Manually restoring Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ryvius, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Ryvius macrumors member

Probably a redundant question...

Migration Assistant failed me today so I've been manually moving data over. I'd like to keep all my old Mail if possible, so I've grabbed the Mail and Mail Downloads folders from my user/library directory.

My research on these forums indicated that was the core files, but that there was a special preference plane I needed to grab? I looked all over but couldn't find one.

Do I have what I need or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for the assist...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You might be looking for com.apple.mail.plist which is in the Preferences folder on your Home drive's Library. Are you migrating from the same system? in other words, are you going from Mail 2.0 to Mail 2.0? If you're not, then you might have troubles simply replacing files and should look into using the actual Mail app to reimport your emails. :)

3. Ryvius thread starter macrumors member

Going from a PB to a MBP C2D.

Its the same version of Mail, but probably a universial binary.

I wish Migration Assistant had worked.. :D

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, the Universal Binary thing doesn't matter because you're not actually changing anything to affect the app, just its database. Sucks about Migration Assistant (it's not the best program) but at least this method should work. :)

5. Ryvius thread starter macrumors member

Ah good to hear. And for some strange reason...I can't find com.apple.mail.plist in the root library folder. Spotlight couldn't even find it. Is it necessary?

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Apple's mail program will create a plist file of it's own when it's opened.

You may want to check your User/Library/Preferences folder for the original com.apple.plist file as well. This is where it is usually located.

Also, in User/Library/Mail you will find all of the setup info for all of your mailboxes. May want to copy/move these to your new mac. :)

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, sorry, I don't mean the root folder. It's in the Home folder's Library, like Onizuka The Standard said.