Maniac Mansion

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nobs, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Nobs macrumors member

Hey, anyone remember this game? I used to play the original on NES and also it's sequel Day of the Tentacle (DOTT) on my old PC. But now I am searching out Mac versions of the games. I can't imagine that the original Maniac Mansion would be available to buy...does anyone know if I can download this game anywhere on the net?

I'm dying for a Maniac Mansion fix.

2. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Don't limit yourself to Mac, if you find a PC version of it I'm sure you could play it with ScummVM. I dug out my old copy of Day of the Tentacle (PC-CD) and loaded it into ScummVM and it plays better than it ever did on my PC. Granted, my PC at the time was a 486...

[edit]
    Forgive my forum-manners. ScummVM can be found here.

[another edit]
    By the way, I believe if you have the PC-CD version of Day of the Tentacle you can play Maniac Mansion by using Green Tentacle's computer. I remember I saved my game right in his room so that I could go back and play Maniac Mansion.

3. Nobs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks David. :) I actually found my old PC floppies for DOTT...(boy is that dating me) and I found SCUMM online. But I'm confused. Can I use the PC disks to copy the files over to my Mac and play it through SCUMM? I'm not entirely sure how SCUMM works.

4. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

It should all be documented.

Basically all the DOTT.EXE file is, is the Scumm interface. The game itself is in the resource files. ScummVM basically replaces DOTT.EXE.

The ScummVM documentation will tell you what files to take off of your CD (or floppies). I believe they're something like RESOURCE.xxx files, and a MONSTER.SND file. Put those in a directory on your mac and point ScummVM to it and it should play the game. I think thats all you need to do.

5. Nobs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I will try that! :)

6. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

No prob!

One more thing, if you note on the ScummVM page you can download the full CD versions of the games Beneath the Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen for use in ScummVM. You can find other Scumm games on Abandonware sites, but BTSS and FOTAQ are the only two LEGAL downloads.

I need to scour the bargain bins for Sam and Max and the Monkey Island games.

7. Nobs thread starter macrumors member

:lol

I can't believe it worked. I am going to try this out right now. :)

8. Nobs thread starter macrumors member

Oh, and I just dug out my old Sam and Max Cd. High-larious.

9. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Ah, Maniac Mansion. That's been a great game. In fact, that's been the reason why I got a computer back in the days. I saw the game at some friends and wanted to play it, too. I liked the secret door at the stairs so much! Ah, memories... :rolleyes:

10. szark macrumors 68030

szark

This is so funny -- I was just thinking about this game earlier today!

I'm going to have to try this method of playing it, and I think I'll check out those other games too.

The first time I played Maniac Mansion was on an Atari 1040 ST using the pc-ditto software emulator. Talk about S...L...O...W... :)

11. Nobs thread starter macrumors member

I thought about this game because I found this online game called Master of Time and Space that was very Maniac Mansion-esque. But I would much rather play the real thing.

I wish there was a downloadable Mac version of this game. I don't mind playig DOTT again, but you can't save your file (as far as I can tell) and I don't feel like going through the entire game over again just to find the original Maniac Mansion.

BTW, if you're interested in playing MOTAS, try it our here:

http://www.albartus.com/motas/

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can save, I think you have to press F5 or something though. I'm sure it will be documented somewhere.

13. szark macrumors 68030

szark

From the ScummVM FAQ:

Can I save/restore the game?

Yes. Saving and restoring is already supported (ALT-1/9 to save, CTRL - 1/9 to restore, or F5 to access the save/load menu).

(Unless there's a bug in that particular game.)

14. Nobs thread starter macrumors member

Saving

I tried saving using F5 and it gives me a failure. :( I just got pretty far in the game too.