managing the itunes library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by plunar, Feb 4, 2007.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

i don't know what crack pipe apple was sniffing when they overlook this little boo-boo, but downloading gigs upon gigs of tv shows and movies on top of the gigs of songs you already have does not a happy macbook hard drive make.

how can i tell itunes to move the movies and shows to an external drive, but keep the music on my internal?

2. gollum macrumors regular

I don't think you can split them up, but if you want to re-locate everything here it is:

iTunes preferences
    Advanced tab
    General tab
    on top is the "iTunes Music folder location"
    click "Change"
    set to your ext. drive

FYI's
    don't open iTunes when your ext. drive is not mounted; iTunes will default back to your music folder on your computer were your music is no longer located.

The iTunes library in your music folder on your computer is still the info it uses even though the actual music is stored elsewhere, ie. Don't delete/back it up!!!

Hope this helps!!!

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

This works to move the entire library to an external, but not to have music on the internal and movies/video on the external.

I don't think there's a way to have them stored in two separate locations and still get to them from the same iTunes Library. If you really need to do this, I'd suggest making two Libraries, one with music, and one with video. You can switch between libraries by holding down the option key when you open iTunes.