Manchester, UK

Discussion in 'iPhone Purchaser Meetups' started by davidrules04, Jun 14, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Who in manchester is getting their hands on the new :apple: iPhone 3g, i am. :D

2. macrumors 6502a

Aye.

Prob will be a Trafford centre as 3 options all within a few meters.

7am start is gunna be early tho :eek:

3. macrumors 68020

To be honest I don't fancy lining up if its going to take 10 minutes per customer to them activated.

Hopefully O2 can just send me one by post as an upgrade to my iPhone

4. thread starter macrumors member

Wow that is early, i was thinkin i might head to the arndale, i live 5 mins away, so can get their earlier, guessin you can buy it both apple stores and o2, leaving me with 2 options, cant wait, managed to end my current contract early so all is set for the iPhone.

5. macrumors 6502a

Just been to TC CWH and they also mentioned about a 7am start for selling...

ALso Apple said they were not sure about if they will sell due to the whole O2 subsidising thang.

6. thread starter macrumors member

Yeah my local o2 store said they would start selling at 7.02am, bit exact. its a quite store and out of the city centre sounds like a gd place to try buy one from, they dont have much info about the launch, bt il ask every now and then see whats new.

7. macrumors member

i live in Newcastle but i haven't asked about the time for selling ,last year it was 6pm start. and yes 7.02am is quite exact.

8. macrumors 6502a

7.02 is what they said also :confused:, but they said that the rotas were out for that day and they were not in early so will have to wait and see. I hope it is as I rec then it will mean less lines and can just go in on the day as that will be ~15hours of seeling on the 11th.

9. macrumors regular

Gamst

What time are the Manchester Boys(and Girls??!) going to be going to the TC? I imagine the o2 shops and CPW will be the only shops open? Will they be opening an hour or so before 07:02 or will they be opening just before? If so I'm thinking the Debenams entrance will be the best bet? Any idea of how many will be queuing? The other big Apple launches were 6pm, so I'd imagine a fair few less for this one? *hopefully* :)

10. thread starter macrumors member

Credit Check

i was informed today that credit checks for the iphone before launch would be available on and after the 4th July in the UK via o2.

11. macrumors 6502a

The latest info I have is Market Street isn't opening early (10am start) and Arndale is 8.02am.

Was planning to go early to beat the traffic and sit in Starbucks for half an hour first (they open 7am).

Not sure about the TC.. haven't had chance to get there to find out for certain, but as it's a shopping centre they may not be able to open very early... would be good to get a confirmed time from them.

12. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Interesting... I was going to walk to either Arndale Apple Store or Market St O2 Store.. Whichever is open first I guess!

13. macrumors 6502a

It's unlikely the apple store will be selling them unless they've managed to sort out a way of signing people up to contracts in-store.

I asked at the TC and thay plan an 8:02 start but haven't got permission to open early yet, so it's just provisional.

Arndale O2 is the only confirmed one - they have the time on a poster in the window...

14. macrumors 6502a

Yep I will be at 02 arnie before 8am unless TC open up early as its easier to park.

15. macrumors member

Trying to decide which to go to myself! If TC opens early then think I'll be going there (parking).

If anyone can confirm the opening time closer to the date, that would be great. If I can pop in before (say on the 10th) I will.

16. macrumors 6502

:) Sounds promising

17. macrumors regular

Gamst

Just called o2 TC, the girl said they'd be opening at 08:02 and said they 'should' be getting 16gb ones in. She said they expected a queue.

My main worry is now, which o2 shop to choose! I can imagine queuing at one for an hour, finding out all the 16's have gone, running to the other one, having to que up, only to have the same thing happen!

Another thing, will be have to wait outside if we get there at say, 7am? I'm wondering if the TC is a good idea or whether to do the Arndale, at least Starbucks is available!

18. macrumors member

Will be close to the TC again tomorrow I think so will stop in and ask again.

I'm looking for a 16GB version too, so fingers crossed.

19. macrumors regular

Gamst

Nice one, keep us informed :)

I called Ashton-Under-Lyne o2 today, they are opening at 8:02, but NO 16GB's apparently :-(

20. thread starter macrumors member

whats with the lack of 16gb everywhere i was gonna order online until i went to and the only available was the 8gb i hope my local o2 shop is stocking them i dont want to waste my money on the 8gb the extra £60 is so worth the 16gb. *fingers crossed* ey soo excited:D

21. macrumors regular

Gamst

I'm finding it hard to get exciting when it's looking more and more unlikely I'll get a 16gb! :-( I'm dreading queuing up and ending up disappointed! I'm also worried about the credit check, even though I always pay bills on time and always have, I have gone over my overdraft at the end of the month for a few days, quite often lately! :-s

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but what should be excitement is more stress and nervousness at the moment!

22. macrumors 6502a

There's also (shudder) CPW...

Between 2 o2 and 2 CPW and an apple store (possibly) there must be a 16gb somewhere in the TC on Friday morning.

I don't think the queue will be that long.. it's all hype right now. So what if there's 20 people waiting? That's only 20 phones... and they'll have more than that.

If the 8:02 is confirmed for the TC I prefer that just for the parking... manchester can be a pain. OTOH Manchester has Starbucks, as you mention..

Decisions, decisions...

23. macrumors 68020

Well this is a bit of a minefield isn't it?

I'm choosing the city centre over TC.

But then there is 4 O2 stores and about 6 CPWs in fairly close proximity.

I'm thinking CPW Fallowfield might be a good bet too...

Will be doing my homework tonight.

Anybody know which stores are definitely opening at 8.02am? I only know of the arndale O2 store

24. macrumors 6502a

Best thing is to go there or phone them. 8:02 is the official start time but not all shops will be able to make that.

Market Street may have changed their opening time after the 8:02 became official also, but I wouldn't bet an iphone on it..

25. macrumors member

Ok, for those interested I stopped in at the TC today, and spoke to staff at the following:

o2 store:
    Opening 8:02
    Not sure if they're getting 16GB in stock
    Upgrading not a problem

CPW:
    Opening 8:02 but apparently trying for 7:02
    Said they might be getting 16GB in but claim above made me think this was less likely
    Upgrading OK

Apple store:
    Apparently they don't even know if they'll be selling the phones in store yet

Will be heading here on Friday. If you see me say hi ;) and don't push in or i'll throw a sony ericsson at you.