March Madness Comes to iPad and iPhone March 7 for $3.99

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 16, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As it has in previous years, the NCAA division I men's basketball tournament -- also known as March Madness -- will be streamed both online and to iPhones and iPads. Unlike previous years, iPad and iPhone users will need to pay a $3.99 to watch the Big Dance. CBS and Turner are sharing the NCAA broadcast duties across four television stations. Here's how it breaks down:

Mac users will be able to watch all the CBS-broadcast games for free on CBSSports.com. Games aired on TBS, TNT and TruTV will be available to authenticated watchers of certain pay-tv providers.

For iPad and iPhone viewers, everyone will be required to pay a $3.99 fee to watch the entire tournament. That fee covers all devices, so no mucking about with authentication to watch tournament games on the Mac. Once the fee is paid, all 67 games will be streamable on iOS via Wi-Fi or 3G.

[​IMG]

The NCAA March Madness apps for iPhone and iPad will go live on March 7, in time for the tournament to begin on March 13. Sign up on the NCAA's March Madness website to be notified when the apps go live.

Article Link: March Madness Comes to iPad and iPhone March 7 for $3.99

2. macrumors 601

Tilpots

3. macrumors member

Dude you would be paying $.06 a game, how is that not a deal

4. macrumors 601

Tilpots

It's been free for the past few years. There's going to be ads all over it. The quality over 3G is so-so. It expires after one month. Zero new features worth $4.

5. Contributing Editor

jlgolson

I think being able to watch the 67 games of the 2012 tournament qualifies as a "new feature", and a ton of people are going to pay it.

Reminds me of this... http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

6. macrumors member

Gatecitybee

Last year it was great on the iPad. $4 isn't very much at all for what you're getting.

7. macrumors regular

People not willing to pay $4 for 67 games is whats wrong with media today. You expect everything to be free or your will steal it. The funny thing is you have no problem paying $4.25 for a non-fat mocha cappuccino.
    I have no issue with the $4, I just think this will be a test to eventually charge $19.95 in the coming years.

8. macrumors 6502a

Right 4 dollars is so very little if you actually like watching the games. TV shows cost a solid amount more per episode and are, in general, shorter than a basketball game and NOT LIVE.

9. macrumors 601

Moyank24

$4 is more than worth it for me...I work nights - so I'm psyched to be able to watch them on my phone.

For those who think $4 is too much $$ - :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 601

Tilpots

Funny cartoon, but not quite the same. Last year, every game was free. The year before, every game was free. This year on the Mac, every game is free. So... Let's get a million to pay $4 bucks and make $4 million because of the device I watch it on? No thanks. If $4 bucks is worth it to you, great. Pay up. I'll just watch it for free on my computer. If mobile is your only way to see the games, aren't you pissed theyre bending you over?

How many of you subscribe to Murdoch's sites when you can get the same free, elsewhere? Right. Pay walls don't work when contents readily available for free. If youre comfortable being nicked and dimmed today, you're gonna get crushed tomorrow.

11. macrumors 603

nfl46

This will look great on my IPAD 3! Just in time! :D

12. macrumors regular

It's not really free on the computer.

No. $4 is not "bending anyone over." I pay one dollar less to watch one single episode of my favorite show on iTunes while I'm on a plane. I'll pay $4 to watch 64 games of LIVE basketball. People are willing to pay nominal fees for convenience. If your so against paying for convenience why don't you ditch your cable for rabbit ears and high speed internet for dial-up and just go watch the games at the bars instead. Give me a break.

13. macrumors 601

Tilpots

I haven't had cable for 2 years. Me and Mac Mini HTPC get along swimmingly. :)

14. macrumors member

On your Mac the games aren't exactly free. You'll have to log-in with your cable/ satellite provider credentials. Again, not exactly free.

$4 is pretty much a steal as it is my understanding you won't have to be a subscriber to any of the cable channels airing the games. If the app has Airplay and you can watch it via Apple TV then it has become a lot more interesting... albeit pretty interesting already.

15. macrumors 65816

Had it free the last couple of years and loved it.. Will pay this year, but not a fan of that

16. macrumors regular

This is what pisses me off. Charging me for watching it on one device vs another. Sure $4 is cheep for all the games, but they are completely free if I watch them on my PC. That makes no logical sense.

17. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this was actually a great deal! Im looking forward to watching bees in the ER with the Wi-Fi at the hospital

18. macrumors regular

19. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Yeah.....because it didn't cost them any money to develop the app for iOS.

20. macrumors 6502a

Honestly, it should be more than $4. Everyone saying it's a rip, this deal is a bargain. Those people who cannot watch the games at home because of work or because they don't have cable now have the chance in doing so for only.. $4.

I'm speechless. Why don't some of you give thanks to the people who make these apps? I'm sure they work for a living as well.

21. macrumors newbie

It was 4.99 in '09.... couldnt find my receipt from '10, but I am almost positive that it was about 5 bucks, so this is a reduction for me!

22. macrumors member

I am astounded by the fact that people don't want to pay $4 for an app. Fifteen... um, ten.... five years ago if I was told I could get quality software (the word apps wasn't really in our lexicon before the iPhone) for $10 I would've been floored, but for $1, $2, and even $4 I am in awe. There are times when a free app fits my needs, but I'll purchase the "pro" version to support the developer.

Really, in 2006 if someone said listen I can give you access to the entire NCAA Mens BB tourney for $4, I wouldn't have even hesitated and would've turned around and mouthed "sucker".

If $4 is not in your budget or you feel it's too expensive, enjoy watching the games on CBS, TBS, etc.

23. millertime021, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

macrumors 6502a

millertime021

$4?!?! What a bunch of horse ******.

*signs up to be notified when to purchase app*

And seriously, how else can you watch March Madness everywhere?!!

Photo was last year.

Attached Files:

24. macrumors 65816

Oh no, the tournament will start near the end of my billing period. If I hadn't hit 2 GB already by then, AT&T will throttle me for sure after streaming a couple of these games. :mad:

25. macrumors newbie

so once you get this 3.99 app, is there a way to send the video signal to a cinema display or any monitor?