Mapquest Offers Free Basic Turn-by-Turn GPS for iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 30, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MapQuest yesterday announced the launch of a major update to its MapQuest 4 Mobile GPS application for the iPhone, bringing basic turn-by-turn voice guidance and off-route assistance to the free application.
    The new update also adds the ability to double tap to zoom out on maps, as well as a new energy saving mode that dims the screen during voice guidance.

MapQuest also offers a more advanced subscription-based GPS navigation application, MapQuest Navigator, priced at $0.99 for the application and $29.99 per year for service. Shorter subscriptions are also available.

Article Link: Mapquest Offers Free Basic Turn-by-Turn GPS for iPhone

2. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

:( Its not available in the UK, guess we will have to wait.

3. macrumors 6502a

I like the fact its free!

I'm not sure how well it will work though, since its so basic. I might try using it on my way home from work today. I've always wanted a turn by turn GPS app, but haven't been willing to pay the high prices that most of them are offered at.

4. macrumors member

it is ok but,

still needs internet to download maps. I got the Co-Pilot app when it was on sale for $19.99. All maps are local on the phone. no need for internet. maybe if Mapquest just added all the maps to the app, it might do well. still a step in the right direction.

5. macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Been waiting a 4 years for this.

Patience pays off

6. macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

whats the difference between this and the google maps app on the iphone, don't they do the same thing?

7. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Voice Directions, so you do not have to look at your iPhone so much while driving.

8. macrumors 6502

Everytime I have ever used MapQuest it has gotten me lost, trying to send me through roads that do not exist.

9. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I think the iPad is going to be great for maps and directions. No more squinting or repeatedly zooming in and out to get your bearings. Voice directions don't depend on screen size, of course, but chances are that you'll both look and listen.

10. macrumors newbie

You get what you pay for!

Voice is choppy and of poor quality. Application crashed twice in 15 minutes of use. Could not find basic searches in my location. No interface with contact list. I have already deleted this App.

11. macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

got it thanks! might be useful then:)

12. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I don't particularly like the idea of people pinching and zooming while driving - but I guess it would be easier and quicker on a larger screen if people are going to do it.

13. macrumors 6502a

Friscohoya

Sweeeeeeet!

I still prefer google maps. Maybe thats cause I havent used anything else.

14. macrumors regular

I'm very good with directions, so Google Maps functions nicely for me, just to fill in the blanks if I've never been to a place before.

Otherwise, how does this compare to the Motion-X GPS App? I have it, though I don't use it very often because its pretty darn slow on my iPhone 3G. Well, almost everything is really slow on my iPhone. :(

15. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I don't use the iPhone while driving (you can tell because I'm still here and not in a ditch on the side of the road).

But when I drive with other people, one of us drives and the other navigates and the iPhone screen is a bit too small for best efficiency. An iPad would be better.

16. macrumors newbie

I used it yesterday after it came out--worked just fine for me here in Chicago. It doesn't have many extra features, but it's excellent for a free app.

17. macrumors 6502a

4 years? Hasn't the iPhone only been out around 3?

18. macrumors 68000

MotionX gps drive for $2.99? You only pay more if you want live voice and you can pay that by the month for $3 when you need it. You probably won't need it. The $2.99 version does have a couple hold outs. The voice and you have to advance the turn by turn yourself. Which I've found really isn't that big of a deal. Neither is the lack of voice. It will play your itunes while you use it too.

19. macrumors 68000

Not yet.

20. macrumors regular

Does it rotate with the direction you are driving on top on the iPhone 3G? Google Maps doesn't. I think only on the 3GS

21. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That would be because the 3G has no magnetometer to serve as a compass, so this would be impossible on the 3G.

But to answer your question the Mapquest app doesn't rotate on the 3G or 3GS.

22. macrumors 6502a

Which is one of many reasons why I love my Droid. It has a built-in mag.

23. fr0
    macrumors member

This should be a nice little temporary solution until Google Maps is updated with turn-by-turn. I'm hoping we'll see that by June/July. Especially since El-Jobso was seen making nice with his buddy at Google.

24. macrumors newbie

It (the iPad) might be great at displaying maps (if you get the 3G version) or showing a list of directions...but without GPS, it won't be much different than a paper map or a printout of directions.

25. macrumors newbie

No it wouldn't. All GPS' do this. It just takes 2 seconds to figure what direction you're moving in. No compass needed.