Man says live wire in bath was to save marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Oct 28, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Hmmm... Should he be sentenced to walk the plank and drown at sea or be given the electric chair?

Maybe he thought he could get rid of her with a heart attack from fright? He's either lying, deranged, or at a minimum extremely cruel.

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Kinda like the girl who abducted herself to help her relationship with her bf.
    Good job Audry.

4. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that it is a little of all of the above. I'm not an expert on electricity, but he claims that there was some kind of interrupter on the line. Meaning that as soon as it hit the water the circuit breaker would kick in.

Still not quite the correct way to get back with your wife. Counseling should have been the first choice.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I suspect that the GFI which cut the power was something he hadn't counted on. Now it's his excuse. Trying to push her back into the tub is very suspicious. Apparently, the jury thought so as well.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

A ground-fault interrupter is like a circuit-breaker at the outlet... They're the outlets in bathrooms that have a "TEST" and "RESET" button on them.

And if he knows what a GFI is, he knows that it's a failsafe, not reliable enough to intentionally protect a life. He was trying to kill her. He deserves to go to prison, for as long as the law allows.

paul

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, all bathrooms and kitchens should use ground fault interrupters these days, and that's how they install them in new and remodeled housing. They prevent shocks and electrocutions in cases that would otherwise be dangerous, such as when a device shorts out. But they aren't totally safe.

See here for an explanation of how it works and how it is not foolproof.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well he either needs to be in prison for life without parole or in a mental institution for life with no chance of being let out

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Obviously didn't think the whole thing through - if his plan had worked (assuming his plan was to actually electrocute her) he would also have been electrocuted when he grabbed her to push her back in the water. Unless he was wearing rubber gloves or something...

So maybe he should be convicted of attempted murder and attempted suicide.

10. aplasticspork macrumors regular

well theoretically if it had worked, then she wouldnt have been able to jump out, thus negating the need to push her back in.
    he needs to be locked up for a long, long time. hopefully he doesnt have a good lawyer :rolleyes:

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

12. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

wish I'd worked that hard to save my own marriage...

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

:eek:
    :D :D :D