Man hurt in bridge bungee stunt

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Jan 20, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, I'd have to give this a :rolleyes:

All that prep, knowing you're going to need to get in the water fast and you bring along a blunt knife? What a moron - was this an attempt to get a Darwin Award?

D

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

what's even more scarey (apart from jumping off the Clifton Suspension Bridge) is actually hitting the River Avon.... it's filthy... full of chemicals and god knows what.... infact I'm surprised it didn't fuel the fire there's that many pollutants in it.... :p

4. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i give this a HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... HAHAHAHAHAHA... man that is just hilarious!

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

its happened before :D

http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/engl/marling/60s/pages/richoux/

And its always been a bit of a joke ever since....

D

6. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    hahaha, i live in that area (the river runs straight through my town) and i've always found that to be hilarious. the river is fine now (i hope cause i used to play in it as a kid) but we'll NEVER hear the end of that one!

:D

7. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I was actually gonna take a walk up to the suspension bridge around that time on Saturday but I decided to stay in and do some work instead! Damn I wish i went, I probably would have been there at that time.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It is very stupid, but also sad. I hope that he will recover fully. He needs to learn that it is all in the preparation, there can never be too much preparation.

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....yeah, you feel sorry for the guy but at the time want to say "what an idiot." File under "stupid people tricks." Bungy jumping itself is great fun and very safe when done properly. Duff-Man has done the deed at The Bungy Zone ....what a rush.....oh yeah!

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i still think the guy who jumped in the lion cage cuz God told him to takes my vote, but this guy is running second. What does he want, attention?

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This is never going to happen to me. I'm not going to light myself on fire (intentionally anyway), I'm definitely not going to bungee jump off of a bridge while on fire, and I keep my knives nice and sharp.

12. Pseudonym macrumors regular

What amused me was the reaction of the spokesman for the bridge. His first point was that it was against bye-laws - if only the man had known that! He'd never had done it! I guess the spokesman had a small moustache and a peaked cap on!

At the risk of adding a too somber note to the thread, I used to live a couple a miles downstream from the bridge. Often we would hear the helicopters hunting the river for suicides:(

13. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

It's funny, but sad since the man has serious injuries. Sheesh, there must be something better to do with your Saturday afternoon.

14. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Its strange how news spreads, this guy is actually a friend of a friend. He's pretty much always doing crazy stuff as far as I know. I think he's been into setting himself on fire and throwing himself into rivers for quite a while and I guess this was just a progression. Additionally I heard it wasn't actually a bungee jump but a bridge swing.

Some people get a real buz out of this sort of thing, I dont think we should all just criticise them. I say "Here's to the crazy ones!"

Hope he gets well soon anyway.