many small files spanned to several cd's?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joebells, Jul 1, 2006.

1. joebells macrumors 6502

Hi my aunt is currently working on getting a new computer but in the meantime she is bringing me her memory cards full of photographs and asking me to dump them off the cards and burn them. I've got an automator action that goes through all the different folders that her canon makes and gets all the photos off there and puts into one folder to save time and make sure I don't forget any pictures. After its done running I then have to go through and select just enough photo's to fit on one cd. Then I have to remember where I left off to burn the next cd and so forth and hope that between several cd's I haven't forgotten any pictures. Its not hard or anything just I worry that I may end up forgetting a picture at some point and it takes more time than it should.

I've played around with automator but haven't come up with any way of doing this. I thought it would be easy to do first off but I guess its not. I searched and searched and didn't find anything out there except toast and such but I'd prefer a simple script as opposed to purchasing a seperate program.

Anyone know of a script or some osx tool that I'm not privvy to that will do this?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

just to get an idea, how many memory cards, and what size are the cards?

depending on the size of the card, would it not be easiest, to just transfer the contents of each card to a disk? or if they are smaller sized cards a couple of cards to disk? unless you're burning to a DVD Data disc.

3. joebells thread starter macrumors 6502

all sorts of different sized cards and sometimes she will only fill a card up partially there's got to be a way to automate the process. Thanks for the reply PlaceofDis

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i honestly can't think of anyway to automate the process.
    but i could be wrong.

what i would to if i were in you situation is create a folder, and transfer all the pictures to said folder, then break down the folder into smaller sizes based on the capacity of the disks you're using. then burn each one.