man vs. tank

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 20, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i find these kinds of photos oddly fascinating. talk about having balls...

(palestinian photo from here)

Attached Files:

2. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

I would call it either a lack of intelligence or a cheap consideration of ones own life.

3. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

the first photo is very famous. Its from a video and is often used to symbolise the bravery of peace loving people, and hte lengths they are willing to go to to get the point of peace across. You obviously don't appreciate it.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

IIRC, that is not video, but indeed a photo. The photographer was shooting from his hotel balcony and had to rush to get the shot and as such was unable to change lenses, hence the blurriness.

It is a very powerful photo and we are fortunate he didn't wait to change lenses; he never would have captured it.

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

I think the tienamen photo is extraordinary. one of the most powerful symbols I have ever seen. I thought you were a libertarian. How can you not appreciate the greatness of that gesture?

6. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

perhaps I am getting confused with some other video I had seen.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There is video of that incident isn't there? I'd swear I've seen video of the tank swerving to go around the guy and him moving to block it again...

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i'm sure there also were videos of the scene, but the one I have in mind was from the ground level

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

You know, I was on a conservative bulletin board once for gun owners, and they all said pretty much the same thing, but in regards to the girl who died in Palestine doing the same thing. It seems to me they valued self-preservation over principle. Or maybe that self-preservation was their only principle. It's a problem I think is endemic in American society today and has led us into our current troubles in the Middle East.

I think it's a great pic.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Here's video of it.

Here's the story behind the photo:
    I can't find the original source of this article.

11. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

"give me liberty. unless it means death."

if someone cannot imagine themselves squaring off against a tank, i submit that person cannot understand the struggle for freedom. that the palestinians are attacking such modern weaponry w/ nothing but rocks should be inspiring, when considering how much these people simply want freedom. i question anyone who scorns it or can't see their desperation.

12. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

That little girl wasn't keeping a bulldozer from running over a house as first reported. But was trying to prevent a bulldozer from running thru a shrub in the front yard of a house that turned out to be camoufladge over an underground tunnel used for smuggling weapons.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=7361
    Lots of people from that very same group have been killed are they being targetted or are they purposely putting themselves into situations and pushing the lines between what is legal and what is not legal and thus responsible for their own deaths.

Wasn't this the same group that falsified photographs showing Carrie as wearing a bright orange suit right before she was ran over when in fact they showed a picture of her in an earlier incendent where she was not run over. And that at the time she was ran over she was wearing drab clothes and the driver very well might not have seen her. But instead of telling the truth and broadcasting the correct picture the so called solidarity movement distributed the wrong picture? It was a traitor in their own organization who gave the correct picture to the press most of whom refused to correct their earlier error.

13. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

found another one

14. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Why is it so many of these "Current Event" threads turn into heated political debates, Think before posting, or at least post in the "Political Discussion Forum" EDITSorry I got lost, I AM in the political discussions forum. disregard previous statement.

I remember seeing that video shown on TV many years ago, during the time of the student protests in China. One man’s stand to try and represent what the entire population was afraid to say.

Yeah, he had balls... and then some!!!

15. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Um this is the political discussion forum.
    editjust saw your edit can't delete the post :(

16. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

no worries. if you're wondering, i did start it here. i.e. it didn't get moved

that he did

17. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Why don't they face down Hamas and stop the suicide bombings?