Man tries to sell child to pay for home improvements...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by emaja, Apr 22, 2006.

1. emaja macrumors 68000

2. riciad macrumors 6502

With a father like that, maybe the daughter would have been better off if the sale had proceeded.

3. Queso macrumors G4

The irony is the child will now get new parents anyway whilst Daddy's in prison.

And hopefully his cell will be a doer-upper.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there are a lot of pretty much pathetic people in this world. and its saddening

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Something tells me you won't be seeing this on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

Idjit. :mad:

6. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Had he gone through regular chanels and got an attorney to do it right, he probably would've gotten about 25,000 USD for her and not be in jail.

She would have had loving, adoptive parents.

What an *******

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Is this serious? i can't believe someone will sell there child...that soo wrong.

Bless

8. emaja thread starter macrumors 68000

It is really one of the saddest things I could possibly imagine. I know how much joy my kids bring to me and there is no way that a price could be put on that.

At least there were no signs of physical abuse and she is probably too young (hopefully) to have suffered any emotional damage. I can only hope that she gets a good placement and can have a chance to have a good life elsewhwere.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've got some remodeling projects in mind, but my kids are great. What a dilemma! :rolleyes:

What an awful thing for this guy to do. :mad:

If you need a feel-good story about adoption, here's one. I'm not sure whether or not free registration is required.

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Children and women are sold into slavery and sex trafficking all the time. It's overwhelming when you start to read some of the very conservative statistics and figures. :(

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Guess that it is time for you to weigh the pros & the cons of both options and pick the most beneficial course of action. ;) :)

Yes, it is quite sad and overwhelming when you face the statistics on such horrible crimes. :mad: :(

13. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

14. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

maybe I read the article wrong, but I feel like everyone is thinking that he was selling the girl into slavery or something... it sounded to me more like he was having trouble raising her by himself, so he decided to put her up for adoption. Why he didn't want to go through the proper procedures, I don't know, but he found a couple that wanted to adopt, and tried to get it done. Also, as for the "wanting to use the money for home improvements" thing, they never specify, so for all we know, this could mean fixing the 3-foot wide hole in his roof or something.

Of course, maybe I just tend to look for the good side in people too much and am just being stupid here....

15. emaja thread starter macrumors 68000

If you want to give your child up for adoption, that is fine, but you do not "sell" them. Fortunately, the adoptive parents-to-be called the police when the father didn't want to involve attorneys.

I want to believe that this is a cultural misunderstanding - the father is Vietnamese - but it all still seems very cold hearted any way you look at it.

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Cold hearted indeed! :(

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Haha, extreme optimist, are we? ;)

But I do agree with you in a way. I'm sure he just couldn't deal with raising her alone and was short of cash. How he wanted to use the money was a bit irrelevent anyway, whether he used it to fix his house, for drugs, or for food.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I wonder if the parents who wanted to adopt her will still get to. Only legally this time. Seemed like they just wanted a child that this guy apparently didn't. Shame about the Mom too, up and leaving like that.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

However, it happens all over the world.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This kind of activity happens in third world countries as a normal event.

In his case, he probably thought that it was a normal transaction between two families.

Now he will learn one significant difference between Vietnam and the US of A.

Edit: spelling

21. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Shockingly sad, I just can´t understand it.
    One thing if you´re in desperate need to support your family and are forced to do something so extreme, but for home improvement?
    Just hearing the gurgels from my daughter in the kitchen now puts a smile on my face, how can anyone think to sell your child?

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But why didn't they go the legal route?

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Probably tried, or at least looked into it enough to know how tough it is. They mentioned that it was the Father of the girl who didn't want to involve lawyers. They probably figured this would be the easy way until Papa tried extorting them. Then the red flags went up and they called the police.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Must be awfully difficult to get a home improvement loan these days... [​IMG]

25. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Sick, sick person. Doesn't deserve to have a child AT ALL. :mad: