Man killed on Disneyland's Thunder Mountain ride

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Sep 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Google New York Times link

2. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

oh... thats great. That really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I go to Disneyland and have to now have to worry about getting killed by a kiddie coaster.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

looks like disney is gonna be writing some checks real soon. that is gonna freak parents out now when they take their children.

iJon

4. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Honestly, that ride has ALWAYS bugged me...It has never felt safe for me....

5. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Disney is definitely going down, or at least Eisner is. He already has his hands full of legal problems with Miramax and Pixar and now this, which happens to be the 10th death since the park opened in the 50's. Disney is such a bad corp. I'm just glad that they weren't able to cover up this event like the countless other ones that have happened.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That makes me glad that we didn't go to Magic Kingdom at DisneyWorld when we were there yesterday.

The incident reminds me of why I call Test Track "Crash Test". :(

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

damn...that's freaky...I always imagined that ride going awry whenever I've ridden it in the past...

scary... :eek:

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i always hated disney world anyways, just got boring after a while. gotta be young to enjoy that place. i still like six flags way more, but still i am getting tired of roller coasters and rides. i get sick to easily. when i was younger i could ride those rides from opening to closing while my mom would get sick, now im like her.

iJon

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Dr Q,

Left off this

There have been about 55 deaths at theme parks in the last 15 years, according to a Web site, www.themeparkinsider.com , which keeps track of such accidents.

For those who don't want to register at the NYTimes.

10. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Heh everytime i went on them it felt like you would just fall off....scary for those people on the ride that day

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I used to always wonder...

"what if this thing (the car) flies off the track & smacks the overhead railings?!"

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It is a very sad story. I was on that ride, probably about 14 years ago. You can never take safety for granted.

My thoughts go out to his family amd friends!

13. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I guess I'm safe because I can't afford to go to Disneyland very often, whether I want to or not.

Well, actually, I'm not safe after all because

(1) I was given some free Disneyland tickets, which I haven't used yet, for being a frequent blood donor.

(2) Even if the rides are made safer, the food might get you. Disneyland has the worst food of any theme park I know. My friend and I got food poisoning once at the Monorail Cafe. Now I know to be careful which food I eat there.

14. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I was on the ride in July !
    Sad. I hope the improve the maintenance of all rides !

15. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

oh I know! It always seemed like a poorly designed ride, given the odd up-and-down structure, and the coach you sit in. IIRC it does not have a bar across the lap but merely a bar to hold on to.

As for the food at Disneyland, the one time i can remember eating there was at the pizza place...quite poor if i do recall :D :D

16. iTag macrumors newbie

was on it way back in 97 and to be honest it didnt look safe then but still i flew from the uk to go to the rat house dont ask parents wanted to visit florida must be a old folks thing

Very Sad for the family my respects to them all

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes, sad indeed.

Disney need to repair more then rides to get me to watch anything disney again (execpt Winnie The Pooh)

I was there, no problems. in the past.

18. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Ya know, I'm into bashing the whole Disney "thing" as much as the next person, but we have to remember the millions and millions of people that have ridden this ride since it opened, what, 15 years ago? Sure, a death is unacceptable, but considering the percentatge overall, it's safer to ride something in a theme park than it is to pile in the car afterwards for the drive home.

The reason things like this stand out is precisely because of the enourmous saftey requirements and attention to detail of theme parks in general, espeically high profile ones. We hardly blink anymore at car crashes, so when something like this hits, the flames are fanned big time, and unfair monikers such at "Death Train Claims Life at Happiest Place on Earth" peak like an out of control EKG.

The truth still remains that theme park rides that serve hundreds of thousands of people for years at a time are overwhelmingly incident free.

No, I'm not a stockholder. No, I'm not a "Disneyland Apologist." And, we don't know the circumstances surrounding this incident yet, nor does one "expect to take their life in their hands" when buying a ticket to ride on an amusement park attraction. But my chances of meeting my maker driving to the local Apple store are still greater than taking a ride on Big Thunder Mountain.

19. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks for making that point, voicegy . I recommend the book Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and Its Consequences by John Allen Paulos to everyone who is worried about being injured on Thunder Mountain (or being hit by a meteor). You don't have to have a math background (or even like math in school) to appreciate Paulos' commonsense descriptions of how people make false assumptions in everyday life based on math misunderstandings. There's an excerpt at amazon.com.

20. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Turns out the man who was killed actually bled to death, Disneyland officials have not yet commented on the coroners report. This brings to mind the incident where the (inexperienced) captain of the Kingdom Queen ferryboat hit an 8 yr old boy and his mother who were stuck on the water sprite jetskis, the captain reversed the boat and ran over the mother killing her, but before Disney called the police they had their own divers find the body etc. and tethered to a buoy waiting for hours until it became dark so the visitors wouldnt see the accident and the ride wouldnt have to be shut down. Or how about when a man who got claustrophobic at SpaceShip Earth and couldn't find anyone to stop the ride jumped off but got ground up in a motor. Disney blocked off the view and sent 'hosts' into the crowd to question witnesses to find out just how much they saw, taking names and personal information of those who might later turn up in any lawsuit testimony all before calling an ambulance.
    I wonder if they pulled a similar stunt with this poor man's accident?

21. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    I looked up those rides as I've never heard of them, and discovered they are at Disneyworld, which I've never been to. My search came up with a rather fascinating site:

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/parks/

22. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

According to the Los Angeles Times, "Amusement park safety advocate Kathy Fackler, once one of Disney's outspoken critics" said "This is the first accident where I say, 'Yes, this is how the system should work.'" Her point is that Disneyland had onsite paramedics at Big Thunder Mountain within 2 minutes of the accident, and police and other investigators were allowed to study the site before Disneyland's own investigators. This is a complete switch from 1998, when Disneyland kept officials away from the site of the Columbia sailing ship accident until they cleaned up the area, and witnesses were not allowed to speak freely to investigators.

So this accident is unfortunate, but it is good news that Disneyland has changed its procedures to obey the laws passed since the previous accident. No more coverups.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I worked at Six Flags Magic Mnt. in CA a couple of years ago when that girl was killed. She worked on the Revolution ride (I worked a couple of rides over on FlashBack). We watched as the ambulance came rushing out of the back. Scary, she had worked there longer than I had, and she just slipped. Dead, instantly. I feel bad for the people on the ride. Made me really want to switch departments (started working on the Batman Stunt Show a few weeks later, not much safer).

24. gello2424 macrumors member

That sucks about that guy I was just on that ride a week before. I remember the local news here in Cali. saying that the guy was skipping school.

For some reason I see his family driving some really nice cars here in the near future.

25. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Police officials have closed their investigation into the accident. They found "no criminal culpability or negligence".

One fact was revealed: An employee heard an odd "metallic clanking" noise coming from the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ride 30 to 45 minutes before the crash. He finally decided to pull the ride out of service when the train came back to the station. It never made it that far.

There is still a separate state probe in progress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.