Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

marchmadnessapp-150x150.jpg

A few weeks ago, we wrote about the iOS app for this year's March Madness tournament. The app, which gives access to live game audio and video streams for all 67 games in the tournament, is now available for download. [Direct Link]

Mac users will be able to watch all the CBS-broadcast games for free on CBSSports.com. Games aired on TBS, TNT and TruTV will be available to authenticated watchers of certain pay-tv providers.

For iPad and iPhone viewers, everyone will be required to make a $3.99 in-app purchase to watch all 67 games via Wi-Fi or 3G. That fee covers all devices as well, so paying customers watching games on their Macs won't have to worry about authentication.

marchmadnessscreen.jpg

The NCAA March Madness app is free for iPhone and iPad, plus the $3.99 in-app purchase to actually watch the games [Direct Link]. The Big Dance begins March 13.

Article Link: March Madness App for iPhone and iPad is Live

BigStorm15

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Why can't I get this app?

This is my first post so please be nice!

I have been waiting for this app to go live, and now I can't seem to access it. All the direct links get to the app store but then it's unavailable, is this because I live in the uk! And you have to pay sky to watch anything?

Please help

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
BOOOO! This app was 100% free last year and couldn't wait to use it again this year :mad:

That implies you won't be using it this year because of the in-app purchase? I don't want to sound rude, but if you think $3.99 is too much to get the any game in the tournament on your mobile device, you're nuts! I'll arrange my schedule as I do every year so I can catch most of the games I want in the comfort of my own home on my 55" LCD. However, even if I only need the app to catch 1 game I'll consider $3.99 a bargain. It's the price of a single HD movie rental (or less, depending on where you rent).

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
As a life long Kentucky basketball fan, I'd rather pay $50 than type that obscene code into my phone. ;)

haha, I'm not exactly a Tarheel fan, but it worked for me. Yours might be 0Kentucky ? I'm not sure though.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I don't want to sound rude, but if you think $3.99 is too much to get the any game in the tournament on your mobile device, you're nuts!

No way. A $3.99 convenience charge is BS. It's free online, for crying out loud! I contacted the "Suggestion" tab to give them my opinion and got a reply back from Turner. Seems they have take over the app from CBS and they feel it's they're duty to charge the viewers for the app to keep inline with their TV Everywhere strategy. If you're not familiar with TV Everywhere, Google it and see how cable companies are colluding to keep you coughing up cash. It's sickening.

Don't pay to play. They'll screw you even more next year if you bend over this year. Check the reviews. The app wasn't any good last year, either. I guarantee it fails at a crucial moment just like it did before. Let's see how good of a deal it'll be at that point.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
No way. A $3.99 convenience charge is BS. It's free online, for crying out loud! I contacted the "Suggestion" tab to give them my opinion and got a reply back from Turner. Seems they have take over the app from CBS and they feel it's they're duty to charge the viewers for the app to keep inline with their TV Everywhere strategy. If you're not familiar with TV Everywhere, Google it and see how cable companies are colluding to keep you coughing up cash. It's sickening.

Don't pay to play. They'll screw you even more next year if you bend over this year. Check the reviews. The app wasn't any good last year, either. I guarantee it fails at a crucial moment just like it did before. Let's see how good of a deal it'll be at that point.

It's not free online. Only the CBS games are.

P-Worm

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
It's not free online. Only the CBS games are.

P-Worm

All CBS games will be free and all Turner games will be free online if you have TV Everywhere login credentials. Anybody who subscribes to cable should have those credentials. So most people will be able to watch online without any additional charges.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
All CBS games will be free and all Turner games will be free online if you have TV Everywhere login credentials. Anybody who subscribes to cable should have those credentials. So most people will be able to watch online without any additional charges.

I don't have cable and so I gladly payed the $4. Seriously, $4 for every game is dirt cheap.

P-Worm

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I don't have cable and so I gladly payed the $4. Seriously, $4 for every game is dirt cheap.

P-Worm

So next year, $9.99 will be OK? $14.99? $19.99? Where do you draw the line with what constitutes a good deal. Free was a good deal. Look at the ad branding in the app, they're not limiting commercials either. Look at Turner's other sports apps. They're free, too. So what are you paying for, just an additional profit?

It's ridiculous and unless the masses sit this one out, we're gonna see paid apps for every sporting event, every year. The principles at stake here are huge! Don't believe me, just wait and see. The $4 is trivial, but the implications are astronomical.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
So next year, $9.99 will be OK? $14.99? $19.99? Where do you draw the line with what constitutes a good deal. Free was a good deal. Look at the ad branding in the app, they're not limiting commercials either. Look at Turner's other sports apps. They're free, too. So what are you paying for, just an additional profit?

It's ridiculous and unless the masses sit this one out, we're gonna see paid apps for every sporting event, every year. The principles at stake here are huge! Don't believe me, just wait and see. The $4 is trivial, but the implications are astronomical.

I would pay up to $15.

P-Worm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.