Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
No kidding let the cops , judge ,lawyers, tax dollars go after the real criminals. again tax and treat as alcohol & use money for schools,roads and political reform or whatever.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
no, seriously, what does the L stand for? i've heard a LOT of odd terminology for it before, but this one is beyond me... must be a cultural difference?

personally, i like my old B. most of my friends are J people. how wasteful. good at parties tho, i've lost most of my good B's to people with sticky fingers :p

hehe...

does L refer (not reefer, you naughty stoners) to the shape of the pipe? i could see that...

pnw

myjourneyy

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2003
Atlanta
Originally posted by paulwhannel
no, seriously, what does the L stand for? i've heard a LOT of odd terminology for it before, but this one is beyond me... must be a cultural difference?

Okey-dokey....ever since Nelly's Ride Wit Me, this question has been driving me nuts. I asked everyone I've ever met who smokes dope and searched all over the net with no results. Everyone seems to know what it means but not why.

Oddly enough, a possible answer was given to me by Lil' Troy when "Wanna Be a Baller" followed "Ride Wit Me" in my mp3 playlist. There's a line about 20 Lorenzos and smoke in his nose. So I looked up Lorenzos which are cigars. SO, putting two and two together, I'm going with the theory that an L refers to a blunt, as opposed to a "J," possibly based on this brand of cigar. (I later ran across an explanation that the L comes from the "White Owl" brand of cigars being used for blunts but either way, I think I'm on to something.)

Just my 2 cents. I haven't even smoked dope since college but things like this get into my head and I have to find an answer. :)

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
right on

good job with the L thing.

the hip-hop world has a funny way of influencing language. anways...

(aka audi 5000; aka im audi; aka im outta here)

peace.

myjourneyy

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2003
Atlanta
Re: right on

Originally posted by neut

(aka audi 5000; aka im audi; aka im outta here)

I would never in my entire life have been able to track that chain of events. I mean, talk about a stretch. I'm still at the skill level of being proud of myself that I know 411 means "information." I think I got old somehow. Woe is me.

Universal Jack

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2003
Canada
This is my first post and wouldn't you know it's about weed:p. I feel for you guys:(. The pot laws were put into place to protect the ol' boys (booze, tobacco) from competition.Since then there has been a legal industry built around it. How many jobs have been created around enforcing bogus pot laws?Thousands?Hundreds of thousands? How many lives ruined because of criminal records? I'm from Canada. Our Liberal govt. is trying to decriminalize it as we smo...er...speak. We have been getting tons of pressure from the States not to because as everybody knows the U.S. (politicians) feel that everybodies business is thier business. They're even trying to stop cheap prescription drugs from making thier way down from Canada just to protect the giant Pharms. It's going to take a monumental effort to change the mindset of politicians there. The thing that gets me is that most of the politicians, except some of the more anal Republican types, have smoked pot. I don't see legalization happening in the States in my lifetime. But you guys are welcome to come up here and smoke the best bud grown in the most progressive country in the...hack!cough!world:D

P.S. You should hear the flack were taking over our gay marriage rights. As if that is going to effect anything in the Excited States.
P.P.S. Here are some stats showing the drug death toll across Canada in 1995, just multiply by 10 for the U.S.: • Due to alcohol 4,685 or 4.5% of all deaths
• Due to tobacco: 23,352 or 21% of all deaths
• Due to ALL illegal drugs: 691 or 0.6% of all deaths
nuff said

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Originally posted by Universal Jack
But you guys are welcome to come up here and smoke the best bud grown in the most progressive country in the...hack!cough!world:D

We get plety of BC bud around the northwest...it gets you by, but stuff from Humbolt or a few places in Oregon are were it's at...we're talkin bluberry, super skunk, cat piss (local name), and many more that have made the cannabis cup end up around here. i enjoy living here for that reason...and the fact that not too many people know about this little uncorrupted (HA) get away. too bad the cops like to smoke...they always confiscate your ****...then it ends up on the streets anyways...dirty bastards. ;)

peace.

jupiterman1

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2005
Let a Brit Enlighten y'all

I'm from Britain and over here its commonly known that an L (which is referred to in Nelly's song) is 2 cigarette papers joined together. 1 is joined across the width of the other to make a spliff longer . That's it. It's not a pipe or anything. I can make a drawing if u like.

OK.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
fraeone said:
Hmm.. they need to do a study on Weed and appetites.. I seem to always be hungry after I burn an L.

Anyone else experiencing these strange side effects? ;p

well, you say you walk the walk, but you certainly dont talk the talk.

you dont know what the "munchies" are, and you refer to a "j" and as an "L"

dude, you need to spend a few days in Amsterdam.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
hah, its funny people are even surprised that drugs mess up your system. the fact it causes mental illness (or is at least a catalyst for it) should be enough reason to not touch mind altering drugs in the first place.

still, i suppose its like cigarettes.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
wdlove said:
They studied 22 men in Buffalo, NY that smoked Marijuana 14 times per week for over 5 years. They were found to have decreased seminal fluid, decrease sperm, a decrease swimming ability. The result is a decrease in fertility. They were tested against 59 fertile men that were able to cause pregancy.

Thank god. The last thing I need is a mini me running around. This report makes me want to smoke more pot.

But in all seriousness, a 22-person sample seems awfully small for a scientific experiment. This report won't get much publicity because it is fundamentally flawed in that way. If it had been a study of 2,000 men, then it would have been much more meaningful.

In fact, without getting too technical, that sample is too small to assume a lot of things that I bet the researchers assumed to make their lives easier, such as a normal sample distribution, z- or t-test distributions, etc.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
These results come as no surprise to me. Pot is a drug, of course it's going to have adverse effects on the human body, as do all drugs. Drugs alter your mind and do damage to your body - grant it, it's to different degrees, but the fact remains the same.

As for legalizing pot, sure, why the hell not - caffeine, nicotine and alcohol are already legal and they're drugs. Just tax the hell out of pot and you got yourself a great little revenue source! Cigarettes are roughly $10 a pack here in Canada and I think it's great - make people pay through they nose if they care so little about themselves and their own health and well-being that they want to kill themselves. The same for pot - the tax potential is huge! After that, might as well legalize heroin, crack and cocaine too, they're drugs as well just like pot - then watch the money flow in to the government's coffers! :cool:

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Universal Jack said:
This is my first post and wouldn't you know it's about weed:p. I feel for you guys:(. The pot laws were put into place to protect the ol' boys (booze, tobacco) from competition.Since then there has been a legal industry built around it. How many jobs have been created around enforcing bogus pot laws?Thousands?Hundreds of thousands? How many lives ruined because of criminal records? I'm from Canada. Our Liberal govt. is trying to decriminalize it as we smo...er...speak. We have been getting tons of pressure from the States not to because as everybody knows the U.S. (politicians) feel that everybodies business is thier business. They're even trying to stop cheap prescription drugs from making thier way down from Canada just to protect the giant Pharms. It's going to take a monumental effort to change the mindset of politicians there. The thing that gets me is that most of the politicians, except some of the more anal Republican types, have smoked pot. I don't see legalization happening in the States in my lifetime. But you guys are welcome to come up here and smoke the best bud grown in the most progressive country in the...hack!cough!world:D

P.S. You should hear the flack were taking over our gay marriage rights. As if that is going to effect anything in the Excited States.
P.P.S. Here are some stats showing the drug death toll across Canada in 1995, just multiply by 10 for the U.S.: • Due to alcohol 4,685 or 4.5% of all deaths
• Due to tobacco: 23,352 or 21% of all deaths
• Due to ALL illegal drugs: 691 or 0.6% of all deaths
nuff said
Shame on you for telling the Truth! U.S. Government doesnt like Honesty,Truth or the facts. didnt you know?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I wish I could smoke pot.

Seriously, if it wouldn't make me start smoking again and if it were not illegal, I'd probably smoke a blunt every now and then.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Dont Hurt Me said:
Shame on you for telling the Truth! U.S. Government doesnt like Honesty,Truth or the facts. didnt you know?

Yeah, someone should really fill that guy in... ;) Ah, it's funny because it's true though! And I am proud to be a Canadian for reasons just like that, among many others. :cool:

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2005
Its like everything in this world, Use Moderation.
Eating too much peanut butter (1 jar) everyday for 5 years will cause cancer.

Funny thing is that pot makes me more menatally and physically active then lathargic? :eek:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
neildmitchell said:
Its like everything in this world, Use Moderation.
Eating too much peanut butter (1 jar) everyday for 5 years will cause cancer.

I follow this belief as well - everything in moderation. As you say, eating/drinking too much of anything is a bad thing - hell, even drinking too much water is bad for you.

I would make an exception however when it comes to poison. ;) I don't think a teaspoon of arsenic a day, a cancer stick a day, or a shot of heroin a day is alright, just because it is "in moderation". But then, where do you draw the line on what is "poison" and what isn't? Although I don't do mind-altering drugs like crack and pot, nor do I smoke or drink coffee, I enjoy a pint of beer or a glass of red wine once or twice a week, which are drugs as well, so I guess I'm guilty in some small way myself. ;)

neildmitchell said:
Funny thing is that pot makes me more menatally and physically active then lathargic? :eek:

I'm sure many cocaine addicts would claim the same effects as well. :p :cool:

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Just more of the control power hungry feds turning folks, kids whoever into criminals to support their police state. 5 years with a judge having no input at all. Feds are out of control and will use their War on terror to do this. Meanwhile the same federal govt is giving weed everyday to people for their medical condition because they were grandfathered in before this police state nonsense based on Law based on Lies. Nothing more then a govt bent on making everyone a criminal except for their Bible thumpers. Hypocrits pure and simple.

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
jupiterman1 said:
I'm from Britain and over here its commonly known that an L (which is referred to in Nelly's song) is 2 cigarette papers joined together. 1 is joined across the width of the other to make a spliff longer . That's it. It's not a pipe or anything. I can make a drawing if u like.

OK.

Only a brit would call a "j" a.."spliff"! :rolleyes:

You are on the "wrong" side of the channel, mate! I'd love to see your drawing and while you are at it, pls explain our friends on the other side of the pond the concept of a filter... I am tired of burning my lips when I visit! :D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
raggedjimmi said:
hah, its funny people are even surprised that drugs mess up your system. the fact it causes mental illness (or is at least a catalyst for it) should be enough reason to not touch mind altering drugs in the first place.

still, i suppose its like cigarettes.
Sounds like a voice of experience, make accusations and then admit you never touched it. Ha Ha HA LOL, thats funny. :D Im still waiting for my Tits to grow. :eek:

PBGPowerbook

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Dros said:
I hope they legalize it just so we don't have to hear all these goofy nicknames for it and innuendo about using it!
yeah goofy nicknames like cigs, fags, booze, etc

Anyway, "L" comes from the name of a blunt cigar "El Producto" or "El" which just turned to "L." It usually thus refers to a blunt, though some people take liberties to use it for a joint. I am from St. Louis (same as Nelly) so I can assure you that is what he is referring to. It IS NOT the right angle of a small pipe or the L-shape of a Euro joint. BTW "spliff" here (USA?) means specifically a joint that has tobacco added to the mix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.