Man shoots and kills driver who mistakenly turns into his driveway

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jan 30, 2013.

1. macrumors G5

yg17

People like this lunatic make it very difficult for me to support gun rights even for so called self defense purposes. According to another news site, Diaz's GPS took him to the wrong house.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/man-69-accused-of-killing-man-who-went-to-wrong-ho/nT8xp/

As far as I'm concerned, they should lock this crazy old **** up and throw away the key.

But the Diaz family need not worry:

:rolleyes:

2. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Yeah was reading this earlier. Ridiculous, indefensible waste of life.

3. Guest

eric/

Hmmmm

4. macrumors 603

thekev

He sounds like someone old with deteriorating mental health. I wonder how many gun owners know what does and does not constitute self defense?

5. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Gotta love it. You immediately question his service in Viet Nam and not the fact that he was a well trained, gun owner who acted wholly in an irresponsible manner. Love the spin.

6. Guest

eric/

The reputation of Vietnam veterans proceedes them

7. macrumors 65816

What's a 22yr old doing dating a 17yr old? Can't get college girls?

8. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Quite the broad brush you paint with for an anarchist. Just this week we have women in the military and now Viet Nam veterans. Please proceed Mr. Slash.

9. macrumors 68020

niuniu

Kate Upton began modelling at 17.

[​IMG]

Just sayin'

10. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You mean the stereotype portrayed precedes them. According to this article, it states 15.2%-31% of male Vietnam veterans have PTSD. There's a whole 70% of the veterans he could be a part of. Your thought is based on a stereotype and little more until evidence comes out otherwise.

What does this have to do with the discussion?

11. macrumors G3

Huntn

The solution: Chant "Guns are Good", repeatedly. ;)

12. macrumors 65816

PTSD can be caused by anything, I'm pretty sure the percentage is higher than that for Vietnam Vets, shellshocked.

It doesn't, I was just questioning.

13. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I trust studies slightly more than you being "pretty sure".

14. macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Take the guns away from veterans!

15. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

WOW just WOW!!! out of this whole story that is what you focus on, again WOW! :(

16. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Based on that argument why the **** is a vietnam vet even allowed to own a gun? Clearly they are way to mentally unstable to own one.

I say this guy needs to be locked up for the rest of his life. This was murder plan and simple.

No reasonable person should think just because a car pulls in your drive way they are there to cause problem. It should be assumed that they are their by mistake or using it to say turn around.
    This does not mean you do not watch them but assume at the very least they just are at the wrong house. The DA better go after him and make an example out of him.

17. macrumors 65816

Well, does your studies that you read state that majority of people that suffer PTSD don't talk about it? Sure, there are some who need help because they can't handle what they have gone through, then there are those who can.

22yr old male was shot in the side of the head for pulling up in the wrong drive way, got it, it's sad.

18. macrumors 68020

niuniu

Sounds sincere.

19. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It states a fair amount more than you being "pretty sure".

20. macrumors 65816

Truthfully, I don't care.

You sure do like to stick with quoting "pretty sure". Did you want me to say "those statistics are wrong, due to the fact majority of PTSD victims deal with it and don't seek help."

21. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You haven't provided any evidence that you are correct. If you do, I can look at it. Right now your statement of "pretty sure" is the only evidence you've provided to counter my evidence.

22. Guest

eric/

The VA study was done in 1986, over two years. Did they survey all Vietnam vets? The mentioned that 31 percent of men suffered from PTSD after returning from Vietnam "at some point". Doesn't say whether they received help, whether it got better or not, and doesn't mention whether or individuals are relapsing years and years later.

Even the fact that 31% have suffered means that 3/10 Vietnam veterans have some issues going on, that's pretty significant if you ask me. It's not a stereotype, but something that has been measured.

----------

Yeah I don't disagree. Idk if the DA should necessarily make an example out of him, but prosecute based on our written laws and within the realm of reason. Charge him with murder, but don't give him the death penalty for it.

I think this further illistrates the need for mental health checks to be revamped and improved in order to curb gun violence.

23. macrumors 68000

mcrain

How dare you post something like that... do you have any more?

24. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

No they didn't survey all Vietnam vets. That's not what survey's do. I'm sure you know that. They account for error. 31% is an estimate within a reasonable accuracy.

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/pages/vietnam-vets-study.asp

One could also say that 7/10 are fine. It is also known that Vietnam veterans have a higher suicide rate than the national average. So one could infer than since the study is from 1984 (almost 30 years have passed), some in the 3/10 category have committed suicide and so there are less PTSD Vietnam veterans out there. I admit that is purely assumption based on the studies.

The fact that the person in this crime is a Vietnam veteran in no way means he has PTSD. It also does not mean he doesn't. The article doesn't state and as such, until it is stated somewhere it's purely speculation anyone's part.

25. Guest

eric/

But it's not an unreasonable assumption, which is kind of my point. 30% of Vietnam vets (probably more) have or have had PTSD with the possibility of it reoccuring.