Mandrake 9.1

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hey all. I have just finished installing Mandrake 9.1 on my Dell 8300. Yea, I know that is a sin to own a dell. But, I have to say this. Mandrake is very, very fast. Much faster than Windows. If only OS X would run on X86.

Anyway, I don't want to start up that arguement again, but I have to say, that this is a nice, solid, snappy operating system that they have put together here.

2. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Run WINE on it and tell us how its speed in using Windows apps compares to using Windows apps in Windows. Cuz I might get a PC to use certain software, and I would much prefer to use Linux than Windows.

3. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Which Windows apps can you run under WINE do you know?

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

is WINE easy to configure now? i remember trying to mess with it like a year ago; it was nasty and confusing.

5. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

OK, Linux is hard as **** to work in. Installing anything is an act of congress. I am going to buy Lindows, because i have heard that it is the stability of Linux, but easy like a Mac.

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

not to talk too loud, but...

PWNED

7. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

LOL. Yea, you can say that. I work hard enough keeping Windows running. I don't want to have to learn 10,000 new syntax commands. It is fast, and stable, but man, there is a lot to learn about linux.

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Arg Lindows.

Its like getting stuck in the door when inside you have a chair but no food, but outside you have food, but it is raining.

Lindows is the guy you just walked over trying to get threw the turnstile:

http://logicaldisconnect.org/archives/000008.html

http://www.macwrite.com/applestew/lindows-gives-linux-bad-name.php

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=2834

You get neither the applications of a windows world (well you might get work to work) or the productivity and customizability of Linux.

Your... screwed.

9. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

i have a dual boot between mandrake and xp on my pc, and mandrake is insanly fast.... just also insanly hard to use

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey if I had an x86 I'd be running Linux too. For now I'll take OS X though. I'm gonna have to build a PC box sooner or later, but I'm just putting it off for as long as I can.

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I was just stating it wasn't the best (or best linux) out there.

Another 3 releases and I will call it a modern OS.

:p

12. Vilacr macrumors regular

SuSe

Try SuSe linux. I have versions 8.1 personal and the all new 8.2 pro and it rocks. It is easy to configure and wine it automatically installed. The only problem is you can only use win98se or below. Other than that I think SuSe is the best.

13. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I am still using Mandrake. I downloaded RedHat, but could not get it to install. I would like to try Lindows, but damn, I ain't paying for something that is free. Seriously, I like it, but everything is named really funny.

Instead of Media Player, or iTunes, it is something called X-22.sls

Or something like that. I cannot figure out how to install anything.

But, IT IS FAST!:D

14. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

correct me if i am wrong, but it seems like most mandrake programs come in rpms, or packages, that basically install themselves when you double click them....

15. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, that is what I thought, but I don't know if something is wrong, but I cannot get anything to install.

16. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Gentoo!!!!

Don't use any of the prepackaged OSes. They may be easier to install in the first place but then (as everyone has said) you don't know how to run them and maintain them properly. If you build the system from scratch you actually have a clue as to what you are doing (basically because you need to know). Anyways, compliling all the code specirfically for your computer is going to make it SCREAM. Mandrake is going to feel like a dinosaur to any of these systems.

BEN

17. iTag macrumors newbie

i use mandrake 9.1 myself on a dual boot system and find it piss easy to use. On the whole linux is all about freeware well most of it and most of it is great software question is why would you use windows based programs on linux if you dont like windows you wouldnt use windows programs on the system. i know that a lot of people say its for key programs like word and stuff but theres open office for all 3 formats linux Mac Window$ and it dose work with Doc files.

Mandrake is recomend for new users because its got the most features for new users also plays mp3s out the box unlike red hat which you have to get the mp3 player addon they both dont do dvd either without addons the mp3 player thats most common is xs if memory serves me correct.

oh one other thing try and put all of the stuff on the system a lot of things need dependencys which can be dam anoying..

18. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

i tried mandrake a while ago but much prefer Red Hat now.

Definately faster than windows, looks a lot nicer too. One of the coolest things about linux is the workspace switcher, i love that - would be good to see it in OSX. Mind you, fast-user-switching in panther could achieve that for you i guess if you were really picky.

I still use Windows as my main x86 OS purely for compatibility reasons.

Oh yeah, you can install mandrake on a mac can't you?? http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3#ppc
    Most variations of linux have a PPC version (yellowdog, redhat, debian, etc) and i'm pretty sure that they'll work on G3s + G4s.

I could be wrong, but i'm 75% positive - how else would the US navy be running YellowDog on their XServes?

19. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Yellow Dog Linux is for Macs ONLY.

However, most versions of Linux also run on Macs.

20. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

ah hah! didn't know that - never checked it out just heard it in the same sentence as "mac" once or twice