Map Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darbsrewop, Feb 3, 2006.

1. darbsrewop macrumors member

I know this has probably been answered but I'm going to ask it anyway. How do you map a drive? I have a drive on my PC that I share to it's entirety. I'd like to have it alway have a connection from my ibook instead of going to Go -->Connect To etc. etc

Any clue?

Thanks

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've forgotten the specifics, but if anyone provides an answer in this thread, it'll likely solve your problem as well.

3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

for a straightforward clickable alias, mount the drive and drag the little icon next to the title into your dock (on the trash can side). as long as you always use the same logon for that machine it should mount it when you click it - if you access the machine with multiple accounts for different volumes that seems to screw it up

4. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Hmmm, I tried that and when I tried to remount the drive from that icon, it showed a "?" in the dock. Am I missing something? I mounted the drive, dragged the desktop icon of the drive to my dock next to the trashcan, then ejected the drive. the I tried to click on the icon in order to remount it and it gave me the "?".

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW, until you find something better, you can at least use ⌘-K in Finder to connect without needing to go to the menus... but, yeah, automount would be better.

6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

not the desktop icon, the tiny icon in the title of the window when you open the drive (altho why, i'm not sure...)

and remember to check the keychain box when you log on to mount