Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
When I am sitting at home and I press the button from within maps to show my current location, it shows me as being about 10 miles from where I am sitting. The attached pic IS NOT where I reside! This seems to have started when I updated to 3.0 by the way.

Also, this same location shows up when I try the FIND MY IPHONE from within the MobileMe app.

Anyway to correct this?

Attachments

• IMG_6001.PNG
    IMG_6001.PNG
    293 KB · Views: 152

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
same here it shows me that am 2 or 3 blocks away...before i upgraded to 3.0.1 everything was fine ...now my phone is ruined...no gps ,the timestamps i have in my email are wrong the timestamps in im tweetie app is wrong even in the facebook app the timestamp is wrong ....i should of never upgraded to 3.0.1
ive upgraded from 2.0 to 3.0 and never a had any of these problems..now with 3.0.1 its multiple problems in one...im very fustrated!!

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
try driving around for a while with google maps open. When i first got my 3g it kept saying i was in Sydney when I was in Perth so i kept driving with it open and eventually it corrected it self.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
try driving around for a while with google maps open. When i first got my 3g it kept saying i was in Sydney when I was in Perth so i kept driving with it open and eventually it corrected it self.

ive tried that already i even left it on the balconie for 30 min still nothing ....

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida

How long did you leave maps open for it to correct itself?

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Anyway to correct this?
If you really are using the 1st-gen iPhone (I'm guessing this from your sig), probably not. The 1st-gen iPhone can only use cell tower triangulation and wifi locating to determine your position. If your location is off, I'd guess that you're running into one or more of the following:
  • Not enough cell towers "visible".
  • Cell towers from "far away" are "visible".
  • Your local wifi is not in the wifi database.

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
If you really are using the 1st-gen iPhone (I'm guessing this from your sig), probably not. The 1st-gen iPhone can only use cell tower triangulation and wifi locating to determine your position. If your location is off, I'd guess that you're running into one or more of the following:
  • Not enough cell towers "visible".
  • Cell towers from "far away" are "visible".
  • Your local wifi is not in the wifi database.

Yes, I am still using the 1G iPhone. BUT, that will all change come June, finally taking the plunge and upgrading...:)

Thanks for the explanation, I am sure one of those is causing my problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.