Marathon with a mouse...

Discussion in 'Games' started by AP_piano295, Jan 29, 2006.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    I just downloaded the tree Marathon games (free now) but the mice barely seem to work with the game its impossibly jerky and awful to play with. Whats wrong with the mouse in this game. (both trackpad and optical dont work)
  2. sidescroller macrumors newbie

Jan 29, 2006
    Same exact problem...

I got the free Marathon downloads as well, and I know exactly what you're talking about. From my experience, there is no way to fix this problem, as it seems to be a incompatability with current mouse drivers.

I vaguely remember there being a final update to Marathon way-back-when that completely destroyed mouse support. It was so bad, they un-patched it. I guess Marathon just doesn't play nice with mice. :(

However, I highly suggest that, if you desire to play Marathon (especially if it's your first time), you take a look at the AlephOne project (google it). It's an open-source Marathon "enhancer" that doesn't alter the graphics, sound, or story structure of the game in any way (so it's still "pure"), but it does give the game some much needed updates, including (drumroll) enhanced mouse accuracy, faster rendering, native OS X support (I think), and even online multiplayer. Besides mouse support, it also gets rid of that stupid UI that takes up a quarter of the screen and only works in 800x600 resolution. The program still requires the original Marathon files, so don't delete them.

The only bummer with the A1 program is that it isn't compatable with the first Marathon, just 2 and infinity. However, there is a adaptation of Marathon called M1A1 that simply allows you play Marathon with AlephOne.

Overall, the process in getting it all to work is a little tricky, and I remember M1A1 being pretty tricky to get working (I think it requires you copy and paste some Infinity files over to the folder), but, trust me, it's worth it. Not only did it make the game more presentable, it made it much more fluid, and, most importantly, more fun to play!
  3. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    thx ill give it a try. Ive played marathon once years and years ago (friend of mine had it) and I loved the game sooooo much it was just amazing and the game holds up against modern games, ive only ever seen a very few games that have truly held up across the ages.