Manhattan Village, CA

Discussion in 'iPhone Purchaser Meetups' started by mitchellh, Jun 14, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Ill be at the Manhattan Village Apple Store on July 11 :)

2. macrumors newbie

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Woo! What time were you planning on going? :eek:

4. macrumors newbie

havnt decided yet, how about yourself? I requested the day off from work so the earlier the better--- especially if we have to activate in store.

last year for iDay a few friends and I had a boombox, and the group in front of us had tons of chairs and a portable canopy. It turned into a partayyy!

5. macrumors 68040

abijnk

My fiance and I will be there too! :D

We're new to the area, and we didn't go to the launch last year, so we don't really know how this goes... What time will you guys be getting there?

6. macrumors 6502

Justinerator

I'll be there either the 11th* or the 13th.... the 11th for the experience, or the 13th for the no line/no waiting experience! ;)

*If I go the 11th, I'll be there at 5 in the morning or so. Last year people camped out from the night before, so I assume it will be like that again...

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmm... I will check out the situation the night of the 10th and if its looking like there are a lot of people I'll head out there that night. But if not, I'll probably be there at 5 or 6 AM. :cool:

8. macrumors 6502

Justinerator

I guess I'll see you then! :D

Justin

p.s. Rumors are that they will be released at 6:00 PM at both the apple store and AT&T stores.

9. macrumors 68040

abijnk

Since this store is in a mall are there any restrictions to being there the night before? When I talked to an employee yesterday about it they said security might run you off, but he didn't really know because he hadn't been working at last year's launch...

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm I was thinking about this probability also. I worked at an Apple Store for a year and during the iPhone launch but unfortunately it was not a mall store so I'm not sure.

The way I see it people will probably be lined up outside the mall doors rather than trying to camp out inside ;) I don't see any reason for them to shoo you away from there.

11. macrumors newbie

There is 24 hour security in Manhattan Village, but they do lock the doors to the mall all night. Lines form outside of the mall, starting in front of Islands/ Tommy Bahama and curving around Macy's Womens (North.. towards sepulveda). Last year line divider thingies (a la like at a bank) were set up to herd people into a line.

I havnt decided how early I will be there, but I am scared that with an international release the supply on the first day will not meet the demand. We were okay last year, but iPhones were only being released in one country. For a release with the same demand (probably wont have near the demand of the first gen tho..), I would imagine they would be more likely to run out on day one.

12. macrumors 6502

Justinerator

Not even... Apple plans for this stuff! ;) I assume it will take weeks, if at all before they run out of stock at the apple store. AT&T stores, I presume, will sell out in the first few hours of opening the doors though. The AT&T store on the corner of Sepulvida and MB Blvd said they only got 39 iphones for the first release, and they're a pretty big (in terms of importance) store around the South Bay area. So they sold out in the first hour... :eek:

Just my $.02 :)

13. macrumors newbie

True.. as you said though, going on the 11th is part of the experience.. plus it would be cool to be one of the first to have the latest and greatest

14. macrumors 68040

abijnk

Thanks for all the info guys! I am so excited about this, it really isn't natural... :eek:

We should find a way to have a small macrumors party while we wait :D

15. macrumors member

fellow south bayers! sup guys. sigh.. this wait is just killin me! any updates on whether or not it's gonna be another 6pm release?

btw, I know there's already a poll in the main iphone thread, but for the south bayers, what size/color? I like the black 16GB, but the more I see the white the more I like it (not as feminine-looking as I thought).

16. macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'm definitely getting 16GB, but I can't decide on white or black...:confused:

17. macrumors newbie

Sounds good! I'll bring a stereo and some chairs! We can order some food while we wait, and of course have coolers filled with drinks!

I'm thinking I will show up around 10am or so, although if all of you other macrumors folk will be there earlier, perhaps I will go for the experience of waiting in line with fellow apple fans

18. macrumors newbie

19. macrumors regular

whats an iphone?

just kidding guys. the wait is killing me. im using a tmobile dash right now and it is probably the worst smartphone around. i have one question. since im with tmobile right now, do i have to bring my tmobile bill so i can have my number transferred?

20. macrumors 6502

I'm planning on being there too (as long as I don't get sent out of town on work)! I was at the first one so I have to be there again, don't I? :p

21. macrumors 68040

abijnk

When I ported my number over from verizon all they needed was my account number. NOT the phone number, the ACCOUNT number. I would just make sure you have it with you to speed things up, otherwise they will have you call T-Mobile in the store and get your account number (they will give you the number to call and everything). Its a really simple process.

23 days! :D

22. macrumors member

abiyng, I'm in a similar situation now as u were in before w/ my verizon service. my 2 year plan doesn't expire til next april, so I gotta call verizon myself and cancel service before I buy the iphone/at&t service or will that just automatically get done if I port my # in-store or something? btw, when u switched from verizon, was ur contract up or did u have to deal w/ the ETF? if u did, did u make an attempt at getting out of contract w/o paying or was there just no way around it?

I could just call verizon but figured asking a fellow verizon refugee would be more informative =).

thanks in advance!

23. macrumors 6502

I will most likely be there too. Either there or the Grove. The Grove might have more phones, but also more people. I cant decide what time I should go...

Also I cant decide on white or black. :-\

24. macrumors 68040

abijnk

Honestly I had such a bad experience with Verizon that i left the door running and didn't look back. I didn't even think about arguing the ETF because that would have meant talking to them again. :D

If you are porting your number over from another carrier DO NOT cancel your contract before you sign up with AT&T. If you do you will lose your current number and will be assigned a new AT&T number. To port you number over just call your current carrier ahead of time and ask them to give you your account number; you might even be able to look up the account number online if you use that type of service. Then, when you go to AT&T to start your contract with them tell them you want to port your number from carrier X. They will ask you for your account number with X and will pull everything through their system. Your contract with your previous carrier will automatically be canceled in the process and you will receive a final bill from them in the next week or so. Its as easy as that!

25. macrumors member

wow, thanks for the great reply! one more thing.. so after porting, and the contract from previous carrier automatically canceled, how crazy was the final verizon bill sent to you after the fact? with verizon's prorated ETF, mine shouldn't be too crazy at around $100-$105ish, but I don't wanna have to deal with random hidden charges cause they're mad at you for switching over hahah. :D

thanks again!