"Marie Antoinette", WTF?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by suneohair, Oct 29, 2006.

1. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I saw it last night and wow. It was bad. I expected quite a bit from Copolla coming off of Lost in Translation.

The film had its good points, but overall it was quite lacking. The narrative and pace were quite weak. The portrayal of Antoinette seemed slightly off based on what I have read. Visually it was nice, I enjoyed the quick cuts to a static scene to break continuity. Very Ozuian. I found them quite refreshing coming from the drabness of the rest of the film.

And the end. Oh man. I am all for a swift open ending but this was just horrible. It was summed up nicely by a girl speaking to her friend when it ended.

"I have three words... WTF!" Classic. Zing!

Anyhow, has anyone else seen it? Impressions?

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I liked it.

It's werid that you liked Lost in Translation but not Marie Antoinette. They are very similar. Both don't have a traditional linear narrative; both of them focus on the cinematography.

I imagine it isn't going to do well in a wide release though, because it doesn't spoon feed a tired, overdone narrative to the audience.

3. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

it was a great movie. don't know what your talking about.

it was fun, deep and interesting

4. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Well, I enjoyed the film.

I enjoyed that we were entirely within Marie's world. A world ruled by court protocol. And that it was all contained within Versailles itself, similar what the actual Marie would have known and only known.

I did not watch it for its historical accuracy (it's a movie after all and it depends on who's version of her life you are going to believe) but for its themes of a woman brought into a foreign world and not accustom to a court that its only purpose is to serve her like a queen ant.

I hope you weren't swayed by that girl and her very unintelligent remark.

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Shows a different side to the entire Marie- Antoinette scenario besides the "let them eat cake" head chopped off view.

There are number of parts where you actually feel sorry for her and her pointless/hopeless circumstances.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I also liked it.

the scene where they were trying on shoes and eating sweets was something

7. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

did you see the blue converse shoes?

I think it was a good film, I just expected to be a little better overall, that could be because I have been waiting awhile to see it since I heard about a long time ago.

8. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Show me a Sophia Coppolla film that has strong narrative and pacing.

9. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

The Virgin Suicides

10. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Plus it was a book before, so she really can't be credited with whatever narrative The Virgin Suicides has.