Man survives leap into lion's den

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Jan 13, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

yeah, read about this in the metro this morning, what an IDIOT!!!

edit: oh yeah and ...<nelson from simpsons voice> HA! ....HA! </>

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Oh man, I laughed out loud at work reading this....

Don't taunt happy fur ball....

I can't believe it - and the lion just jumped on him and toyed with him like a house cat does a mouse...;)

Classic!

D

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I saw a film clip of this last night on my local news station. What a dumb thing to do, sending him for a mental evaluation sounds like the proper course of action.

It certainly appeared that the lion was just playing, like you would with your dog. The lack of injuries would certainly indicate that the lion meant no harm. A very lucky man indeed.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow, that guy is one lucky mofo. But it does raise an interesting question regarding when hearing voices from God make you crazy versus blessed. I mean, if God told him to do it and he survived, who are we to say he's the crazy one?

6. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

really makes you wish you could substitute peoples lives. The number of people who really have to struggle to stay alive, who would give anything for those few more moments with the ones they love, and then you have people like this guy.
    In my wierd little world I'd invent a remote control where every time you see a news story like this, it would SMS the supreame whatever in the universe and register a vote. Later on in the evening there would be a news update where they'd list all the "morons" who willingly gave their lives to save the mortally challenged souls who don't need to make life any more difficult.

say yay if that's a good tv show.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, saying that God speaks to you doesn't automatically make you mentally ill. For his safety an others, he still needs to have counselling. I agree that God was with him, that is why he is still alive.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But wasn't God also with that mountain biker who was killed by a mountain lion as well? Having God there doesn't translate into a reason he survived in my book.

9. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I think God (I don't believe in him, but I'll hang with it for this thread) has my kind of sense of humour if he goes round telling people to climb into Lion Den's.... man that's pretty sick!! :eek: :p :p

Either that or far too many listens to that Judas Priest record... :eek: :p :p

10. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

It's always funny that these guys always claim that a "calling" from God made them do these crazy stunts. Why can't these "callings" tell people to get a job, go to school, or stop smoking crack?

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I happen to believe in God. Haven't had the experience of him actually speaking to me directly. It is more guidance through prayer, realization of what would be the proper thing. I would not want a life without him. God did not actually speak to him in that way, that is why he needs counseling.

12. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I happen to believe Judas Priest's "British Steel" is one of the classiest examples of Classic Heavy Metal heaven, one could ever own and I haven't started talking backwards once.
    and... I believe in a thing called love, just listen to the rythm of my heart:eek: That's another one of my fav's. Actually, I feel sorry for the Lion.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Where would the fun be in that? :p

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

How do you know? god could have done this so that the news would cover it, and some person somewhere would have seen it on their way out the door, and they could have paused for a few minutes to watch the amusing story, thus avoiding a drunk driver that would have killed him... that would have affected god knows what in the future... butterfly effect...

paul

15. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

now we're cooking! I wonder what the odds are of lions not in the same zoo, getting their teeth polished just in case their is a spate of these insidents, I mean zoos usually tread a fine line between breaking even and going bust, this must be good for business surely?

16. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

heheheh cheeky.... :p :p :p

17. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Perhaps he did.

I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors, but I think that God has a sick sense of humor. And when I die, I expect to find him laughing.

18. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

The only reason not everyone is doing this is because they ones that do are usually weeded out by evolution.

Obviously, evolution missed slipped up here.

19. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Hah!! Most civilized societies do their darnedest to make sure that "survival of the fittest" has no play whatsoever. In fact, the dumber you are, the more likely you are to have a whole litter of kids (starting when you're a kid yourself) to pass on your dumb-ass genes to. It could be argued that civilization has rendered the benefits of positive evolutionary changes mute. Civilization has probably done more for the propagation of negative traits within a half-dozen generations than natural selection would do for positive traits within 10,000 years.

It's like we've created Bizarro-world X-men...

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

God's intervention into a situation like this is more like Daniel in the lion's den. King Darius of Persia had Daniel put into the den because he wouldn't follow his edict. Daniel would not pray to Darius, but only to God. Then King darius gave the command for Daniel to be put into the den with stone over the its mouth. God sent an angel to protect Daniel. If we are faithful to him and trust him he will protect us also. This man has been given a second opportunity to turn his life over to God.

21. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Dude, you sure know a lot about God for someone who's never met him.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This is his chance to repent and turn his life over to the Turtolitarians.;)

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I wish that I knew more. I try my best to try to study his word. If I can continue on his path, then I hopefully will have the privilege to meet him at the end of my life. Even though I will have to account for all of my sins in this life.

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

As a different approach to this - not relying on faith to explain situations - which you can't ever prove or deny - remember that these lions were in a zoo, have constant interaction with humans, most likely daily. And in many cases they deliver food for the animals.

So a lion sees a human, thinks food, not in the sense of eating the human, but dinner time, and then he starts acting up.

Well, a little taunting provokes the curiosity of the lion so he 'plays' with the silly human.

Saying God had something directly to do with this is also like saying God directly influenced two hydrogen atoms to combine with an oxygen atom to help make the oceans. Its superfluous and can't really be used as grounds for basis in an argument. People live, survive and die with capriciousness - there is no accounting for why sometimes.

Why is this turning into a religious debate?

Oh, for the record, I believe in God. wdlove - have you read the DaVinci Code? I'd recommend it - puts an interesting perspective on the 'written' word of God.

D :D

25. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

because 'God' told him to go play with the Lion's... :p :p :p