1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Maps!!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by unlimitedx, Jun 11, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Man the new maps looking really good, and with turn by turn navi AND crowd sourcing. Looks like waze will replace waze for me

2. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Will it work on the iPhone 4?

3. macrumors 6502a

Most likely. We will see!

4. macrumors 65816

What exactly will the new maps crowd source?

5. macrumors 601

OneMike

sure will. 3gs and up. that is nice

6. macrumors 68000

1080p

No... iOS6 is on 3GS and up. Navigation is Siri integrated... I'd bet on 4S and up for navigation.

7. macrumors regular

Also will work on the new Ipad as well most likely but not Ipad 1 or 2. We'll see soon.

8. macrumors member

That is my question too. Turn by Turn navigation seems to be SIRI based. What about older devices that don't have SIRI? Also, does the system-wide dictation feature only work on newer devices (New iPad, iPhone 4s+)?

I'm a bit disappointed that they dropped support for a 2 year old, $800+ device (iPad 1).

9. macrumors 6502a

Looks like the voice turn by turn is for iPhone 4s and the new iPhone because of siri. So those who have IP4 are not getting it. Figures.

----------

You and me both, especially since the hardware will run it. All about the $$$ aint it!

10. macrumors 65816

And all viewed over your puny 3.5" screen!! :D

11. macrumors P6

dukebound85

how do you know that? i saw no idication that that was the case

12. Contributor

AndyK

Since there was no Siri announcement for older models, I'd assume it's 4s and above to get more pre orders on the iPhone 5.

13. macrumors 6502

I think there will still be voice read-outs on the iPhone 4, just not speaking to the maps and askin for directions by voice.

14. macrumors 601

If it's not on the old devices it won't be because of Siri.

They wouldn't make a core feature dependent on voice control.

15. macrumors member

Maps look really cool isn't it the old armys missile tracker.

16. macrumors 65816

Did Apple mention the source of maps data? It's going to suck (in the US) if they're using openstreetmap.

Also, it would be nice if the maps were accessible from a web browser, even for icloud-only users.

17. macrumors 6502

Taken from the small print on Apple's site:
    Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply.

18. macrumors 603

nfl46

Its looks wayyyyyy better than those screenshots we saw a few days ago. I figured that wouldn't be the final look.

GREAT JOB, Apple.

Maps on that new 4" iPhone is going to be sweeeeet.

19. macrumors member

Noooooo. I'm going to have to go get a 4s now :(