Man weighing 1,200 pounds seeks life-saving surgery

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by saunders45, May 3, 2006.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

O.M.G. i don't know if i fully believe this, amazing, how can someone let themselves get like this?

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

3. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Give me a chainsaw. I'll give him a life-saving operation.

I can't imagine not being able to see my cash and prizes every day.

Daniel.

4. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Aww. I didn't read that part. That is really sad.

I know there can be genetic factors that can cause a person to take on more weight than others, but something still makes me think it's a person's own laziness that causes obesity like that.

Daniel.

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Wow, I feel bad for whoever has to do that surgery!

JK...I hope the guy's ok

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I don't think it is possible to be that lazy to gain 800-900 pounds...

7. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I don't. He'll be rich and famous.

8. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

So it came from being active and exercising?

Daniel.

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    It comes from having "friends" who feed you. There are limits to how fat you can get if you have to provide your own food. The guy can't get out of bed. He would be limited to half that size if he had to cook his own food. Less if he actually had to go grocery shopping.

10. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Wow. At 5'11'' and 143 pounds, I feel rather... trim.

Poor guy, I hope there is treatment for him. I wonder if it's a hormone/gland problem?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The thing is, at 300 you wonder what happened, not at 1200. I don't think it's funny or even fun to joke about. This guy probably got to a very uncomfortable size and then wound up in bed more often than not. I would presume that 10 years ago that was the case. His body most likely gave out, the human bone structure can only hold so much. 500 is tough, 1200 is probably impossible.

How this happens. Well the clinical answer is that if you figure he was 290 at 22 years old to maintain that weight he would have to consume no more than 3480 calories per day or 24360 a week. If he wished to lose, then he would have to consume less. 3500 calories = 1 lb. If he would have consumed say 23360 a week then he could lose 1 lb a week, 4 a month and in 1 year he'd be down to 238, a far more acceptable level than even 290. If he walked for a total of 30 minutes a day 7 days a week he could have burned 2520 calories a week, nearly a pound. If he offset the difference of his walking and his calories with nearly no effort he could lose 2 lbs a week---ranking in at around 138 lbs. Think about this. Think about how easy it is to walk 30 minutes. You don't need to power walk or anything. Cutting 1000 calories a week..that is one 6 dollar burger at carl's jr! I mean really! I am saddened to see him in this state, but I am confident this surgery is a quick fix to a behavioral problem that he needs to work on. He should be required to do the surgery (which is about $17k USD) and then spend 6 months with a dietitian counselor who will teach him new behaviors. If he loses the weight with the tool of surgery then he will wind up busting the staples and he'll be in this same position, only he will die sooner.

The human stomach isn't meant to be messed with, but when you do, you gotta treat it better. This guy obviously has no control. He is the equivalent of a 7 day a week crack smoker. He has a nasty addiction that needs both internal and external help. Sorry but surgery isn't going to cut it. How many obese people do we see get this help. Ever seen the follow up? I'm not talking 2 years later, I'm talking 5, 6, 7 when the weight is off and they've kept it off.

There is a level of calorie intake for maintaining weight, losing weight, and gaining. Based on my calculations he consumed at least double the calories he should have consumed in order to gain 900 lbs in 10 years.

Sure it's fun to talk about seeing your penis or not seeing your penis, but I am frustrated when I read these articles about people getting the quick fix help and no discussion on behavioral counseling.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

with a gastric bypass there's no real arguing with a stomach that can only hold one ounce. sure the stomach can stretch back again but not without a lot of effort and pain. it didn't mention it but i am betting he gets a gastric bypass too.

it is incredibly abnormal to reach weights like this. there has to be another genetic factor to even allow such a thing in a human body. i wouldn't chalk it all up to laziness and overeating.

13. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Sure she isn't just lost in a fold?

14. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saunders45

heh..heh...

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

God Bless him....i hope he will be alright and next time lay off the MacDonalds.

Bless

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

yeah, i'm sure he's heard a ton of those jokes. :rolleyes: oy vey!

17. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The one thing that always has me scratching my head about people who get this large, is where are they getting the food? They're not going out to the store, or even the kitchen, by that point.

18. TAV macrumors regular

"I'm trying to reduce my weight a bit right now so I can be in the right condition for the operation."

I can see the Italian MDs jumping for joy when you clock in for the slice and dice 20 pounds lighter than expected.

Day late dollar short there slim...

19. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I mean, I feel bad that he is in such a miserable condition, but I didn't put him there. If he was 4-500 pounds, I'd say, must be a gland problem etc, 1200 is sick and I don't have that much sympathy for him. The wife is getting a bad rap, but seriously, if I had a wife who was so large they couldn't get out of a bed, and didn't bother to lose any weight, I might leave also. I don't know, the story could go either way.

20. vniow macrumors G4

Can we get a story with more details? This one seems to be lacking. Doesn't know what happened to him resulting in gaining some 800+lbs or so? Docs don't know what's wrong?

Details, details...

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've seen a 1,000 pound man on TV before.

22. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

This is just amazingly sad. He must... it must be Hell, weighing so much.

He has to have some kind of problem.

I just find this so, so sad. :( :( :(

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

His problem is that he is consuming more calories in one day than he should.
    Numbers do not lie and the only real "gland" problem he could have is thyroid and that can be controlled.

No fat jokes, but I think he needs mental help.

24. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

there is more here (in Spanish) from January. Apparently thyroid, pituitary etc. haven't yet been ruled out. According to the article, the guy is a big eater; while bedridden for several years, he manages to support himself by running a car parts business, handling things over the phone and Internet.