Manhattan Beach, CA - Manhattan Village Mall iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by chrmjenkins, Jun 8, 2010.

1. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Well, right now it looks like my wife and I will be there for the iPhone 4 launch to get her a phone. I'll be holding onto my nexus one for a little while before I decide size and color. We were also there for the 3G launch two years ago (but not the 3GS launch). Anyone else going to be there?

2. macrumors newbie

I will. I don't know what time I'll show though. Probably 5AM or so

3. thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I was beginning to wonder if there would be any replies. My wife and I will likely get there pretty early, maybe even midnight for the hell of it :eek: She'll not be going into work, and I can handle the lack of sleep.

4. macrumors 6502

Do you think there will be much of a line at this store? I have a pre-order and won't be there until opening (7am). How was this location during the other releases. I seem to remember driving by during one of them and seeing a small line but nothing insane.

5. macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

I am curious as too how this store is as well, it is indoors correct? so will they let you camp outside the store, or outside the mall if you arrive at midnight as you might do. I live in Long Beach, and am desperately trying to find a store that I can camp out in front of over night. Do you have any knowledge on how the camp out work there? Heck I'd like to meet you there at midnight if I know I'd have some fellow Macrumors affiliates to talk to!:D

6. macrumors 6502

I went to Pasadena last year for the 3GS and I'm thinking of going to Manhattan instead to switch it up. I'll be camping out at around 12 am, what about you guys?

7. macrumors member

naco

If any of you end up getting helped by Felipe, be sure to give him a hi-5!! He's a GIANT Apple nerd and a cool guy to chat specs with :apple:

8. thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

At the 3G launch, by the time the store opened, the line was wrapped around the side to the back of the mall facing the theater. My guess is that's at least 100 people to there, probably closer to 150-200.

The store is indoors, but we'll have to wait outside the mall, just outside the glass doors. The apple store is a very short distance inside the mall. Midnight is probably our earliest. I think we got there around 3 to 5 am at 3G launch, but we'll definitely be earlier this year, equipped with 3G iPad and DS/PSP to pass the time :D If you want to be in front of a store itself, you could go to 3rd street promenade in Santa Monica, but that'll be a madhouse.

We'll probably be pretty close to that time.

Haha, who should we say hi from?

9. macrumors 68040

abijnk

For the 3G launch two years ago there was a small kerfuffle with the security at Manhattan Beach, remember Chris? People we trying to line up really really early, but they told them they had to leave and come back at a different time. This year I'm just going to play dumb and show up whenever I want to.

10. macrumors 6502

Well here is a better question (for me). Around what time does the line start shrinking? I really don't feel like sitting in line for hours. I really should've had it delivered but I have to go to a graduation at 6pm that night and I usually get FedEx around that time so I wouldn't be there to sign. So what time would be safe to get the phone but yet get me out of there before 5pm?

11. macrumors 68040

abijnk

Based on past experience, what they do is have the line outside (if needed), and then a small holding area inside the mall right outside the store. I'd say by around 2-3 you'd probably be ok to get to the store and have the line only be in the holding area, but the only way to really know is to just go see what's up. You can also check this thread, as Chris (the OP) and I will probably be posting with what the turn out looks like.

Personally, I think people are going to be a bit surprised with how large the lines are. This is one hell of a refresh.

12. macrumors 6502

Thanks Abbie. I will be watching this thread.

13. macrumors 6502

For those going earlier then 12am let us know when the lines start forming.

14. macrumors member

naco

I was just saying give him a hi-5 in general because he is as excited as we are about anything new from Apple haha. He flipped when he saw what the new Mac Mini looked like. He even went pretty bonkers over the Magic Mouse when it came out.

But in any case, Nick Acosta says "woooohoooooo!!!" as I get mine from the Santa Monica Store haha

15. macrumors newbie

I'm going to be there.. but no way before 6am or so. I don't see the value at getting there at 12am if you have a reservation. You're going to get a phone unless you waltz in there at 5pm...

I talked to one of the MB sales guys.. he wouldn't guaranty a phone if I arrived after work, but he certainly implied there was no need to be there at 7am if they have you down for a reservation (which they did).

How many of you people saying you are going to arrive in the middle of the night have NO reservation?

16. macrumors 6502

I don't have a reservation so I'm arriving at midnight. It is also my first camp out too so I'm doing it for the experience as well.

17. macrumors newbie

I am thinking midnight!

18. macrumors member

naco

I'd advise anyone who pre ordered to get there early. Last year there were problems with orders not going through on Apple's side. The customer got the email and everything, but they were not on the list of pre orders. So they then had to go to the back of the non line.

19. macrumors newbie

I was there for the iPad launch at the Manhattan Beach store. I got there about an hour before the store opened and there were about 150 people in line. The line for the people with reservations and the people without is exactly the same. Basically, they took about 10 to 15 people with reservations in along with 2 to 3 people without reservations at a time.

If you don't have a reservation, I would recommend arriving very early. As I was walking out with my iPad about an hour after the store opened, there were reservation-less people still at the front of the line who had been there since very early that morning.

I have a reservation, so I'm thinking about 6 a.m. or so. If I can get out of there by 8 a.m. to head to work, I'll be fine.

20. macrumors newbie

I'm right there with you Flay.. arrive about 6 and get to work as soon as possible. This is going to take longer than iPads because of the Activiation time. If it becomes an all morning affair I will just have to call in 1/2 day vacation...

21. macrumors newbie

woow i did not know its gonna be this crazy at the manhattan village apple but i guess ill be seeing you guys around midnight and quick question if i have it on preorder do i still have to be there early in line?

22. macrumors newbie

That is the predicament I'm in. I wasn't on the reservation list, but I got the reservation email. I guess through all the mess on Tuesday, I apparently made 2 reservations and they both were canceled. So I called the store and spoke to the manager and he's taking care of me. He made a note on my account about how we spoke and he said I'll have a phone waiting for me. But I will still try to get out to the store pretty early.

On 3G release day I remember the line being outside and I arrived and was able to get a spot right before the line turned around the corner of Macy's. That was a pretty long wait. I think it was 3 hours or so.

See you guys there and hope everyone in this thread keeps us updated.

23. macrumors member

naco

I was in the opposite for 3G S day. I had ordered but never received an email about it. Luckily, I was on the list.

I guess I'll have to make a trip to my store and see if mine went through.

24. macrumors member

Yea, I'll be there on Thursday too. I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst though. This is a fairly big upgrade from the previous iPhone so I'm expecting a lot of people to show up for the release, I do have one on reservation though, so I'm not too worried, just don't want the line to take all day.

From what I've heard and read, the Manhattan Beach store is not anywhere near as bad as the bigger ones in LA. So I'm hoping everyone is right about that.:rolleyes:

25. macrumors newbie

I hope those of you arriving at midnight have strong bladders LOL No outside bathrooms at the MB Mall.