Manhattan Lawyer Sues Neighbor over ‘Squealing’ Chihuahuas

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sun Baked, Feb 27, 2009.

1. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I wonder if this case will spiral out of control...

She must be able to understand what they are saying about her... :p

2. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Chihuahua's do kind of squeal when they bark. Wish I could sue my neighbors because of theirs.

3. macrumors 6502

of all the things you Americans sue for, this is one I can understand.

4. macrumors 6502a

dang-nabbed city folk. ;)

5. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Isn't there a nearby lamppost from which to string this lawyer? You never know, it might even correct her bad back. ;)

6. thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Only thing I can think of, is the extra pair pants she got free from a Washington drycleaner were causing severe back pain.

7. macrumors 68020

pilotError

I say let some of them NYC rats have at em.

End of problem! LOL

8. macrumors 68020

question fear

Have you met a chihuahua? M friends have two, and they are the fiercest tiny doggies I have ever met. They will not hesitate to chomp a finger if you drunkenly get too close. I would fear for the rats.

9. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The city must have some sort of public nuisance laws on the books. It sounds like she's complained to the police but they didn't do anything. Around here, if you told the police that your neighbor's dogs were barking incessantly, they'd come around and talk to them. The neighbors that is, not the dogs.

10. macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The Palookaville police sound like reasonable folks.

11. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

They'll also give you a one-way ticket.

12. macrumors regular

scottkifnw

I hate lawyers but...

the problem can be solved with bark collars.

13. macrumors 68020

pilotError

The rats would pick that dog clean in about 8 minutes flat. The only thing left would be the diamond studded dog collar. They might even eat that too!

14. macrumors 604

CalBoy

The neighbor is undoubtedly violating New York City's nuisance statute(s), so why is this the fault of the lawyer?

The police have failed to do anything, and so the next course of action is a civil claim for nuisance. The back pain is a bit of a stretch, but that's up to a jury to decide (if it goes that far).

15. macrumors 6502a

Thank goodness I live in a rural area, where my dogs can bark at the deer and my chickens can wake up my donkeys. ;)

16. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Too many people buy dogs on a whim, fail to care for them, and leave them abandoned for hours on end. When you hear a dog who barks all the time, you can bet he is starved for attention and love.
    The owner is the real problem.

17. macrumors 6502

I think the back pain is a little far, but maybe i could see a case if the dogs were violating some kind of noise laws, even then i would think that it's the city's problem instead of the neighbor?

18. macrumors 604

CalBoy

Their constant barking almost assuredly violates NYC's noise ordinance(s), and even if NYC doesn't have such an ordinance, it would violate established common law principles of being comfortable in your home and free from unnecessary burdens, nicely wrapped up under the umbrella of nuisance torts.
    The city can't really do much beyond issuing a citation (if the law allows for it). In a neighbor vs neighbor dispute, cities generally don't get involved.

19. macrumors 6502

Ok, thanks for sorting that out, i was obviously misinformed

20. macrumors G5

Consultant

Some people are annoyed if you breath the wrong way.

Police did not find the noise loud, thus no citations.

Currently in a situation with unreasonable roommate (landlord's son) who keeps old man hours and complains at everything. UGH... Funny thing is the landlords are in the townhouse next door, and if the landlord's son have friends over, the landlord will call his son to complain. LOL.

Good luck if these people ever have kids. They will probably commit suicie from the "noise" of baby crying.

21. macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

What about neighbors who sue squealing lawyers?

The horror of it all.

22. macrumors 6502

blitzkrieg79

Well actually I understand the plaintiff (and not everyone likes animals, especially in apartment buildings any animal that potentially can cause a lot of noise should not be allowed, period, if you own your own house then you can keep a whole zoo for all I care), I used to have a neighbor that had a dog barking all the ***** time, calls to police didn't do squat, so... I moved out and live somewhere else, good thing that I was just leasing the apartment, if I would have owned the place that would be a little bigger problem as I would definitely got involved legally and it would take a lot of hassle to eventually sell the place. And another problem I do have is with those ricer cars with fart cans, especially at 4 am, those things should be outlawed, first thing is that none of those cars can pass an emissions test (all of them go to private centers where they pass for $75) and if you want a sports car, buy a Mustang or a Corvette, at least those engines sound nice :p

23. macrumors 603

63dot

Fierceness is actually different than a certain task some dogs are bred for. Some dogs are bred as scent hounds, some to actually pull heavy loads, and some specifically to hunt down and kill rats.

I don't know if that breed is a ratter. Ratters like shih tzu/lhasa apsos or daschunds, from different countries, dealt with some extremely large rats of species (super muroidias) found in countries (Sub-Saharan African nations, China, Germany) of which there are no current US counterparts.

Not to get gross, the bigger rats of old and still in some third world countries, in earlier historical times were not ruled out as food, for humans, nor were dogs when they got old. I have to say sometimes Animal Planet gives me TMI. ;)