Marathon Running Survey

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by UKnjb, Apr 23, 2006.

1. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

The London Marathon is on the go right now. There are brief references/posts on running marathons from MR members from my search, but no complete breakdown. I've only ever run one - Paris - and it was the nastiest exercise experience I've ever done - Ugh.

So. So could you post your experiences?

Venue
    Year run
    Time taken

And I shall compile everything and post the results!

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The London Marathon just sneaks up on me.

Well now I'm training for them. I've started running a lot recently and I'm being trained by my parents. Both were marathon runners, my dad was ripe for the Ironman and ultra-marathons till his knees gave in :( so yea. In training :)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^You run, but do you run that far for training? I run regularly (ie: every 2-3 days, including today), and I generally run between 7 to 10 km (which is like 4-6 miles) on those days, no more, and no less. Even if I could run further, it would take up too much of my time.

And while I do run, if I tried to run a marathon.....all 42 km..... I'd probably die.

Anyway, where's iGary? I'm sure he's got a much more relevent answer. :eek:

4. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

When I was 30 I ran my first marathon
    Male
    Pittsburgh - very hilly
    Time was 3 hrs, 33 min
    all on an anterior stress fracture!

I haven't had time to train for any more but I still run a lot. I wont run another until I can train to qualify for Boston, which is around 3:10 for my age group.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

I've run 13.

Marine Corps 2002
    Chicago 2003
    NYC 2003
    Philly 2003
    LA 2004
    San Diego 2004
    Big Sur 2004
    Delaware 2004
    Chicago 2004
    NYC 2004
    Philly 2004
    Big Sur 2005
    Delaware 2005

Best time was 4:28 in Philadelphia, 2004.

Ran my last about a year ago in Delaware where I blew out two discs.

I'm 36

6. calculus Guest

calculus

My best performance in one day is two marathons, a bounty and a twix.

7. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I've run the Lincoln, Nebraska Half-Marthon twice (age 16 & 17). My best time is 1:29:20. I'd love to run a full marathon someday when I have the time to train for it.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I've run four. PR: 3:29 in Huntsville (had to stop to pee) :D. There are lots of books on marathon training, and lots of practical schedules and workouts. On my PR I trained over a four month period averaging 60 miles a week. One long run a week (2 hours) for 8 weeks prior is pretty needful. Adding interval training can be a make or break regimen and should only be built in to an already good base of conditioning.

9. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

I agree with the training plans. I used Hal Higdon (modified). The key for me was the long slow runs on weekends. It taught me how to eat and drink on the run.

I haven't done regular interval runs but my friend who broke the 3 hour mark swears by them. But as above, it should be for getting to a PR - not if you just want to finish.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

I train with the Galloway method - just type in Galloway and marathon into Google.

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm currently in training for a half marathon that takes place at the end of June. I've never done this distance, with my previous maximum being about 7 miles, so it should be an interesting trip. It's in the Chicago area, and I hope to do under 2 hours, but we'll see. I'm using Hal Higdon.

Depending on how it goes, I may decide to do a full marathon, but the training regimen for that seems too time consuming for a father of 2 (soon to be 3).

Maybe when I'm older. I'm 36 right now. I guy I work with just ran Boston in 3:01. He's 49 and has only been running for 3 years, so I have high hopes for myself later in life.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm shooting for Big Sur next spring. Hopefully I can get my back sorted and back into shape in that time. :eek:

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

Well, the event is next Saturday - I can't wait. Mainly because I just want to get it over with ;)

In any case, ran 10.5 miles this morning and it felt good. I just hope it isn't so hot and humid next week here in Chicago, or this thing will be a bitch - it doesn't start until 8am!

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Lots of fluid the day before - LOTS.

I find a pizza is better for carbs as the cheese helps to err...bind things up so you don't have unexpected urges during the race.

Good luck, EMW

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

Thanks, Gary!

16. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I ran two half marathons, one in 1994 and one in 1995. My times were 2:19 and 2:01. I ran (mostly jogged) for 1 1/2 hour 3 times a week the two months before, and just did half-hour jogs 3 times a week during the winters. Very unscientific. :eek:

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Best of luck, emw. What kind of time/pace are you shooting for? Just avoid the classic too fast of a start and you should do fine. Hope you enjoy yourself and the event. Looks like low 60°s to mid 70°'s for that weekend in Chicago.

Attached Files:

18. emw macrumors G4

emw

If I can do about 8:30 - 8:45 miles, I'll be happy. I'm not speedy. :eek:

And the weather looks good - thanks!

19. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

If you recently ran a 10K in SF (was it?), you just might surprise yourself once you settle in to the run. Flat? 1:40ish. Hills? Another story. :) Let us know how it goes.

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Just saw this, Ann. Have you kept it up since then, running I mean? A pretty bad case of hepatitis shut me down after about 15 years of daily runs. It's been very hard to get back, since then. Just curious if you've kept going.

Ooops. Sorry, I didn't notice I posted back to back. Spam.....

21. emw macrumors G4

emw

I ran my 10-mile prep run last week in 1:20, so I had high hopes of knocking out the half-marathon in about 1:45 - 1:50. That is, until I woke up Friday with a nasty cold that has carried into today. :(

Word to the wise - never run sick. Anyway, I still waddled in at 2:01, so I guess I should be happy.

Of course now, despite the way I feel, I'm glad I did it and I'm looking forward to trying another one when I'm fully healthy.

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

You've probably been so intense with juggling work and running schedules and, if you are (my guess) like many runners - goal/task oriented, driven, proactive/seize the day and all that stuff - you've most likely neglected a key aspect of training. REST. Hope you're able to get some and get your batteries recharged. Running @9 min. pace, sick, still speaks well of how good of shape you're in. You'll see better days and times.