man, that gun ROCKS!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Tymmz, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

minigun

It's a german site, but you just have to click on:

"Download Server 1" or "Download Server 2".

Something like that on Discovery Channel???

2. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Yep, leave it to me and the rest of america to have a gun like this on discovery channel, but then complain about violence on tv. lol

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

4. shyataroo macrumors regular

the only way it can be more phallic is if there were two ammo drums on either side.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, I remember that episode. It was when they tried to make a Delorean into a hovercraft and failed. Then jesse used the minigun to blow it up. Good times.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

No one here remembers the original Predator? Tearing up the jungle with a handheld mini-gun :D

They are nuts - the mini gun canon on an A10 is even more impressive. I saw an Air Force film on the thing and it made swiss cheese of a tank.

D

7. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

There are so many ways to get rid of each other, AWESOME!

8. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

from http://world.guns.ru/machine/minigun-e.htm

reagarding the A-10's gun
    http://www.gdatp.com/products/lethality/gau-8a/gau-8.htm

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, very impressive guns! As for the original Predator, that was probably my favorirte scene. Oh, the carnage - nothing like leveling an acre of rainforest with a gun! :cool:

10. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

TRUE

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

man, regardless my favorite "gun" (well, assault rifle) is an AK-47. [shrugs] my preference ;) they are light-weight by comparison to many other rifles of all classes, they are accurate, they barely "kick" at all, and they are durable.
    i have pictures of me firing it (with several other firearms (target practice in the boonies) if anyone is interested, but lets just say that i enjoy it for a weapon.
    disclaimer, this is a legal firearm, it is not used maliciously or for anything other than innocent recreation ("hey lets shoot that rock over there on the hill" or "hit that paper target" etc) i am not a terrorist ;)

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

My dad used to be an A-10 pilot... I've got a shell casing (you can see it in this picture, right behind the "w" in "Microsoft wireless routers") that was one of many used by him to destroy a captured Soviet tank in the New Mexico desert when he trained for the A-10. (The USAF bought them from the Israelis, who captured them from the Egyptians and Syrians at some point.)

What makes the Avenger cannon on the A-10 so deadly is TWO things... first, its massive rate of fire. A one-second burst from that cannon contains 70 30mm shells, any one of which can eliminate a tank all by itself.

But the real doozy is that the penetrator is made of depleted uranium, which has two big advantages: It's almost the densest material on Earth, which means that if it's properly-shaped and fired at high speed, it can punch through almost anything. And it's pyrophoric, which means that if you apply enough pressure to it, it will burst into flame and become a jet of molten hot metal. The solid shell that enters the tank on one side basically turns into lava with not enough penetrative force to exit the tank on the other side, but still enough energy to bounce around inside the tank like a red-hot Pac-Man, destroying everything it touches (men, ammo box, etc.).

The original Fairchild International promotional video for the A-10 is impressive as hell... watching the shells rip into a tank in super slow-mo and shred it was VERY cool.

13. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I distinctly remember seeing an A-10 at an airshow doing maneuvers overhead that blew my mind. The thing turned on a dime and at one point did a bizarre shimmy that I know I saw but my brain thought was physically impossible. Just an incredible aircraft.

The rate of fire on the gun is supposedly so high that holding the trigger down for more than a couple seconds would exhaust all of the ammo it can carry. I've heard that the pilots have to be trained to fire in extremely short bursts to compensate for it. There are other guns that fire depleted uranium rounds and the cleanup is a bitch if they ever bother with it. I've heard there are concerns about it in the former Yugoslavia.

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Typically, an A-10 will carry either a 30-second load (2100 rounds) or a full 60-second load (4200 rounds), depending on the mission profile. So, theoretically, they could fire the cannon for 30 seconds or 60 seconds continuously... except for the fact that the recoil of the cannon is so high (10,000 pounds of force, muzzle velocity is Mach 3+) that the plane would slow down and stall out if the cannon was fired for more than a few seconds continuously. Also, the barrels need time to cool (just a few seconds) or they could be distorted by the heat.

A one-second burst is sufficient to destroy any tank. Because of the recoil, the plane's nose is forced UPWARDS when the cannon is fired, so the pilots aim for a point just below the target and then fire... the cannon will naturally trace up and hit the target.

It's unfortunate that the USAF is abandoning the A-10 for flashier, more expensive planes like the F-16. There's never been a better, safer (for the pilot... not for the schmucks on the ground), or deadlier CAS (Close Air Support) airplane than the A-10.

15. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I hate guns. I don't know why people are so fascinated by big stupid machines that they have to use to kill people because they are too cowardly to fight by hand the fight they shouldn't be fighting in the first place.

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree that their destructive nature makes them ethically quesitonable in some aspects, however gnus are anything but "big stupid machines" - quite the opposite in fact. I have always been fascinated with ballistics and firearms purely from the engineering/design point of view, and the physics behind them. They are extremely complicated machines, and quite a work of art, like it or not. My future Father-in-law builds his own guns and ammo, and has shown me some fascinating things, so I have to say that although I question their purpose from time to time, I do really appreciate them and the technology behind them. Plus, it's fun to go to the range for target practice!

As for my Father-in-law, he's also been consistently ranked as the "Top Shot" in all of North America for marksmanship, etc., (that's right, #1 in the continent!) so I always have to make sure to stay on his good side. :eek: :cool:

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i'm more concerned about the "big stupid operators" of those "big stupid machines" a gun is a tool, it only does as it's "told".
    there are plenty of responsible firearm owners, so please resist the urge to generalize like that.
    i would never kill someone unless there were good reason (i.e., it was my life or theirs) i of all people am definitely not afraid to "fight by hand" i have two black belts, i'm quite capable ;) it is not my style at all, i am extremely peaceful, i just have a few strange hobbies.

just please don't make blanket statements, you're giving undue ridicule towards people who don't deserve it or even nearly come close to your stereotype.

amicably,

19. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Is your father-in-law one of those Canadian snipers that they mentionned in the news a while back in Afghanistan?

A while ago, me and my girlfriend at the time went to an indoor shooting range here in Calgary. Neither of us had ever fired a real gun with real bullets before. Although, I had fired a machine gun with blanks at a military show, back when Calgary had a sizeable military presence. Anyways, it will be forever ingrained into me the absolute power and seriousness involved in handling and firing a gun. I fired several pistols and semi-automatic rifles, and a shotgun. I was actually surprised at how easy it was to hit a terminal zone on the targets from that distance.

20. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Well in that case, you can avoid this thread and stop trolling

21. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I've been wanting to get a shotgun for quite a while.
    I think you really can't go wrong with any of the major manufacturers.
    At first I wanted a Browning BPS pump shotgun because I'm a lefty. It loads and ejects from the bottom. But it is pricey for what you get.
    There's the workhorse Remington 870 pump, but it just doesn't really appeal to me.
    I like the Winchester Speed Pump shotguns and handled a friends Defender model while I was in the Army. But they don't make leftys :(

I want it to be an all around shotgun. Trap, skeet, turkey, duck, pheasant. So I figured I'd go for an automatic. I've consulted some guys who know guns and said they are heavy and bulky and a pain to keep clean.
    Then I found out about Benelli. :D
    Their M2 Field shotguns are recoil operated. Not gas operated. So they keep clean much better. They also have the trademark Comfortech system which lessens recoil and allows for more comforatable shooting all day(for skeet and trap).
    Benelli seems to be the only manufacturer who offers an extensive line of lefty automatic shotguns. They get more points from me for that fact.
    They are pricey but I've heard great things about them so guess what I'll be getting for Christmas for myself?

22. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well I think we're at least allowed to voice dissent here and again, right? if everyone agreed with you, the world would be a lot less interesting, etc etc.

23. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

dissent is fine, as long as it's mature and it contributes to the thread. If he posted something about how guns are bad because they've been linked to increases in homicide rates then it'd be fine, but an emotional outburst about how guns suck because they just do is just annoying. Pointless attempts to start an argument without any factual backup is trolling.

If a PC fanatic came into a mac thread and said "I hate MACS. I don't know why people are so fascinated by big stupid machines..." the response would be VERY different.

24. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

People don't use guns because they're too cowardly to fight hand-to-hand. They use guns because it's easier to hurt or kill people with a gun that with your fist. Or more likely, to threaten to do so. Whether you like guns or not, it has nothing to do with bravery.

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Exaaaactly - a gun isn't a weapon, it's a tool, like a butcher knife, or a harpoon, or... or... or an alligator. :cool:

No, but he probably trained them. ;) My Father-in-law does all the firearms training for the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police: the Feds here) and Special Forces at the National RCMP Training Academy headquartered here in Regina. He also gets approached by Remmington, Smith & Wesson, Winchester, Glock, etc. all the time to come design guns for them as an expert consultant. Very cool stuff, I like bragging about him any chance I can get. ;) :cool:

Absolutely - I feel the same way when I shoot as well. And my fiancee, (let alone being taught to shoot before she could walk! ;)), was in the Army, firing all sorts of automatic weaponry, tossing live grenades and the whole deal. A lot of power at your disposal - I think many people take it for granted.