Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
It's amazing how "dozens of users" all of a sudden widespread issue, unbelievable!

Basis for your BS statement? iOS 9.3 is statistically the most stable version of iOS in YEARS, and has been absolutely brilliant for me on all my iOS devices. As has OS X 10.11.4. Gotta love mindless commentary like this...

You seem to have a lot invested in the issue. (I am invested both as a fanboi and shareholder and if there are problems let folks call it out, this is the only route to improvement.)

MagMan1979

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
You seem to have a lot invested in the issue. (I am invested both as a fanboi and shareholder and if there are problems let folks call it out, this is the only route to improvement.)

I'm all for calling out problems, I'm not for over-dramatizing something that, as of yet, does not seem to be exceedingly widespread, and as has been pointed out by others here, is also affecting non-Apple devices.

I personally have had Bluetooth (and Wifi) issues with devices from multiple different brands, and Apple is no exception here.

Like I said earlier, if this is a bug that Apple can fix (and likely will) in software, terrific! One of the reasons I switched to them years ago is because they do push out fixes to their iOS devices better than anyone else.

Reactions: TurboPGT!

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
I don't get why these types of things always seem to be issues with phone manufacturers. Android devices have these kinds of issues too. I would think these more common problems would be caught and solved before release of a device into consumer hands. This doesn't seem like a super rare issue that would slip through cracks easily and that no one testing would have never seen. Maybe they need larger pools of devices in the testing phase.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
SE = sucky experience

Do tell of the many sleepless nights which you endured, scratching your head, scribbling down witticisms before frustratedly scrunching them into balls & then tossing them into the waste paper basket, flipping over a new leaf of your jotter and trying again... and then... one inspired morning, this comedic masterpiece dropped into your head..... EUREKA!

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
My mom and I just got ourselves our first bluetooth headphones for our SE's. We just returned them because the call quality was crap but the music was great. It's unfortunate we just returned them, now that I know our issue is the phones, not our reception or anything.

Yeah, some people end up returning good hardware because they don't even consider their brand new premium iPhone to be at the root of the problem. This should be a good reminder to people that Apple's quality isn't as good as it used to be, especially when it comes to software and they shouldn't return/toss out accessories until they can verify that their Apple product(s) isn't the cause of the problem.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
I don't get why these types of things always seem to be issues with phone manufacturers. Android devices have these kinds of issues too. I would think these more common problems would be caught and solved before release of a device into consumer hands. This doesn't seem like a super rare issue that would slip through cracks easily and that no one testing would have never seen. Maybe they need larger pools of devices in the testing phase.

#nottechnicallyminded
[doublepost=1460398880][/doublepost]
Yeah, some people end up returning good hardware because they don't even consider their brand new premium iPhone to be at the root of the problem. This should be a good reminder to people that Apple's quality isn't as good as it used to be, especially when it comes to software and they shouldn't return/toss out accessories until they can verify that their Apple products isn't the cause of the problem.

Or maybe, possibly, that the modern devices we all HUGELY take for granted, have so many layers of incomprehensible complexity that we are shielded from, thankfully, it's a marvel of engineering prowess that they work AT ALL. Yeah, that's probably more like it ;)

skinsone

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
For those who express their the "get over it" thoughts, please unless you have this issue, you don't know or understand how irritating it is on many levels.

I've had iPhones for years. Never had a Bluetooth issue until I purchased the SE.

I purchased a 2015 Silverado LTZ six months ago. My 5s, 9.2.1, works flawlessly with MyLink. Connected to it using the Lightning cord. Sound quality for Pandora and calls were excellent. Bluetooth just worked.

However, now my SE will NOT connect to MyLink using the Lightning cord which totally defeats the purpose of having it. Bluetooth will connect to MyLink, only I lose the ability listen to incoming/replying to texts, placing/receiving calls and listening to Pandora.

As a result of this, I spent 2.5 hours last week with AppleCare trying to resolve this with a senior level tech. His final suggestion was to take my truck to my dealer to see if the MyLink system needed a firmware upgrade. I'll humor Apple; have an appt tomorrow with my dealership.

Obviously, I'm not going to return my truck for a refund because the SE doesn't connect properly. I'll drive the 4+ hours round trip to the nearest Apple Store to return the SE, saving myself $624.00 and continue to use my 5s until Apple resolves the Bluetooth issues.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Did anyone call the police for domestic violence? Apparently Apple had been physically abusing the consumers and they don't want people to snitch. I mean hey... It's special edition... They gonna get that Special edition treatment.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
For those who express their the "get over it" thoughts, please unless you have this issue, you don't know or understand how irritating it is on many levels.

I've had iPhones for years. Never had a Bluetooth issue until I purchased the SE.

I purchased a 2015 Silverado LTZ six months ago. My 5s, 9.2.1, works flawlessly with MyLink. Connected to it using the Lightning cord. Sound quality for Pandora and calls were excellent. Bluetooth just worked.

However, now my SE will NOT connect to MyLink using the Lightning cord which totally defeats the purpose of having it. Bluetooth will connect to MyLink, only I lose the ability listen to incoming/replying to texts, placing/receiving calls and listening to Pandora.

As a result of this, I spent 2.5 hours last week with AppleCare trying to resolve this with a senior level tech. His final suggestion was to take my truck to my dealer to see if the MyLink system needed a firmware upgrade. I'll humor Apple; have an appt tomorrow with my dealership.

Obviously, I'm not going to return my truck for a refund because the SE doesn't connect properly. I'll drive the 4+ hours round trip to the nearest Apple Store to return the SE, saving myself $624.00 and continue to use my 5s until Apple resolves the Bluetooth issues.

Or just save yourself a huge trip, use analogue input to the stereo until they fix it (they will). Which is a better option? Bluetooth is not the only solution.

Reactions: MagMan1979

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
#nottechnicallyminded
[doublepost=1460398880][/doublepost]

Or maybe, possibly, that the modern devices we all HUGELY take for granted, have so many layers of incomprehensible complexity that we are shielded from, thankfully, it's a marvel of engineering prowess that they work AT ALL. Yeah, that's probably more like it ;)

Well, that "marvel of engineering prowess" is loosing its shine. I don't know if that's a result of engineers biting off more than they can chew, being asked to do too much, good engineers retiring and not being replaced by engineers of similar caliber (being outsourced to people abroad with less than ideal skills), not enough effective beta testing or some other reason. We've had too many issues lately and that has to be the result of some unknown (or perhaps known by some) deficiency in the system. Maybe I'm trying to simplify this too much and I should be glad that things usually work despite the complexity, but you have to admit that there has been a "trend" of late and it's not an encouraging one. There will always be issues, but lately it seems like there's one after the other in a steady progression.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Tested my SE with a Jabra SOLEMATE and if worked fine. Apart from that I never use BT for anything, especially not music. Quality is just too bad.

There are great sounding BT headphones on the market where the sound quality will be indistinguishable from that of wired headphones (for all but the pickiest audiophile). I've got a pair of Plantronics BackBeat Pro's that are awesome (they use the AptX codec) and I can't tell the difference when I connect them wirelessly - so I use them exclusively without wires.

Reactions: You are the One

r3dflame

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2016
Apple does indeed know about this issue, I have a bug open in bug reporter and it was marked as a duplicate and linked to the master issue.

Reactions: motulist

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Always has been...lots of problems.

Its one thing to engineer... it's another to do it right first time, all the time..... No one is that skilled.... when was the last time u were perfect 100% and never made a mistake in your lifetime?

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
In my experience Bluetooth causes massive battery drains so I don't ever use it.

PS> Be safe and don't fiddle with your cell phone while driving!! Where I live far too many people on their phones and driving recklessly because of it. It's like getting on a race track where over half of the drivers are DRUNK. It's ridiculous and unfortunately somebody reading this will roll their eyes....and will probably do harm to their body/property or somebody else's body/property at some point in the future ALL B/C OF inappropriate cell phone usage.

BE SMARTER THAN YOUR PHONE PEOPLE!!

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
These bluetooth woes reminds me of the ones that occurred during the late iOS 7 or early iOS 8 days. Either way it was almost 2 years ago and I had a i5 at the time.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I noticed this using my Philips Bluetooth audio headset model SHB5500BK/27. I chalked it up to teething issues with a new model phone. The same headset worked fine with my iPhone 5S. I'm sure it will be resolved soon.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Regarding BT audio performance:
- My headset worked better with my iPhone4s. I have drops and reconnects, distortions, digitized audio and even, since the last iOS update, occasionally audio coming out of my headphones at like 50% speed;
- my mom has had to deactivate her $3200 hearing aid due to drop ins and drop outs, as well as the device refusing to stay disconnected when she switches output from hearing aid to speaker phone (toggling BT is not practical because it isolates her watch);
- my sister (besides being sour about the lack of the indicated CarPlay) seems to have no issues.
- (I also have stupid things happen which are bush league. Like I can start a call with my BT headset paired to my phone, and hear it ringing, but when the recipient answers, the phone switches off BT and I'm briefly interrupted as I have to open a menu to reconnect ((previously I "only" had to click the play button the headset to reconnect)) but why should I suffer this at all, or for the last 2 years???)

^THIS Drives me fricking NUTZ!!! I use a Plantronics Legend that knows when I have it on and when I place a call, it rings in the headset but when answered, switches to iPhone 6 earpiece.

Other times, like when listening to VM's through the PT Legend, there is a repetitive connect/disconnect tone, about 5-10 times, before the thing works. By then, the VM has played and I have to do it all over again.

It's not just me...a friend with same and different BT headsets has similar issues. Apple doesn't care, though. It's been since iOS 9 and it's still broken.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Newsflash:

It's a NEW MODEL. Bugs happen, life happens. Get over it.

/Newsflash.

No. This is not just a minor or hard to come-by bug. BT is a key function of any smart phone in 2016 and one that should have have been well tested in a large group of common cars and accessories. Also Apple is no small company that can't afford to throughly test its products, and especially after the iPhone 4 you would think it would go over operability of major features with a fine tooth comb.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Bad excuse. Maybe instead, Apple should just hire for once someone who knows something about BLUETOOTH?!?

I mean think about it. They've had nothing but problems with Yosemite & El Capitan regarding bluetooth El Capitan STILL has unresolved bluetooth issues I keep reporting to no avail.

Get your BLUETOOTH in order Apple!

Having suffered Stockholm syndrome over the 2012 rmbp wifi issues, the BT works fine :)

You are correct it's really not good enough

skinsone

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
Or just save yourself a huge trip, use analogue input to the stereo until they fix it (they will). Which is a better option? Bluetooth is not the only solution.

We tried this, didn't work. The SE is recognized as only a media player, not as an iPhone.

I have a brand new iPhone which doesn't perform the way it should. Living in a rural area and driving long distances I need my phone to sync with my truck. Sure I could swap out the SIM card and use my 5s every time I drive my truck, but after a day of doing it, that got old fast.

I waited to purchase the SE and other than this issue, I really like the phone. It definitely out performs my 5s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.