Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Syracuse won't die as they are one win away from the Big East Championship,

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
cycocelica said:
I will just say this now, Gonzaga should not be a #1 seed. I love them but they barely beat USD and LMU.
And they lost to Memphis. I think the 4 top seeds will be U Conn, Villanova, Duke and Memphis. Although Memphis (30-3) lost last week to UAB, away, they've beaten them 2/3 this year, winning today's Conf. USA Tournament. Memphis' three losses this year were to Duke, Texas and UAB.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
went to the ACC games last night. As proud as I am of my 'Heels, they didn't impress me last night.

When the Heels are hot, look out, but you can say that about so many teams. Duke is struggling, I wonder if they will make it to the sweet 16!

Good luck everyone, and pray that your team doesn't play UNC on a hot night.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
stubeeef said:
Good luck everyone, and pray that your team doesn't play UNC on a hot night.

I pray for quite the opposite ... I mean after last season ... we're 1-0 against this new UNC and nothing (except a national championship) would make me happier than knocking them out of this year's tourney with all the hype that been building as of late.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Syracuse wins the Big East Turney so how many teams will the Big East get, I say 9.

itgoesbuzz

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2005
royal oak, mi
Georgetown baby, love the Hoyas, hopefully they can bounce back from that horrible shooting display during that loss to the Orangemen.

Michigan State seems to come up big in the tourney when no one expects it but they have been shaky this year, at best.

Will Michigan sneak in? They tanked it the last 10 games (7 or 8 losses) will the committee give them the invite?

Buckeyes, might land themselves a #1 seed, impressive run they have had.

Im liking 'Nova for the championship

because Ray will come back with a vengence.

jkballer23

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
congrats to syracuse. mcnamara is the man, and not overrated. What fools who said that. Anyway, Duke is playing tomorrow against BC. Going to watch that most definitely. Hope Duke wins. I'm a Duke fan.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
emw said:
I'd love to see another MR NCAA pool this year, like last year. I can look into setting it up, unless Kwyjibo wants to take it again.

EMW - you can make it so long as we have those special bonus points for everybody that correctly picks an illinois win :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I see seven solid bids for the Big East...Syracuse, Villanova, UConn, West Virginia, Pitt, Marquette, and Georgetown. Cincinnati is squarely on the bubble, but has a good chance at getting in, especially since their first round Big East tournament loss to Syracuse doesn't look too bad now. Seton Hall should be the only other team being mentioned, but I don't think they'll get a bid.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I am hoping for a #3 or #2 seed for the Heels in the Big Dance. Should make the sweet 16!

Look out cause the incoming freshman and the existing over-achievers will make 2007 UNC's best year in a long time (well maybe!) as we re-ignite the DYNASTY!

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
UNC will be a power house in the coming year. Everyone thought they would be nothing with their freshman but they have proven that they do not need a rebuilding year. They are going to be amazing.

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
carolina...

i had no idea i was surrounded by fellow alumni & fans
:)

i'm not die hard-
but i'm interested enough to browse a forum like this--

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Kwyjibo said:
EMW - you can make it so long as we have those special bonus points for everybody that correctly picks an illinois win :)
Okay - I'll work on that this week after the bids are out.

Just keep in mind - I won't be able to add much to the banter this year as I'll be out the entire first weekend and 1/2 the second weekend in Hawaii for my 10th anniversary. Somehow I doubt I'll be hanging here too much... :D

I just hope Illinois is still in it when I get back. They've shown flashes of brilliance, but if they play like they did against Mich State on Friday, they'll be lucky to make it to the second weekend.

Especially if they have to play Syracuse - talk about getting hot at the right time!

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I'm pretty dissapointed in the selection process.

Syracuse deserved an 7-8 ... 5 is ridiculous
Kansas deserved a 5 or below ... apparently you can lose all your games early on but as long as you finish strong ...?
UNC - #3 is pretty high ... but not all together wrong ... I was expecting 3/4 there but I would have respected the three a bit more if they had gone a bit deeper.
Tenn - #2 - come on #6 RPI I guess BUT they lost tons of steam late in the season ridiuclous! They lost to SC in that tourney!
Michigan State - if this was any other team that fell off they would be " just inside of the bubble" with a much much lower seed like 9.
UCLA - pac 10 sucks! come on.

and of course I think Illinois got screwed a little bit ... #4 is an insult. we fell out of our conference tournament but that was our third time playing MSU and we finally lost ... should have been partially ignored due to a high RPI.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
a couple of f-ups by the selection committee...

MVC gets 4. ACC gets 4. what?

UCLA and Tennessee are NOT 2 seeds.

Cincinatti doesn't get in, but Seton Hall does?

Pitt goes to big east final, gets a 5 seed? last i checked, they had a top 10 RPI.

still, big east showed what's up this year. 8 teams in. new record.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
trebblekicked said:
Pitt goes to big east final, gets a 5 seed? last i checked, they had a top 10 RPI.

yeah and syracuse got a 5 too ... UNRANKED BUBBLECUSE

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Kwyjibo said:
yeah and syracuse got a 5 too ... UNRANKED BUBBLECUSE
The fact that Syracuse beat up on Uconn helped their case not to mention win the whole Big East.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
MacRumors NCAA Tournament Challenge

All right, everyone, get your prognosticating hats on because the time has come for the 2006 MacRumors NCAA Tournament Challenge.

First, you'll need a Yahoo! ID to sign up. Once you have one of those, you should be able to go here:

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men and sign up to participate in the You Pick 'Em game.

The Group is MacRumors NCAA Challenge

The password is "n0pbg5", with a zero, not an "oh".

Now I f'd up and got my picks listed as "MacRumors NCAA Tournament" because I didn't know what the hell I was doing. The rest of you should probably set your pick name as your MR user name or something so we can more easily track it. Mine will be easy to see since it will be at the bottom.

If anyone has trouble, post or PM and I'll try to fix these instructions. Good luck to everyone! Don't forget to have your picks completed by tournament time (the play-in game doesn't count).

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Kwyjibo said:
I think Illinois got screwed a little bit ... #4 is an insult. we fell out of our conference tournament but that was our third time playing MSU and we finally lost ... should have been partially ignored due to a high RPI.
That equates roughly to a ranking between 13 and 16 overall, which I think is appropriate. They've played well in spurts, but have also had some pretty bad outings.

I think Iowa is a team to watch - they've really played well this year and just got done beating Ohio State.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
emw said:
All right, everyone, get your prognosticating hats on because the time has come for the 2006 MacRumors NCAA Tournament Challenge.

First, you'll need a Yahoo! ID to sign up. Once you have one of those, you should be able to go here:

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men and sign up to participate in the You Pick 'Em game.

The Group is MacRumors NCAA Challenge

The password is "n0pbg5", with a zero, not an "oh".

Now I f'd up and got my picks listed as "MacRumors NCAA Tournament" because I didn't know what the hell I was doing. The rest of you should probably set your pick name as your MR user name or something so we can more easily track it. Mine will be easy to see since it will be at the bottom.

If anyone has trouble, post or PM and I'll try to fix these instructions. Good luck to everyone! Don't forget to have your picks completed by tournament time (the play-in game doesn't count).

post us a group number

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
miloblithe said:
Could GW have gotten any more screwed? 8 seed playing an NC team in NC. Crap.

As a GW Alum I am L-I-V-I-D. Best record in the country, ranked #6 and all we get is a stinking 8 seed and basically a road game. Plus, if we survive that we get Duke in another road game. Disgraceful job by the tourney committee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.