Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Anyone who has the DP, feel free to answer...

* Can you still move between spaces using Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2, etc? If not is there any other keyboard shortcut to get to a particular space without swiping through the intervening spaces or using Mission Control? If I'm in Space 8 I don't want to have to swipe seven times to get back to Space 1.

* I'm guessing there's no button or other control in Mission Control to create a new space ad-hoc, like creating a tab in Safari, or to delete a space for that matter

* Is there a "default" desktop to use for new Spaces? How does System Preferences deal with the ability to have different desktop backgrounds for different Spaces? How does Applescript deal with it? (currently you can set "the desktop" in Applescript; but now that there can be more than one, what does that command do?)

* When fullscreen apps become their own space, how are they arranged? Do they show up as the last space, to the right of the space they started in, to the right.. where?

* When fullscreen apps go back into windowed mode, do they return to the space where they started (and if not, where do they go?) Will they default to the space they're assigned to, if that has been set up in System Preferences?

* Can apps be started in fullscreen? Will they remember what mode they were in when last they quit?

* Apps such as games or the new iPhoto which support "old-school" fullscreen mode but aren't compiled for Lion: do they simply take over the Space they're already in, when shown in Mission Control?

* Can FInder, Mail, Safari or other windows remember which space they were in before they quit? In 10.6, for instance, if you had your Mail Inbox in Space 1 and your Sent in Space 2, then quit and reopened the app, both windows would show up again but they'd open together in the current space rather than remember where they were.

* When using multiple monitors, do any fullscreen apps take advantage of the second monitor?

* Do Finder windows have the ability to lose their toolbar and sidebar (this was previously possible using the right hand side "lozenge" button but I've heard it's been removed)

* Can Address Book go fullscreen? What about Finder?

* Do LaunchPad folders map to actual file system folders? If you create /Applications/Stuff/, does that result in a LaunchPad folder called Stuff? Or vice-versa?

* Does LaunchPad automatically include apps from the user's ~/Applications/ folder as well as the system one?

* Does Mail support the "classic" layout (message list in single-line format on top, individual email below) in full screen view? If you have the classic look enabled in windowed mode, does it switch to the "iPad-like" layout in fullscreen?

* Is there an option to bring back the sidebar in iCal, rather than use the popover? Popover makes sense with limited real estate but what about fullscreen on a 27" display? I mean c'mon..

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Creating ad-hoc Spaces would be awesome though! I would love to have a gesture, keyboard shortcut, and/or simply a button in Mission Control that would add a new Space. Maybe you could even do stuff like in Safari, such as "move current window to new blank Space" or "create new blank Space" wile pressing Alt or something.

It would be super useful.

Thank you Apple for reading this post and adding this feature! :D

brianus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Creating ad-hoc Spaces would be awesome though! I would love to have a gesture, keyboard shortcut, and/or simply a button in Mission Control that would add a new Space. Maybe you could even do stuff like in Safari, such as "move current window to new blank Space" or "create new blank Space" wile pressing Alt or something.

It would be super useful.

Thank you Apple for reading this post and adding this feature! :D

I know, right? The current model of a fixed number of Spaces occasionally modified in Preferences doesn't really fit the use case of virtual workspaces, I don't think. I have four "fixed" spaces on my workstation for sets of tasks and their associated applications which I have to deal with every day, but I also usually have between one and maybe five projects which are started and finished in a day. The current setup is great for those first four tasks but inconvenient for the temporary tasks. I want my Spaces to shrink and grow with my workload, just as browser tabs multiply or decrease according to browsing habits.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Here's a related question of my own:

Now that you can change backgrounds for multiple Spaces, can you still right click on a JPEG and choose "Set desktop picture"?

I really like that menu command as it bypasses you having to go to System Preferences, and then browse for the image you want.

Now that there are multiple background pictures, is that menu command gone, or does it always apply to the current space? Or something else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.