Managing Fonts in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Halcyon, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006
    I've made the transition from OS9 to OSX...but all my fonts have not.

I've managed (through third party software) to convert some of my Postcript Type I fonts into True Type, Open Type, etc. so I can use them in OSX.

My problem is that I mus do this for every font style...end result is that I can't regroup the entire family back. That is, before I had Helvetica and within it roman, italic, bold, condensed, etc. Now, each single style is off on its own...thus my font menu is very loooong!

Anybody knows of any utility that will help me with this?

PD - I have Extensis Suitcase, FontExplorer and of course FontBook...they all manage your fonts, but none of them will group them back (unless I'm missing something)...what I need is something that will work sort of like what a suitcase was in OS9, you could make a new suitcase and put inside all the styles for the same font.
  2. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    Why did you convert them. OS X can handle Type 1 fonts just fine.

See here.

3. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006
    Don't bet all your chips on that...from my Adobe Font Collection CD (3,000+ fonts) some fonts are only partially recognized (some of the styles, not all of them) and others are not recognized at all. I've been explained somewhere else, and whitout getting to tecnical, that is has to do with the resource fork on older versons of Type 1 fonts.

For instance, Franklin Gothic has 18 different styles and only 3 get recognized under OSX...but, if I manually convert each one of them I can get them all to work, NOT under ONE family but under 18 families...

This is a known issue amongst graphic designers and typographers.