Man removed from flight for praying

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Sep 6, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

"He had some sort of cover over his head. He was reading from a book. He wasn't exactly praying out loud but he was lurching back and forth."

A man flying from Montreal to NYC last Friday, who spoke neither english nor french, was removed from the aircraft because the airline claims that passengers were nervous.

Was this appropriate?
    The man was an Orthodox Jew http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2006/09/05/qc-hasidicprayeronplane.html[/color]

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I think it was appropriate... I mean, you're on a commercial airliner... you sit down, shut up and behave yourself in the current climate. You don't cover yourself up and start rocking backwards and forwards.

I'm not saying automatically throw people off for doing what he did, as I'm sure he did nothing wrong, but if he was making people nervous then surely it's better to be safe than sorry. He's still free to rock back and forth with a towel over his head when he's on solid ground.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

When you act like a lunatic on a plane you're just asking for trouble.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

If it was me, I would have gone into the restroom, a private place to do it.

I understand his freedom to practice his religion, and I do think people should be allowed to do it, but not inside an aluminum tube that goes nearly 500 knots at 35,000 feet.

Sorry, a line has to be drawn, and I think God would understand if you missed a prayer because you were flying. ;)

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if it's appropriate, then i expect to see anyone praying to a christian god to be thrown off as well. mid-air, if that's when it happens.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

9. iGary Guest

iGary

What if the Christian religion required lighting candles and screaming at the top of your lungs?

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I see you've been to a Pentacostal service before...

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Does that mean I could have had the woman sitting next to me on the bus this morning thrown off? She was reading her Bible out loud in a low mumble and breaking into hymns?

Suspect I'd have suggested the guy warn the passengers/stewards beforehand (although lack of language might have been tricky) and prayed in a less flamboyant way or in private.

12. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Ignorance!!! No the guy shouldn't have been removed from the plane. I smell a lawsuit.

13. Lau Guest

Completely inappropriate. I'm not a huge fan of religion, but people should have the right to practise their religion in public if they're not hurting anyone. And making a load of excessively jumpy passengers nervous does not count as hurting anyone in my book.

He could have been terrified of flying and was praying because of that. Would you have become nervous and got a middle-aged woman chucked a off a plane for praying in the standard Christian palms together stance? If not, what's the difference? Because he's young? Male? Wasn't speaking English? Was dressed "funny"?

Edit: Well, that obviously took a while to type. :eek: :D

Edit again: Actually, Applespider, that's a good point. Going by what terrorist attacks we've had in Britain, buses and trains are just as much of a target, and a hell of a lot easier. Perhaps we should ban praying on them, along with liquids, rucksacks and shoes. ;)

14. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

heheheheheh:D
    that was funny

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think all passengers should be required to pray, before, during and after.

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

How about a Football Match?

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Pentacostal, Nazarene, Church of God, Assembly of God...they're all quite enthusiastic.

Maybe covering his head was a bit much and I've seen people do it but everyone has to make adjustments for the current conditions. Now, if they could just do something about the screaming kids behind me kicking my seat...

18. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

Wow. this airline is idiotic.

almost as idiotic as Quantas and Korean air banning apple laptops cause of a small amount of sony batteries going bad.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm hoping for a Christian to be thrown off a plane for praying, so we can see how many rush to shout "persecution!" when they'd say nothing or worse about this case.

20. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I wish my kids understood that rule.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Are people allowed to be jumpy, scared or frightened anymore? Or, should we just shut up when one of the more extremist religious groups starts acting strangely. I honestly don't know the question but religious observance in this day and age aboard an airplane is just asking for trouble.

What's the flight time between Montreal and New York? Around two hours? It seems to me that on such a short flight, it wouldn't hurt for the guy to wait a teeny tiny bit to do whatever he was doing on the plane. I'm totally against fear mongering, but to me, people engaging in religious behaviour is like watching people have sex. It's private, it's personal and nobody else should be forced to watch.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's like saying there should be no thought on aeroplanes. What are you going to do? Frisk people?

23. Lau Guest

People are allowed to be jumpy and frightened, but should that be pandered to enough to eject a innocent man who was doing nothing wrong off a plane? Do people really think a terrorist who wants to get up in the air and blow a plane up is going to be praying out loud and rocking and drawing attention to himself?

I don't really get how watching someone pray is like watching people have sex (apart from being slightly less fun ;) ). The point is though, that people are allowed to pray in public, not whether you personally like seeing it or not. By dragging a guy off a plane for praying, even though he's allowed to do it in any other method of transportation and in any other public space, doesn't make any sense.

24. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think we also need to ask the question of whether it was only a matter of praying. Rocking back and forth while chanting out loud isn't exclusive to religious behaviour, a lot of crazies do it as well. Given the guy didn't speak English or French it seems prudent of the airline to at least verify his sanity. There have been quite a number of cases of erratic behaviour on planes where the passenger has posed a threat to his fellow passengers.

I'm against public displays of faith no matter where they take place. But, on a plane, in the current climate, you have to admit the guy was asking for trouble. He's young, swarthy, covers his head, doesn't speak English or French AND he's flying to New York... Hmmmm.... If you were an airline attendant who couldn't speak his language, would you take the risk?

25. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I was being sarcastic, but it didn't come across in the text, hence my removing my comment (you're too quick!)

Not a religious person myself, I still think people both sides of this argument have to realise and appreciate that there are people with religious needs and a lot of people who don't understand these needs.

.. IMO this stinks of another 'terror everywhere' load of BS.