Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
yeah its there own network thing based on zeroconf

I'd run linux but why when OSX is to good

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Mandrake recently filed for bankruptcy protection. This is one distro that will probably die. The linux market is way too saturated.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
mandrake may be having some problems financially, but they have consistently put out a quality linux product. hopefully it does NOT die. its one of those distros that consistently keeps other distro companies on their toes.

the main problem with mandrake is it doesnt exactly fit a category of linux. it tries to be a business AND enduser based linux, but suffers from the lack of clarity in that model. its already got stiff competition in the business world from SuSE and RedHat, and the endusers generally go for something more technical without the ease of use features such as Gentoo or Slackware. Its a line that shouldn't be ridden.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
does anyone know what rendezvous services it supports? i was surprised to find that 10.2 only supports chat/filesharing/websharing. i'd love to be able to share my printer/ftp over rendezvous. i have to use jrendezvous to register extra services in 10.2 (streaming audio), does mandrake include something better, or am i going about it the hard way in osx?

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Rendezvous is Apple's implementation of ZeroConf, to rid the world of Apple Talk once and for all.

http://www.zeroconf.org/

http://www.zeroconf.org/Rendezvous/

Mandrake is not dying. They are a French company, and the laws there are not the same as the US in regards to bankruptcy. Neither is RedHat; they are probably stronger and more focused than before. Both have cut stupid spending, and turned their business' into something viable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.