maps.google.com

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Google has a new mapping system: maps.google.com.

Some of its features:
    It requires that JavaScript be enabled and is known to work with Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape for Mac/Linux/Windows, and with Internet Explorer for Windows, but not yet with Safari. They say "We are working on supporting Safari."

It is a beta version and you can't yet save locations.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I like it! I do like how Google manage to think of what users would find easiest. I can't remember how many times I've tried to rejig an online map to get the information I want on the screen to capture.

Here's hoping it beta's quickly and we soon get a Euro version

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sweet, finally i can stop going to mapquest, they just need to support safari, but google does tend to be pretty good about safari support so hopefully by the time this is out of beta we will get some support, i wonder if it will run in firefox for mac

edit: ah so it does support the mac version of firefox.....

edit 2: i figured id ask here rather than start a whole new thread: anyone know how to import your bookmarks from safari over to firefox? i select the import option from the file menu, but it does not give me any choices

5. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

6. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

You might have to go through Camino to do it:

1) Use Camino to import the safari bookmarks
    2) Re-export the Camino bookmarks in HTML format
    3) Import the HTML bookmarks into firefox

At least that's my best guess. There might be an easier way, but Safari stores its bookmarks in plist format so odds are Firefox will never recognize them.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

cool, thanks for the tip, i will give that a try tonight

8. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I scrolled east and west from North America and there was nothing else there. Tectonic plate movement is one thing, but we Americans (in the more general use of the word) seem have the only continent left on the planet.

The rival information services are trying their best to cover the U.S., and then the world, with everything you need to know to find a pizza when you need one. From localized searches to driving maps to photos of the business storefronts, there will soon be no reason to ever leave the house unless you want to actually touch/smell/taste before you buy. And they'll probably be adding those capabilities next.

(PlaceofDis: New threads are free. Next time, please start one in the Software Discussion and Help forum, even for little side questions. That way, others who know the answer or have the same question are more likely to find it.)

9. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I love it when google or apple opens a can of whoopass on some industry. Truely one of the great companies of our time.

10. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

11. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Its now saying Safari isn't working

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I suggested this to my wife because she uses Mapquest a lot for work to find patient homes. She also uses firefox, so I suggested this service of Google to her. She said that she doesn't like it at all. For example it doesn't indicate when there is a one way street.

13. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Nice ..... I am sure you have to be a broadband user for this, but fun anyway!

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Don't need broadband like the previous post suggested, and it works great in Firefox! Looks like I can say goodbye to Mapquest...

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The good Doctor said that in the first post...but I'm sure they'll get around to it. I tried it in Firefox, and it's 10x better than Mapquest.

It sure as hell moves around better than Mapquest. I asked for pizza in my town, and it found me all the restaurants. I asked for driving directions from my son's house to mine, and it worked perfectly.

Suh-weeet!!

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Hmm, what about it is so special that it runs on those other browsers but not Safari?

17. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I just downloaded Google's Picasa2 picture organizer on the weekend. It really is excellent. It will find pictures on your hard drive that you didn't even know existed, or had misfiled.

The only two downsides to it that I can see are that it finds the static pics in your game programs, but at least Google shows you the location so you can decide whether you want to move it, delete it, or just remove it from Picasa (i.e. leave it as is). The only other negative about it is that it hasn't been ported to the Mac......yet.

Hopefully Google will bring out a Mac version shortly :)

18. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

See my previous post. Google's Picasa is sure to make the next version of iPhoto pretty awesome :)

19. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

yeah blows mapquest out of the water. This thing rocks. :cool:

20. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I did my senior project (undergrad) on using SVG for web maps and on the shortcomings of static raster maps like Mapquest. SVG (an open XML-based vector format similar to Flash) could really enhance these maps and create a lot of interesting possibilities, but sadly it probably won't since people are not willing to download a plugin just to use a mapping service. It's sad how so many people are satisfied with Mapquest when the technology is there to really blow it away. If you want to use an OS analogy, Mapquest is the Windows 1.0 of web maps. Google Maps looks like the Windows 3.1. SVG is the NeXTSTEP - great, but it won't catch on.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, we're exceptions, I'm sure, but I have never been happy with Mapquest. Aside from the fact that "scrolling" the map means clicking an arrow, waiting (even on a high-speed connection), and then watching the map lurch to one side, their directions were unreliable.

That same set of directions I mentioned earlier, from my son's house to mine? It's pretty much a straight line, from my house down the street to his. The first time I tested Mapquest, it told me to go the other direction, get on the highway, drive south to the next town, circle back to the nearest State Route, and head back to our town. A fifteen mile or so trip, to a house that's two miles away. :p

22. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You don't need to go into Camino. Just enable the Debug menu in Safari and export the bookmarks, then import into Firefox.

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sweet, i hadnt gotten around to that yet, thanks Word

24. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Hmm, I could have sworn the last time I did that it exported a plist! Must be my bad memory.

25. Baron58 macrumors 6502

This explains it.