun from point A to point B, it has to be unloaded, locked in a gun safe, any ammunition has to be locked in a separate safe. Plus a couple of other things I can't remember. There is no such thing as a civilian carry permit for a handgun.

That is just. totally. mindboggling.

10. calculus Guest

calculus

What a country. I am so glad I don't live there but so sad that they have such an influence on the rest of the world.

11. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I can't even begin to describe how ****ed up that is. You know you have a problem when police are more interested in pirated CDs, than a ****ing hand gun.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

AFAIK, in VA it is illegal to conceal a handgun if you do not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. So keeping the handgun in plain view at all times is required by law.

Bogus CDs? Good thing have an iPod and don't have to carry around all my mix CDs anymore...

Lethal

13. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

wow :eek: america scares me more than I thought it did.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't worry too much about the people toting guns. I've had two guns held on me. I've lived in an area where people had gun racks in the windows of their pickup trucks. There are worse things out there.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's kinda like learning about all the germs and bacteria all over everything then freaking out about sanitation even though they'd always been and never caused you any harm.

Lethal

16. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

This is just it.

For every case we hear of a policeman misusing his authority, there's another where they've had to jump through various hoops because of a defendant's entitlements. Thanks to European legislation on human rights, there is all sorts of nonsense happening in the UK legal system, with convicted criminals making spurious cases, all encouraged by lawyers and paid-for through taxation.

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, I actually don't really disagree with the bust -- I take it that this wasn't a mix CD that the buy was playing on his car deck, but actually a forgery of a commercial CD with a reproduction of the sleeve art -- which producing and selling is a crime.

No doubt the police were after this guy anyway on the drug beef, and they latched onto a clever, and legal, way to detain and search.

Ummm... this sheep will be quite happy to never, never have to make that rationalization.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Regular Tylenol or Tylenol III?

19. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The headline, "Slim CDs", made me think this was going to be a reference to this album, one of my all-time favorites:

[​IMG]

"0097", by Slim (an English songstress)... a few of the songs from this CD are regulars on Groove Salad (on Soma FM).

20. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

yeah, and i was shot at when i was last in Johannesburg, but the americans gun laws still scare me...

21. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Hey we like going to the extremes over our right to bear arms.... :D

22. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

i've read lots of legal opinions. I agree with the decision, but the story smells rotten.

I must say that I believe that the police decided that the car or driver was suspicious for some reason. I don't know what kind of name "Carmas" is, but the whole thing sounds like some kind of profiling issue. The cops decided that they were searching that car, no matter how innocent things looked. When they couldn't find a reasonable justification, they went with "priated CDs." How idiotic.

23. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

No, but you have to set priorities.

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Regular Tylenol. Besides that, the guy was showing this tattered photocopy of a DD-214 that didn't even look real.

I know what you mean. During the first couple of years I lived in Floriduh, the governor signed a law that would erase any history of the sale of a gun within 48 hours, so that it couldn't be tracked. The police and sheriff's departments were against it but the National Rifle Association had complete control of the state government, as does any business here.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've got CDs of stuff I bought off iTMS and burned specifically for my car with the album artwork on the cover - is that enough to justify a search?