Man, I LOVE scammers!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pdpfilms, Jan 4, 2007.

1. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Nice. Got an email the other day from a "Dr Emeka Idei" the other day. It was a very gracious offer to include me in his plan to make "$28,000,000 MILLION US DOLLARS!"...(is that actually $28 Trillion? You decide!) Give it a read:

I had no choice but to accept his kind offer, and replied with the following email.

I decided my name should be Orson Welles. Unfortunately, I didn't change the name assigned to my email address (my real name), so it showed up in his "from" field. He responds with the following email.
    Great! I've been accepted by his generous charitable program! My response:
    At this point, I'm waiting on his response. I can't wait to see where this goes. Any suggestions on future messages from experienced scammer-scammers?

This is going to be fun:D :D ;)

2. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

dude i had that same email. i just told the to eff off b/c im only 14.

3. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Hahahahaha! That's great. I wonder how massive a campaign this particular scam is?

4. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

5. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Nice Job. Keep us updated. :)

Try to get scammers to believe that you actaully want their scam is almost as fun as talking to tele-marketers. :D :p

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I get those emails from time to time. Next one I will play along and see what happens. Keep us updated though!

7. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

That site is a gold mine! I have some good ideas now, and some professional guidance to assist in my journey :) . I'll post back with his response.

8. mac17 macrumors regular

lol wow this is great, i got aton of them while trying to sell my laptop on ebay i just sent them an email full of curses a paragraph long insulting them for insulting my intelligence (who would actually be stupid enough to beleive them?) but what you did is much better i think im gonna try that!:rolleyes:

9. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Hahaha, this is great! I do the same kind of thing to telemarketers, I have a great time messing with them.

10. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Uh oh, not good:
    Let's see if I can salvage the project:

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

haha. i always assumed these things were mass produced and that you wouldn't actually receive responses so tailored to what you said. keep us posted.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well they do have to make some attempt at appearing to establish a genuine relationship with you in order for the scam to work, so personal responses are a must. It's all about the customer service!

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hah, well i know that. my point was that i always took it as a spam with no point, as opposed to trying to phish for info.

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm too lazy to look it up - what is your relationship (if any) to the address in Kenosha, WI. Also, it would be beneficial if you made sure that the address does not belong to another person. You don't want to be responsible for a little old grandma getting roughed up (yes, they do have an American presence).

Also, I like your recovery on the phone. I don't know if they will understand the LiteBrite concept - if available in Nigeria, it may have been marketed under a different name. Perhaps a more generic explanation - a children's toy.

Remember, if they don't get back to you soon, you may have to get a bit desperate to make lots of money. Early communication is key to developing a good relationship (unless she gets a restraining order, but that's another story for another day;))

17. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Update:

I've concluded that having received my real name and by using my real email address, it would be to risky to continue this particuler antiscam. However, I set up a new gmail account and am pretending he sent the same email to that account as well (I'm guessing thousands were sent out and there's no way for him to keep track). Here's the NEW antiscam.

18. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

We should all pretend we are Steven Jobbs :D

19. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Yeah, the last thing I want is to cause someone harm from this. The address is the birthplace of Orson Welles, who wrote, directed, produced, and starred in "Citizen Kane". I doubt anyone lives there as it's probably been converted into a historic site for the town. Haha- I'd love to see this guy put all the effort into coming to the states, getting to Wisconsin, and then showing up at "Orson Welles Birthplace! $5 entry fee, no flash photography please!". Nevertheless, I'm calling this one off and starting up the Steven Jobbs angle. Stay tuned!

20. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I've always wanated to reply to scammers, but my email uses my real name and my real name is pretty unique, Caspar.

Keep us posted. :D

21. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

22. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

This is fun, why don't I ever get spam or telemarketer calls?

23. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

What's your email and phone number? ;)

24. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Alright, he bought the second email, and replied with the same one as above. Heeeeere we go!

Note- The phone number provided was created using www.J2.com. It's a free voicemail-only account. It will cost him bunches of money to dial, provide a means to hear his pathetic schemes in speech, and frustrate him as Mr. Jobbs will never answer the phone. Also, notice the name of the last credit account option... "Mutually Artificial Monetary Interaction Account"... there couldn't be a better description for what's going on right here.

All the information above has been completely made up. Not a single line of it is based in truth. The types of credit accounts were made up, the address is the Manhattan Apple Store, the job does not exist. It's all fun and games.

25. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Maybe not THAT fun. :p