Marijuana and our Government

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blueflame, Dec 5, 2003.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

Well, in recent times, i have been noticing all the Anti-Drug adds that the government is putting on tv. you know the ones, " baby falls ina pool, just tell your parents your getting high"
    Is it just me or does this seem like such blatent propaganda. I mean, i have no problem telling the truth about it, like the fact that it does contair tar, and the smoke still causes cancer, but they seem to be playing on people emotions with no real facts being portrayed, it instead seems like they are using scare tactics.
    This seems remenicient of the 1950's when they made movies like reefer madness.
    Now, i am not condoning the use of marijuana, but i would like our government not to be lieing to us, and having smoked before, i see it produce none of the horrible things that they seem to portray.
    Another thing, if the government is spending 400 billion dollars a year to fight just marijuana, wouldnt it be more economically viable to just save our taxpayer dollars, and make it a legal product, like alcohol, regulate it.
    not only will we save the 400 billion dollars, but imagine the amount of revenue we could make off of its sale.
    I bring this up for a point of discussion, so i hope all you well educated mac users will take this in the direction you see fit.
    thats my 2 cents
    thanks all
    Andreas

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My favorite is the ones that suggest that if you are buying pot you are supporting terrorism. Like pot comes from the middle east or columbia or something. Most of it is either grown domestically or comes from mexico or canada. Yet the same people that support those ads are offended that anyone would suggest the same thing about SUVs.:p

Remember during the '80's that famous ad that purported to show the brain waves of a normal kid, then one on pot? Turned out the one on pot was actually someone in a coma. The truth would be a refreshing change.

3. leet1 macrumors 6502

Re: Marijuana and our Government

You have not smoked the "good stuff"

It can mess you up like you wouldn't believe.

The ads I've seen, where the kid starts playing with the raft near the pool can happen when your high and babysitting.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Re: Re: Marijuana and our Government

It can also happen when you are stupid and babysitting, or drunk and babysitting, or on the phone and babysitting. Be careful drawing causal relationships without proof.

5. leet1 macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: Marijuana and our Government

Right, so you should not 1. smoke weed while babysitting 2. Drink 3. Be stupid

Nothing wrong with the ad, IMO

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Marijuana and our Government

You forgot talk on the phone while babysitting.

'Cuz we all know talking on the phone kill babies.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So I would also imagine you support the idea that driving cars, particularly gas guzzlers, causes terrorism right?

8. leet1 macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marijuana and our Government

Right, you should be paying attention to a baby if your babysitting it at all times....

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marijuana and our Government

But why do the ads not say that? Instead they say that smoking pot is the cause, not inattentive behavior.

10. leet1 macrumors 6502

Nope, just supports more polution.

11. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Greed, stupidity and shortsighted CMA.

Essentially.... there's no good reason NOT to legalize and regulate all narcotics and vice crimes.

The bad (and plentiful) reasons for the status quo have mainly to do with how nicely all this "crime" creates jobs, keeps a national privatized prison industry in the chips, funds a whopping number of federal agencies and projects, creates "moral" issues for politicians to "solve" and generally guarentees a nice, safe "us-and-them" attitude for exploitation at poll time.

The same effect can be seen in the Insurance, Medical, Legal and Worker's Compensation fields where protecting the budget for next year and legally covering your ass outweigh the importance of the real issues.

12. leet1 macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marijuana and our Government

Because pot leads to inattentive behavoir.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I mean, there really are enough bad things about using drugs that you don't have to make intellectually dishonest arguments to say they are bad. The gov't just uses scare tactics, which backfires once people realize they are being lied to.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marijuana and our Government

Bullflops. Show me some proof of that.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But we all know pollution leads to terrorism.

16. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Ignorance is an SUV.

In fact 90%+ of the funds for international, fundamentalist-Islamist terrorism is generated from Oil money via the Saudi royal family.

The Bin Laden family.

17. leet1 macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marijuana and our Government

Give me your address. I'll send you a dime sack, some potato chips, and a book. Then you can tell me how long you pay attention to that book :D lol

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marijuana and our Government

You'd be waiting a while. Unless you handed me an Ayn Rand book.:D

19. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marijuana and our Government

So do most prescription mood-stabilizers, Hystamine reactions, head colds, decent Pizzas and a really nice looking co-ed.

I can tell you from long experience that Pot smoking only exaggerates existing attentive patterns. It's still a matter of PRESENCE OF MIND. I've actually found (and I most certainly HAVE smoked "the good stuff") that Alcohol is worse for my presence of mind at an equivalent level of enibriation.

20. Dros macrumors 6502

Re: Marijuana and our Government

Let's see... the entire Department of Defense budget for 2004 is 358 billion dollars. You are saying the cost of chasing down stoners is 400 billion a year? I'm for legalizing, but maybe accountants shouldn't be allowed to partake if this is the result!

21. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

It's hard to draw a conclusion from my own personal experiences, since I've only ever known two really dedicated potheads.

One of them was an honors student taking two languages, and was getting grades I envied--mostly A's. I don't think I ever saw him when he wasn't high! And today he has a decent job and is doing pretty well. Don't know if he still gets high, but it didn't ruin him.

The other pothead of my acquaintance is an unemployed drifter who's been in and out of trouble with the law on a regular basis. He also now suffers from memory and personality problems not present before his marijuana use, and is incapable of holding a job or living on his own. About all I can say about him is that he made the best coffee I ever had, poor guy.

I can't say that pot particularly damaged the first of these two cases, but I can say that the second would have been better off without it (assuming he didn't just find some other drug to use to destroy himself with).

22. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i've only smoked once (in Amsterdam) and it sure can make you inattentive. that said, i don't think those ads are very good. it's quite stupid and really dumbs down the audience.

if you've done it before, the ad will look stupid because marijuana is no more harmful than many other things like talking on the phone, being drunk, etc. as far as babysitting is concerned - as an example. if you've never done it before and already thinks marijuana is absolutely the most evil thing on earth, then the ad just looks patronizing. it's not very informative either way.

having done it, i consider it another form of entertainment and i see why marijuana should not be legal if tobacco is. however, that doesn't mean marijuana should be legalized. i think tobacco should be made illegal, in my opinion.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Now THAT would cause some serious riots! And a huge black market for smokes too.

24. leet1 macrumors 6502

I think alcohol should be too<but you wouldn't see me vote for that until I get out of college >:p lol

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Maybe before you get out of college you'll learn what happened the last time we outlawed alcohol.