march madness - who is your team?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Mar 11, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

every year a whole slew of schools go against each other to be the best in college basketball...i know...for most of you macheads...yawn, right?

well i root for california teams or for some reason connecticut or maryland

the schools i went to that had a basketball team were not division 1 so i have to root for somebody

but i went to sonoma state, which apparently made it up to division 2, so that's cool, but they have one of the sorrier division 2 records at 18-9 in their tournament

i don't know how a college which is not as big as some high schools is going to ever make it to division 1...well, not in my lifetime:p

2. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Well, I grew up in Eugene so I'm rooting for Oregon all the way. If they even make it, though - they're on the bubble now with only a 20-9 record and a 10-8 conference record :(

If Oregon gets eliminated then I just root for whatever Pac-10 teams are left.

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I root SEC. Bama is on the bubble, with a 7-9 conference record, but the SEC is the strongest conference this year. They have a great non-conference RPI at #5, and are 6-6 against RPI top 50. So they have played one of the toughest schedules in the country. They should get in, and have been playing very well as of late. If they dont' get in they will be the 1st team that was ranked #1 during the year that did not get into the tourney. :(

If they do get in, sweet 16 at best.

4. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

March Madness is a sale at J.C. Penny, is it not? I think i'm missing something.

5. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i didn't go to school there, but i grew up in pittsburgh, so the panthers are my team. i've followed them since the days of charles smith and jerome lane. i know their SOS was pretty weak, but they've got balance, depth, leadership and defense. all they need is free throw skills and it's new orleans here we come!

6. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    University Of Kentucky. UK is my team, but I was also hoping to see Lousiville go pretty deep into the tournament as well. They are now falling apart. Looks like the "chosen one" (Rick Pitino) has some more work to do. GO CATS!!!

7. bcsimac macrumors 6502

College basketball

For Division 1 men's, I like Duke.......I have a lot of respect for Coach K.....he is one great coach. However, I usually also like one underdog from the small mid-major schools.....usually the Zags of Gonzaga......unfortunately they lost their conference tournament championship and it is questionable if they get in despite a 23-5 record and a pretty decent RPI......they did have a few loses against a top 25 non-conference teams.....this is the part that makes it a little questionable as to whether they get in or not. Hopefully they will get an at-large bid since they have done so well in the tournament in the past and did have a pretty good record......23-5 is nothing to sneeze at.

Right now I think that Kansas if they will the big 12 tournament is a 1 seed....if they don't and Oklahoma or Texas wins then I think OU gets the 1 seed.....Texas has an outside chance of a 1 seed depending on the outcome of the big 12 tournament. I think Arizona is a 1 seed. Duke is questionable for a 1 seed after the lost to St Johns.......they would have to win the ACC tournament in pretty dominating fashion to get the 1 seed. Pitt will probably get a 2 seed if they win the big east tournament. Kentucky is a 1 seed as they probably will win the SEC tournament......I am taking Florida as a 2 seed. Maryland should be a 2 or 3 seed......depending on ACC tournament.

For Women's Division 1.......the team I like is Tennessee......Pat Summitt is a great coach and always seems to find a way to motivate her girls to the final 4 at least......last year they had a better record than Vanderbilt but lost the SEC tournament final to Vanderbilt and ended up a 2 seed with Vandy as 1 seed in the same bracket.....well Pat was not happy....and UT destroyed everybody in the tournament with the exception of U-Conn. This year UT loses to LSU in the SEC tournament final.......so I expect that UT will get a 2 seed again......and Pat will be fuming and rubbing her hands together to do some serious damage.....she doesn't like being a 2 seed!

U-Conn's lose last night was a shocker, but I still expect them to be tournament favorite and to be a 1 seed.......LSU will be another 1 seed. I am not sure on the rest of the girls......since I really only watch UT and U-Conn.

8. FatTony macrumors regular

Re: College basketball

If you define "coach" as motivator, then there is no better than coach K. If you define it as teacher, he stinks. The Duke Chronicle (Duke's student newspaper) has a good analysis, link. I agree with most of what they say.

Regardless of how you define the word coach, he wins games and championships. Whether it is at the expense of the young men who are entrusted to him or to their advantage is up for debate, I guess.

9. the_ron macrumors newbie

I'm rooting for a couple of teams this year. The one that I'm cheering for the most is Mizzou. My sister goes there and I think they got a really good chance of going deep into the tourney. The other team is Creigton. I want them to do good because a basketball player from my high school is going there next year which is a pretty neat thing because our school is small.

10. runningman macrumors regular

Would like to say the wildcats of arizona but they have a tendency to underacheive in the tournament. Illinois can be difficult depending who shows up that day to play. Duke is always tough, well coached etc. etc.
    You just have to wonder where the sleepers lie. Oregon looked tough tonight against USC and florida played poorly. Pitt looks tough.
    The interesting thing is the only team playing to their potential right now would be Duke. Arizona, Kansas, Texas, Florida all lost to teams they should have handled. But that's the great thing about march madness never know who's going to do it and the person who wins the pool usually knows the least.

11. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Re: march madness - who is your team?

How awesome was that Pac-10 tourney :D
    Oregon beat two California teams (UCLA and USC), but they both had losing records anyway. So I guess that leaves Cal and Stanford to carry the torch for Califorina.

So much for Oregon being on the bubble - now the only question is now high their seed will be. I'm glad they're getting national exposure - the two Lukes clearly have the best hair in college basketball :p I love those shaggy-headed bastards :)

12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Arizona

I dont follow that much BBall, but my sis got me this cool poster of the 2000-2001 Arizona WildCats. It has 6 of their starts, and there are 5 signatures. Number 22,8, 44, 2 and others.

13. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I would have to say that the Conference USA tourney was the best so far. UAB played off the hook! I was really hoping that they could pull it off against Louisville.

Still, great year Blazers, and Mike Anderson has shown that he deserves to be a head Div 1 coach.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Univ. of Kansas has always been my favourite, but since Boschee went away, it just doesn't seem quite right. Univ. of Florida would be my 2nd choice and they're doing okay but they always seem to mess it up in the crunch.

I'm on basic cable now, so I haven't seen many games this season. :(

15. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

16. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

17. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

Pitt lookin damn good

anyone catch the big east final? i listened on the radio, and was in oakland (near pitt's campus) when the game ended. there were some hooligans making asses of themselves but...
    anyway, the team looked great. if they can shoot like that from the free throw line, i think they can make it to the elite 8/final 4.

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Pitt lookin damn good

Only one problem with Pitt. Look at their strength of schedule. That is going to hurt them in the NCAA tourney. They really have not played anyone on the road. The one thing they have is great coaching. They only play 7 deep though, and against Zona, Kentucky, or someone like that, and they will get killed.

19. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

now that the 64 teams have been chosen for the division 1 ncaa, i will go with three teams relatively near me and one far away

arizona state
    university of arizona
    university of san diego

and for the non local team, university of maryland...i had a roomate in college in california who transferred from there and he liked maryland basketball

20. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

GO BEARS!!!

I normally don't follow college basketball, but I am a graduate of UC Berkeley. Anyhow, I know Cal has almost no chance of taking it all the way (we haven't won the Championship since 1959), but I'll still root for my team out of school loyalty. So . . . GO BEARS!!!

21. GiantXX5 macrumors newbie

P-I-T-T LETS GO PITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D Pitt all the way. Of course I say this becaue I'm a student at the University of Pittsburgh. Its a great time to go to school here. Last night after the game was awesome in Oakland, the place was going crazy. However, the team I'm worried about its Kentucky, especially because there in the Midwest with Pitt. Other than that I think that going to the final four is all up to our team.

22. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Re: P-I-T-T LETS GO PITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No way, man! You'll be playing Oregon for the Final Four berth!! We're takin' Kentucky DOWN!!!

Yeah right, just wishful thinking :p

23. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    Dyslexic Duke haters.. Untie!!! It is a long shot, but I am a Duke fan, so it is duke all the way for me. As for a prediction, ask me after the championship is over. Do windows people hate macs because they (macs) get the job done in ways that wintel machines can't even imagine, utilize intuitive and progressive thinking in order to excel at the task at hand, and look way cool doing it? Don't hate me, or my mac, or my team. At least two of us are awesome by design. GO DUKE!!

24. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

25. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: GO BEARS!!!

since the inception of the tourney, it's the only year cal won

and the reason cal will never win is because the team actually expects the players to be students at the same time, too

stanford won the dance in 1942 and they will never likely see another trophy again, but are somewhat more likely to since they are more of a basketball school than cal

but it's the dukes, kentuckys, indianas, and north carolinas who are the perennial favorites in the past couple of decades...as to whether the players are required, in a real sense, to perform as students...i can't comment on that

but cal is a hard school to survive in academically and most of my relatives and friends and neighbors went to cal and schooling is the main reason for going to berkeley, not playing hoops or burning flags and joining some leftist cult:p