Manual fan control utility??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBookProJoe, May 11, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Does anyone know of a manual fan control utility? Id like to have better control of my cooling....

Thanks.

Tom

2. macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

smcfancontrol

3. macrumors 68000

creator2456

4. thread starter macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Ask and you shall receive. Thanks guys.

Love having manual control.

5. macrumors 68000

creator2456

Welcome. I have been using smc since early v.1 and have had no problems other than a memory leak in a v.2.x release that was fixed the next day.

Also, I created presets for 1500, 3000, 4500, and 6000 rpm. Don't use 6000 much, but it's nice to have 4 distinguished steps for cooling effectiveness/quickness.

6. macrumors regular

7. thread starter macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Well thats just great! I followed your link and down loaded your suggestion. I unzipped it and now I dont know where the damn thing is! I cant find it! Can you offer hints as to where this darn thing is? And what its called?

8. macrumors regular

Yes, sorry.
    It is within the system preferences...
    Before using it you have to reboot and repair rights...

9. thread starter macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Well, Im not having good luck with this one. I dont like it as well as the first offering in this thread. Can you help as to how I can remove it from the system?

10. thread starter macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Ok, Im sorry for being such a putz. Here's my problem. I originally installed SMC fan control and it worked GREAT! Then while screwing around I threw it into the trash. Then I tried that other control from the German site and I didnt care for it. So, I through that into the trash rebooted and then reinstalled SMC. the trouble is it isnt responding well like it did before. Before it would adjust to temperatures. Now I try and set my own and they arent working. I try and set for example, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 6000 etc etc. Before I could do it, now it wont.

Im frustrated and lost damn it. Serves me right for leaving the Mac 15 years ago.

Tom

11. macrumors regular

Hello,
    maybe you got the wrong version? For leopard you need the 1,21.
    What was wrong with that app?

ps
    to uninstall the fan control:
    Uninstall Instructions

1. Remove the following files and folders (both on your start disk):

/Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon
    /Library/PreferencePanes/Fan Control.prefPane

(You will be prompted for the Administrator's password when deleting these items.)
    2. Reboot
    3. If you have a newer Mac model (i.e. with Core 2 Duo), use the utility smcFanControl http://www.conscius.de/~eidac/files/...8a52bae5fdc-16. html to reset all settings to Apple's defaults.
    4. Reboot again.

12. macrumors member

Do what Kaupa says + you HAVE TO reset the SMC. SMC is the System Management Controller, which forms the bridge between hardware and software, and also controlling the fans.

1. Shutdown.
    2. Remove Battery + Adapter
    3. Hold Power Button for 5 seconds.
    4. Put everything back in.
    5. Boot the mac and everything is fine again. The SMC has been reset the factory defaults have control again.

13. macrumors 68000

creator2456

I never liked Fan Control for the very reason you are having trouble. It is more intrusive than smcFanControl and has caused more problems (that I have seen) when people update or uninstall it.

The others have provided the steps to resolve the situation, so I won't repeat.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Thank you all for the help. That link didnt work. Ill try everything else. Im learning the Mac world again and that is good.

Tom

15. macrumors member

You are SO right. I even read some posts elsewhere that Fan Control actually *broke* their SMC... don't know if it's right. But I used it once and will never use it again... my mbp was quite messed up afterwards.