Many questions about the new iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iDM, Oct 12, 2005.

1. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    So thats my situation heres my questions.....

Alright questions i got about the 30gig iPod Video
    1:Can and is this called the 5th Gen it's gotta be with a new form factor ok so that was probably stupid.
    2:Can i put my own videos on this, like ones that i do not buy from the iTunes Music store, such as iMovies i've made and other movies i have acquired (.avi, .mpg etc.)
    3:The universal dock connector can i use that with my old 3rd Gen iPod dock that i still have from when it was stolen?
    4:Who does Apple use to ship when doing free shipping? USPS, UPS, DHL, Fed-EX anyone have any idea. I live in Pittsburgh, PA if that makes a difference at all.
    5: Can this thing connect to the TV out of the box assuming i have typical red white yellow RCA cables? If not do i have to buy the DOCK and those A/V cables? Can i just buy an A/V cable that hooks right into the dock connector?

Wow I'm not sure if they all can be answered since i'm assuming no one here has their hands on one as we speak but any constructive info would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Moved quote to bottom so people do not have to read first

2. crazyjoeda macrumors member

I think the shipping in 24hr was just a mistake since in the keynote he said it won't start shipping untill next week.

3. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Anybody know if Apple is going to release cases for the new iPods similar to the nano tubes? I just sold my 4th generation yesterday and I want to buy a new 60GB, but I hate not having a case... then I feel like an amateur iPod owner when in reality this is my third unit.

Daniel

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

1) I'd assume so.
    2) Yes, I'm fairly sure.

5) I would have thought so but I don't see it listed in the Tech Specs as an included accessory. The iPod A/V cable is $19.

My own question:

Can you burn shows to DVD?

5. dotnina macrumors 6502a

It does come with a case, so at least you'll have some protection off the bat.

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

No.

You can't burn them to anything, and you can only watch them on 5 computers

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Gah :(

So if I buy a show there's no way to watch it anywhere but my computer without throwing down $299 on an iPod.

8. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Can somebody get a picture of the case up when they get one? Thanks.

Daniel

9. iDM thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    They showed what i think was the case during the event screening and frankly it looked pretty lame, it doesn't click on your belt, and it doesn't allow you to control the ipod from within, not nearly as nice as the one they paired with the 3rd gen, i mean i even got a dock with my 3rd gen

Anyone wanna take a stab at the other questions i asked??

10. gco212 macrumors 6502

Since this seems to be the place to put questions about the iPod video, what would be your method to load DVD's onto your computer that you alread own, and what format would you convert it to.

11. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

In answer to number 5, you'll have to buy the kit, as already mentioned.

My current method for watching videos on my TV (for the whole 3 hours I've had the software) is to download the show/movie, then connect my laptop via S-Video cable to my TV and use a headphone jack - RCA convertor. Therefore, I just paid $6 (well, 5.97) to watch three episodes on my TV through my computer that I could have just taped. Oh well

So, GFLPraxis there is a method, albeit a slightly difficult one, for watching it on your TV without plunking down $299 for an iPod.

And gco212, I believe every known method of doing that is currently very illegal.

12. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I don't think this would be illegal, as you've already bought the DVD and just want to watch it on your iPod. MacTheRipper would probably be the easiest way to get your movies onto your computer then you'd need to encode them to H264 or mpeg4, I image there's tonnes of software to do that, only one that comes to mind is quicktime with the mpeg2 plugin.

13. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

You have broken the CSS, hence it is illegal ;)

14. reybart macrumors member

My own question:

Can you burn shows to DVD?

Nope!But you can own them forever and play them in 5 computers too.I just don't know how you can have them again just in case something happened to your computer.

15. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Well, you could just burn the files themselves to DVD or CD for backup. They wouldn't be playable in a DVD player, obviously, but it is just an extra copy of the file. If your computer crashed you would copy the contents of the DVD/CD back to your computer and re-authorize it to play them.

(Thats what I do for my current iTunes library. I have all my songs on two DVDs, just in case.)

16. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Im not sure if this question has been addressed, but has anyone noticed that i see no mention of firewire in any of the ipod pages ? Have i simply missed it, or have they dropped firewire support ?

edit: Ignore this as yes it has been address in another thread.

17. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

DIVX IS MY FIRST CONCERN!!

Will we be able to watch the divx files which we download from any p2p program or torrent?

I know it may not be legal, I'm just wondering, cause it will change my buying decision alot!

18. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

This has been addressed in many other threads as well. Simply search for "Divx" in "iPod and iTunes discussion"

19. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

So why can you legally buy software that allows you to do this? Because you are legally allowed to make backups of your discs incase they are damaged. It floats in that grey area where big money corporations will say it's illegal, whereas consumer activists say it's not and nothing is done about it as major companies just sit there selling more and more of the copying software as they're not stopped. If it was truly illegal there's no way you'd be able to walk into a FutureShop and purchase the copying software. As long as you're not making money/selling copies there's no issue