Maple Syrup

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aquajet, Oct 30, 2006.

1. aquajet macrumors 68020

I really like pancakes. I also really like genuine maple syrup with them, not the artificial stuff. Recently I bought a bottle that tastes kind of funky, which got me thinking: what brands are the best, and where does it come from? So what are your thoughts. Which brand do you prefer and where does the syrup come from?

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

For all the time I've spent in New England, I should know better.

But, as a good consumer of proletariat syrups, this is what I enjoy with my vanilla Eggo:

[​IMG]

I demand preservatives and carcinogens with my hyper-sweetened breakfasts.

Have yet to sink to the point of consuming breakfast things with the syrup on the inside, but who knows my limits ... ;)

Edit: The woman says that Starbucks says that maple syrup is made from six kinds of trees. She doesn't "buy it."

Now this thread is moving.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Pure Canadian maple syrup is really the only kind worth eating. I was told by one of my Canadian relatives that in Vermont they put brown sugar in the syrup. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea...

5. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Oh man, there are so many different types and brands of real maple syrup that I don't really know the names of any. It may just be a low grade syrup that you bought (or high grade, some people are so used to the dark amber stuff that they think light amber maple syrup tastes funny:p ).
    Since there are so many brands that vary wherever you are, I say just find one that you like and stick with it.

Anyway, I say the best maple syrup is the stuff that my dad used to make back when we lived in New Hampshire. Amazing.:)

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I hear they also eat their babies. :p :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I get mine at Whole Foods or Trader Joes and buy the lightest grade they've got. Light Amber, Fancy, whatever you call it. They real light lovely tasty stuff that almost looks like water. Most of it seems to come from Canada, with the occasional bottle of Vermont syrup.

B

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It may have been funky. Real maple syrup has a limited shelf life :( At best it will simply go bland, at worst interesting things will grow in it :p

Trees :D Tap 'em if you've got 'em!

8. aquajet thread starter macrumors 68020

It is my understanding that it takes quite a bit of maple sap to process a small amount of syrup. That would be cool however!

I'm mostly familiar with stuff from Vermont and Pennsylvania, but I'll keep an eye out for Canadian stuff.

9. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Ooohhh! I love some Maple Syrup...if you like it that much you should buy a Maple Syrup smelling candle!!! I have one---I don't even have to light it. I just take the top off and it fills my whole apartment with the smell of pancakes!!! LOL:) Yum!

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

It's hard to find, but if you can find Minnesota maple syrup the stuff is absolutely delicious.

11. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I would since they are so extremely expensive (like liquid gold) I choose whatever is on sale at the time; even if it's a store brand.

12. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I thought they were graded in the U.S.? Fancy Grade is pure maple syrup, A is pancake syrup, C is corn syrup, etc.

Edit: My grades were a bit off. http://www.massmaple.org/grading.html

13. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

Oh Canada...Your relatives are absolutely right. As a confirmed maple leaf hugging, Roots wearing, 'eh?'-ing Canadian I loudly and defiantly proclaim that Canadian maple syrup is the best! There is NO other substitute!

(BTW, for those non-initiates, Roots is a clothing brand, not the tree members.)

14. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Canadian maple syrup IS the best. Nova Scotian is the best of the best. I am, however, biased. When I was a kid we tapped our own trees and had the best pancakes ever. Quebec syrup if you can't find the best...

15. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

You are correct. It really depends from year to year but the average from my grandparents tree is about 40 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup.

And really maple syrup will keep for quite a long time because on the VERY high sugar content. Since my grandparents make there own syrup we almost always have a lot...which is good!! The best way to keep syrup good is to put it in the freezer after it is opened. With my grandparents syrup the sugar content is so high that it never actually freezes it just turns into this really really thick syrup.

I guess the best place to get syrup from would be a local farm that makes it, as it really is the best.

16. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I find that anything organically produced usually tastes the best. There isa brand they sell at Costco here in Northern California that is really tasty, but I can't remember the name.

Anyway, go organic. It almost always tastes better.

17. sethypoo macrumors 68000

The Roots are also a hip-hop group. :D Just FYI.

18. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Golden syrup all the way! Once had maple syrup though from Marks and Spencers, it was alright. Very runny (compared to golden) but very stickey.

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yeah, I love golden syrup, but the maple syrup we get here is never thick enough. BTW, does anyone know anything we can do, I don't mind a bit of work...