Man sues Apple for hearing loss caused by listening to his i...

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 1, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 604

May 4, 2002
    Go Vegan
    Everyone knows that listening to something at a very high volume will have a negative effect on your hearing. It warns you about it in the documentation that comes with the iPod. The case will be thrown out in court and everyone will laugh. :D
  3. macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2004
    Apple should just put a message on the iPod that says only for people with common sense. :D
  4. macrumors member

Apr 29, 2003
    Boulder, Colorado

The guy doesn't even actually have hearing loss, he's just suing because he potentially could? Let me follow this logic. He's "smart" enough to determine that the iPod could damage his hearing, and sue over it, but not smart enough to just not turn the thing up too loud? What's more, Apple already has a warning! If he wins, I will... well, okay, I've already lost all respect for civil courts. Can respect go negative?

On an unrelated note, I'm suing Craftsman for not warning me that their screwdrivers could rupture my intestines if... inserted improperly. Who's with me?
  5. macrumors 604

May 4, 2002
    Go Vegan
    Hahaha, I think this guy might be dumb enough to try that in court ;)
  6. Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Whakatane, New Zealand
  7. macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2003
  8. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

Mar 4, 2003
    Actually, the guy apparently doesn't know if he's suffered hearing loss...
    I recommend this one simple test: Can you hear me say "You freakin' moron!"?
  9. macrumors 68020

Nov 8, 2003
    New Zealand
    In that case all Porsche, Audi, Ferrari, Dodge Viper, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Mercedes owners and owners who own other high powered sports carts should also sue the manufactures for the potential deaths caused from high speed road crashes that the owners may possibly have in their cars, and, while we are at it, all hand gun owners should sue Smith and Wesson, and all other hand gun manufactures because they could potentially be killed by their weapons.

Note The above mentioned cars and weapons should ALL come with a message warning the user of the possibility of death by car crash and/or death from shooting or being shot by ones self or another person on the side of the firearm.

With regards to the original article, what a fu*ken stupid law suite!:mad:
  10. macrumors member

Sep 14, 2002

The guy's a moron....

Correction: he's a deaf moron. :eek:
  11. macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I've decided to sue Budweiser because there product made me sleep with an unattractive person resulting in personal trauma. Damages: [dr. evil]One hundred billion dollars.[/dr evil]
  12. macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    New Flash : "MacRumors user sues man for wasting his time in a pointless article about an idiot."

Hmmm I wonder if that would work. :rolleyes: :D
  13. macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
    Yeah! They're like I need some money, can't be bothered to work for it, lets just sue!
  14. macrumors regular

Nov 27, 2003
    O beautiful for heroes proved In liberating strife.
    Who more than self the country loved
    And mercy more than life!
    America! America!
    May God thy gold refine
    Till all success be nobleness
    And every gain divine!
  15. Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

Presumably because she was too busy laughing her head off...

This is a serious waste of a court's time.
  16. 24C
    macrumors 6502a

Nov 9, 2004
    I'm sure there's a clause in the small print when you register that forums are a waste of time, or maybe it's just common sense :rolleyes:
    The real joke is sustained noise does affect your hearing, and there is so much we are exposed too in urban life, which we have no control over, and you'd struggle to litigate against. Bring on a soft target. Endgame? Bypass the ears and tap straight into the brain :eek:
  17. macrumors member

May 13, 2003
    Hmmm.... If I remember, AVLS (Automatic Volume Limiting System) is turned on by default on all iPods with screens. Also as noted, has always been some documentation regarding hearing loss if listening at too high a volume (this type of warning has been around since Walkmans were popular). My guess is that the judge might end up just throwing out the case, it's just too stupid and the guy is just doing this following some hype in the media a few months before.
  18. macrumors 68000

Jun 24, 2004
  19. macrumors 6502a

Aug 11, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    What about the attourney that takes the case? He should be shot in the foot for encouraging the client to file such a rediculous claim.
  20. macrumors 603

Apr 21, 2003
    Only in america.

Reminds of me people wondering why they are fat when they eat McDonalds et al every day.

"The iPod players are "inherently defective in design and are not sufficiently adorned with adequate warnings regarding the likelihood of hearing loss," according to the complaint, filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in San Jose, Calif., on behalf of John Kiel Patterson of Louisiana"

I don't know about in america, but in the rest of the world its commonly known that excess noise will damage your hearing.

Common knowledge, common sense.

There will be a lot more of these stories in the future, unfortunately.
  21. macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2005
    New Jersey
    Oh for the love of peace. Lawsuits like this make me SOOOOO mad.
  22. macrumors regular

May 30, 2002
    and France

"Apple was forced to pull the iPod from store shelves in France and upgrade software on the device to limit sound to 100 decibels, but has not followed suit in the United States, according to the complaint."
  23. macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2003
    The Dallas 'burbs
    The courts should hear the case, laugh him out of court and impose a penalty of getting "fixed." People with this little common sense should not be allowed to re-produce, God only knows what they would do to a baby.

"But, your honor, my dog stays outside all day with a bowl of food and water, has a lovely doghouse, and can use the yard to relieve itself. You mean to tell me that I can't do the same thing with our baby? (S)He crawls like a dog doesn't (s)he? and it saves money on diapers."
  24. macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003
    Columbus, Ohio area
    you realize

You realize, if this guy succeeds in getting Apple to do this, someone ELSE will sue this guy (and probably Apple) to get it switched BACK. :)
  25. macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    My thoughts precisely!

Just get Judge Judy on the case. She'll dismiss it as a "load of baloney" and make the guy look like an idiot. :D