Man, these things are addictive....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mike Teezie, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I got a ghz TiBook when they came out last November. It was my first Mac ever, after being a PC user all my life. I am like a school girl I am so happy with my Powerbook and the Mac way of doing things. The thing is, I can't stand using my PC anymore, and I want a Powermac now. :) I just have a few questions though, as I still don't know all there is to know about Apple's ways.

1. If I order a dual 1.25 machine, can I just buy my own DDR ram from crucial or something and upgrade my machine when funds permit?

2. Can I use my 19" flat screen CRT monitor with the Powermac? Or do I have to have one of the apple displays? (I will eventually get an Apple 23" display, also when funds permit)

Thanks in advance!!

2. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

Re: Man, these things are addictive....

1. Yes

2. Yes, a DVI to VGA converter is included when you buy a powermac.

If I were you, I would wait and buy an upcoming powermac with the rumored "G5" processor.
    They should be released in a few months.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

your good to go on both of those. just watch out on the ram, i have heard some crappier brands of ram can cause kernel panics, but you said your getting crucial so you will be ok.

iJon

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Don't buy into the rumors. If you want the machine and you have the money get it. If you wait for a rumor you could be waiting for a very very long time. It could come out next week or it could come out in a year. I would get what you want and be happy with it. If you're happy with the machine that you get now there is no reason for that experience to change when new machines come out eventually. The machine doesn't suddenly get slower. In fact with each system update the machine actually and factually gets a bit faster.

5. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Rumors are one thing, press releases and common sense are another. The 970, imo, has passed beyond being a rumor. The rumors now are the speed and release date, not the existence of the processor (and some of them are pretty absurd rumors too).

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

There is still no actual confirmation on when Apple will release a computer based on this processor let alone even actually use this processor. I know it is nearly beyond doubt that they will use it but it is Apple and there is no guarantee until THEY announce it.

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Are you a toon character yourself, then? :D

9. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I used the adapter to hook my CRT monitor to my Powerbook, and the screen looked really crappy. It normally looks really good with my windows machine. Is there a particular reason the resolution was so crappy? Thanks for all the replies by the way!

10. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Did you adjust the resolution and color profile for the external monitor?

12. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

rumors

i pay too much attention to rumors. i've had the money for an iPod since march 10, and i haven'y gotten one. yet.

also, i hope my mom doesn't walk into the oom when your avatar is showing because she probably won't like it. and no im not living in my parents basement, i live in the room above the basement. (i'm only 14)

13. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I just want to echo this. Bad ram sucks. It sucks really badly, ie. 20 kernel panics in a week.

Crucial should be fine though. Don't worry. As long as it is guarenteed to work, then go for it.

14. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

guarentees make the world go 'round.

15. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

So.. onto your problem.... [stares at Macbandit's tar with the big, boucy boobies for 20 minutes]

Echem... anyways...

Yes, you are good to go with Crucial RAM and the CRT is good to go too. Just adjust it in the system prefs for monitors. I suggest 1600x1200 res. I dunno if the CRT monitor is good or not, but try and get it above 80 Hz refresh, but 75 Hz is acceptable if you have to go there. If you cant get 1600x1200 with 75 Hz refresh, try scaling down the res until you get a decent refresh rate.

16. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    as much as i like the 'tar, it does remind me of my ex :(

that's not a request for you to change it mind ;)

17. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

NO

18. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

No, he had an avatar with a girl with bouncing tits.:p